A wheel gun thread on a knife forum S&W Model 19 alternative

cchu518

Basic Member
Hey Folks,
I know you guys have an opinion about this but the wife wants a wheelgun, more specifically S&W Model 19 but all the old collector coots/hoarders out there have the prices jacked up on these guys and the new ones aren't available.

So in you opinions' what would be a good alternative? 4 inch barrel chambered in .357/38+p?

I've been a 686 lover since they first came out. Over the years I have had at least six. For many years I shot one in competition. Here is the latest, a PC 686. Well balanced and has "style".686 1.JPG686 2.JPG

Would a 686 or 686+ work for her?

I carried a Model 19 as an agent years ago, (2.5" barrel), but I never did own one. Mine were issued.

I owned a 686+ for a few years but sold it to my neighbor.

The 686 L frame is larger than a K frame model 19. The K frame may fit a the female hand better.

I've been pushing a 686 at her hard, I'm unsure why she is hooked on the Model 19, I think it's because it's a collectible and slightly lighter. That said I think that 686 should definitely be in the mix of suggestions.

The 686 L frame is larger than a K frame model 19. The K frame may fit a the female hand better.
That was her rationale btw but she likes full size semi autos so maybe I can rent the 686 for some range time.

Ooohhhh, that's a good one...
Yeah, I have a feeling the days of the old $300 surplus S&W 19 are behind us. Honestly, I think I would just pony up the cash for one if you find one you like. It will still be way less than any new Ruger GP or SP you can find in stock. Even a S&W 686 4" is probably impossible to find right now. I bet the market is flooded with overpriced airweight snubs though.

Dang, don't mind me. I was thinking of all the model 10s I used to see cheap. A bit rusty on my Smiths...

Last edited:
I haven't got to shoot one, but I have been very intrigued by the m69 for several years now. You might check that one out.

My bad, the 69 is 44mag. I meant 66.

That was her rationale btw but she likes full size semi autos so maybe I can rent the 686 for some range time.
Unless she plans on shooting full bore magnums, The model 19 may be better suited. Although the 686 will loosen up too on a steady diet of magnums. The model 27 I had years ago would shoot magnums all day long. The model 19 would also be easier to conceal than a 686.

Unless she plans on shooting full bore magnums, The model 19 may be better suited. Although the 686 will loosen up too on a steady diet of magnums. The model 27 I had years ago would shoot magnums all day long.
The 686 was made for a steady diet of magnum ammo.

Hey Folks,
I know you guys have an opinion about this but the wife wants a wheelgun, more specifically S&W Model 19 but all the old collector coots/hoarders out there have the prices jacked up on these guys and the new ones aren't available.

So in you opinions' what would be a good alternative? 4 inch barrel chambered in .357/38+p?
I like the 686 fine, but I prefer my double action Ruger GP100 4 inch barrel in .357/38+p.

The model wouldn’t really “loosen up” per se, but the hot loaded 125 grain SJHP ammo would flame cut the top strap to the point where it would be hanging on by a thread. Thin and strangely shaped forcing cone was supposedly the culprit. I’ve owned my 686 for about 7-8 years and put over 5k worth of magnum rounds through it. Tight as the day I got it.

I also had a model 28 highway patrolman. Put around 3k through that one. Owned it 12 years. Shot the 686 much more due to the fact it was my carry gun for a good while.

I've owned a model 19, 686, and model 27. Both the 19 and 686 will shoot loose on a steady diet of magnums.
When you say it shot loose, are you talking about the side plate screws working themselves loose? Or the timing being sloppy or the cylinder developing end shake?

When you say it shot loose, are you talking about the side plate screws working themselves loose? Or the timing being sloppy or the cylinder developing end shake?
End shake from the frame stretching. The load you mentioned is not a real hot load., and 5000 rounds is not much of a test.

End shake from the frame stretching. The load you mentioned is not a real hot load., and 5000 rounds is not much of a test.
Frame stretching to the point of firearm damage is extremely rare. As to 5000 rounds not being a lot, I’m not going to shoot a lot of buffalo bore or launch a 158 over 15-20 grains of h110 through my 686. I doubt average person is going to buy a wheelgun and punish themselves by putting the hottest rounds through it. Most people that buy a .357 revolver are going to shoot SAAMI spec factory 357 or 38 special through. If they want to experiment, they’ll buy a Ruger Redhawk.

Back