A2 Bager Attack Variant?

randucci

Stag pocket/slip joint collector
Platinum Member
Would this .285 thick, A2 Bager Attack be considered a variant because of the serrations and the no-paint on the handle? Other than the paint comming off in a few places, it is in nice condition.

was that sheath factory?

the serrations would make it a variant, though im not sure how rare of one. the ground off coating on the handles seems to be fairly standard, it helps smooth out the transition between handle slabs and sthe handle steel

Are those serrations factory? Hopefully someone in the know can shed some light on it. Very interesting at the very least.
:D

P.S. Around here nice isn't the word for used/worn/beat knifes. Just say it has some character and bring it to blade and some yahoo will probably buy you a beer. Just don't let them wander off with it as you tilt the glass up.....that's the second oldest trick in the book.

p.p.s. also make sure you don't let any gentleman from idaho hold your badger no matter how trustworthy he looks

;)

That's an interesting piece.

If the serrations were done at the Busse Shop I'd consider it a variant.

(what follows is my own opinion and the way I judge variants)
I have a criteria when looking at and buying variants.
1) Is it a Busse original or did the Busse shop do the work?
2) How much variation from a regular production piece is it (ie. minor work done, medium work done, or major work done)
3) Is the piece that it is a variant of a current production or discontinued production piece
4) Is it a completely original piece from a regular production piece? (ie what has now become known as a GFD)
5) Is it a full custom piece? (although these may not be considered variants I'll add them in as they are unique and should be discussed in this topic)
6) What is the condition of the piece? (new, used and even the history of the piece if it can be determined)
7) The size of the piece(some of the sizes of variants are more rare than others) and the size in general influences the value.

Each of these points helps me judge the knife (variant) and what the approximate value is. Of course some of these points may become mute depending on the piece.

For example I have an all black Killer B, that has had the choil enlarged. I consider this a minor variant, however, I also consider it rare because it is the only one I've ever seen like it. I also consider it rare because in general the all black ones are more rare. Finally I consider it worth a little more because I know a bit of the history and I know that this enlarged choil was added by Jerry himself. (My understanding is that the major variations are all done by Jerry but some of the minor "tweaks" may have been done by someone else in the shop) Is it worth a tremendous amount more than a regular KB, no probably not, but it is unique.
I also own the Red Cross variant, the one that is now pictured in my avatar.
I consider this a major variant or a GFD, and I consider it worth much more than a regular production piece of the same size. My reasons follow.
1) It is one of a kind, completely original
2) My understanding is that it probably will not be reproduced because of the handle design (straight handle Battle Mistress). Any newer ones will be made from a current pattern
3) It is new, never used(although on this piece this played little in my estimate of value)
4) Jerry made this himself.
5) It is a large piece.

Now, back to your Badger Attack, I would consider it a minor variant(sorry nothing personal ;) ) However, I would also consider it rare as I've not seen many like this (maybe one other) I would not be overly concerned about the use but it would have a little bit of influence in my estimate of value. And at the time this one was made my guess is that Jerry may have added the serrations(this is just a guess, but based on the fact that his shop was smaller and hence he was probably doing more of the unique stuff)
It is also unique because it can not be easily made at this time, since the straight handled Badger is discontinued, you can not get one from the shop like it now. Of course this is all based on the assumption that the serrations were added at the Busse shop. (If the serrations were not added at the shop I actually would consider them as a huge decrease in value) Also if you bought this as a user and just thought it was cool then you can throw all my post out the window. Because if I were buying a knife to carry that would work and look cool, I'd buy that BA in a heart beat.

The above post is just my opinion and probably wrong ;):D:D

A look into Eric's mind. Potentially scary, but in this case, very illuminating, well written, and informative!

Thanks Eric.

Can you say that again in one breath?

Cheers,
BJB :D

nice knife! i have never seen busse serrations like that before, anybody else?

Thanks Eric for the information, it is very useful. I did buy it sight unseen and because I thought it sounded cool. It is the first old BA that I have owned, so I am no very familar with the older knives.

The person I got the knife from said he purchased it from Busse with the serrations on it. It has a pattern of one long then two short, one long then two short, one long then two short. They are very precisely made and evenly cut, certainly not a home job.

What was the normal thickness of the A2 Bager Attacks? This one measures .285 including the paint.

Cool! Not that many factory serrations that I've seen.

I saw a SH1 with them I think....

I like the sheath a bunch!

Seth, the serrations do look like (from the back side) the ones on the SH that you posted.

As far as Cordura goes, I have purchased it before at a local place to make some bags out of, it is called:
Seattle Fabrics
Address: 8702 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103
Phone: (206) 525-0670

They specialize in fabrics for heavy use items like sailing applications, tents, backpacks, and such. They sell different weights and colors (even camo) of Cordura and Gortex.
The guy I received the knife from told me the maker of the sheath, but I forgot and have emailed him for it. The sheath was not from Busse, it is made to be a be used as a shoulder or under arm mount.

I guess I ended up with this knife. Very unusual sheath system, like a shoulder holster. Thought I would share this for those with an interest in this kind of carry system

3T8GeuQ.jpg

BigDMZv.jpg

Interesting is the canvas over kydex. It would be nice to know who made it, but there is no info on it that I can find.

Back