Abomination Combination?

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Daring Parings?

Let's talk about individual features also. The V42 has beautiful features, I just don't have a purpose for all of them in one knife (other than for admiring).

I always consider the function of a design first, what are you gonna do with it? Sometimes though, knives just have great features, like these two below.

Yes, strange things live in my head, we know this, but does anyone else think that these two could make a functional progeny?
1226.JPG 41nidJanTcL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Daring Parings?

Let's talk about individual features also. The V52 has beautiful features, I just don't have a purpose for all of them in one knife (other than for admiring).

I always consider the function of a design first, what are you gonna do with it? Sometimes though, knives just have great features, like these two below.

Yes, strange things live in my head, we know this, but does anyone else think that these two could make a functional progeny?
View attachment 990736 View attachment 990738
I like your energy...could be a fun project!
Are you thinking combat, hunting or just GP?
You got the leather handles down to an art :thumbsup:

I think a very small GP could be made with characteristics of both.....

1. Straight, thin cylinder handle of the V42
2. Single guard of the Finn
3. Single edge...(swedged spear point)
4. Blade/handle ratio of the Finn
5. Cylindrical pommel of the V42 but rounded at the butt

Overall length under 7"
Nickel silver guard and pommel
Handle in stacked leather.
Very narrow handle and pommel, especially towards the rear.

My problem considering this project is - that I think the 1st knife is rather ghastly. :(
Well, at the least, generic.

Proportions - perhaps distorted by the photo - are all wrong. IMHO :rolleyes:
• The blade is not tall enough - spine to edge
• the handle is too big relative to the blade proportions
• 1/2 guard is pitiful whereas the pommel is oversized
• I am not a big fan of candy striping mixed in with stacked leather (which I generally prefer above all handle materials). Yup - you got leather stacking mastered. :thumbsup:

The only thing I don't like about the dagger is the guard though I can't really tell what I'm looking at. Is that a strip of leather glued to the top of the metal? The pointy pommel is OK but would prefer rounded. Still, this is not a knife I would ever choose to own.

Having said that ^ I am confident that you could create a wonderful hybrid. Very cool idea for a project. Your title pretty much sums up my response to these 2 knives :confused: :D

Ray

I agree on most points Ray. I don't like the details of the Finn at all, but I like the concept and size. The V42 is iconic and dreamy in a misericorde kind of way, I do like the curves of the barrel style handle.

Handle/blade ration on the Finn is awkward, I think the thin barrel of the V42 with a smooth pommel might cure that.

I like the little Finn knife for the most part but I think the blade is a bit small for a deer knife but probably about right for EDC. The V42 looks cool, but I think it's all around pretty useless. I don't like cylindrical handles on knives I like oval cross section handles, I also like the rounded butt caps better than the pointed, and preferably a butt with a birds beak. I like crown stag handles the best, but they are not the most comfortable, for EDC I would go with a round or a roll, I'm not crazy about tapers because I'm not a fan of narrow handles. I also like a little wider blade in a drop point pattern, they seem to be the most functional for performing a wide variety of tasks. As far as guard, single or double it doesn't make much difference, as long a it's not too big, I make more double guards than single guards in keeping more with traditional Scagel styles. Sheaths, I like deep pouch sheaths or sheaths with keeper straps, I have not made a cross draw sheath or a sheath with a dangler yet, but the dangler idea is starting to grow on me. This is just my two cents, I'm looking forward to seeing where this project goes.

Well put Scott, I think that's what interests me about this idea, most of the features I would use for a small, almost miniature "EDC" like this, I would never use on a normal fixed blade. This thing would be it's own little animal. Like a Hot Wheels car, looks awesome but wouldn't really work if it were blown up to scale full size. That probably didn't make a bit of sense lol.

I think the tough part about small fixed blades is having a design that says, "I can do more than a slipjoint that disappears in my pocket, and almost as much as a full sized fixed blade that noticeably hangs on my belt. I think that's why keeping it under 7" interests me, you could damn near make a pocket sheath for it, and a rounded butt wouldn't try to grab clothing as much crossdraw, vertical, back pocket or front. There's a lot of strange little considerations that I have for these, we'll see how it goes.

The question rolling around in my head now is, do I challenge myself to forge these or go with stock removal. A tiny amount of "Brut de Forge" would be terribly interesting on these.

I do like the Brute de Forge idea, come to think of I like the pocket knife idea also. As far as a pocket sheath I think I would like one with a squared or slightly rounded off tip to sit in a back pocket better and to also have a belt loop attachment as also. I made a sheath a while back for a guy for a small German made knife he had found in an old house he was working on. The knife had about a 3" blade and about a 3" handle. He found a pocket sharpening steel that was with the knife and wanted the sheath to hold both so I made a sheath for the knife with a loop to hold the sharpening steel. It was kind of neat the way it turned out but unfortunately I didn't get any pics of it.

Last edited:
Great idea Scott, maybe an eyelet in the sheath as well so you could attach a lanyard if you wanted. I can see that and I'm liking it. Nice leather lanyard with a forged clip on the end for a belt loop.... oh yesssss

Great idea Scott, maybe an eyelet in the sheath as well so you could attach a lanyard if you wanted. I can see that and I'm liking it. Nice leather lanyard with a forged clip on the end for a belt loop.... oh yesssss
Maybe a take on the Buckaroo sheath:
1LyVsbK.jpg

QQwYSi8.jpg

I knew I seen this somewhere in your forum John. Something like this is just about perfect for pocket carry for a small fixed blade. I like this because it has a belt loop carry and a removable dangler option. Could make the dangler length adjustable like the Buckaroo sheath.LIKE Dangler with regular loop copy.jpg

Thats a nice setup, Grizzle does awesome work. I like that idea Scott, a removable buckaroo type strap with a snap belt loop.

Back