Absolutly sick to my stomach.....

Well I went back to the scout camp and spent several hours looking for the piece from the blade with no luck. I'm going to take a metal detector out and try again. Hoping if I find it it will help shed light on this.

I would definitely speak to Yangdu about this, hopefully something can be worked out, but if not I understand the limitations of the warranty and why.

If the steel is as grainy as it looks it IS a manufacturing issue. Over heating of the steel both during the forging and hardening stages causes grain growth and significantly weakens the steel (NOT tempering or any subsequent polishing, sharpening, etc~the temp isn't high enough). Other possibilities are inclusions in the steel or a crack that was in the used spring stock (faulty materials issue), or an internal crack that formed in the blade when it was quenched.

Grinding out that large of a chip also probably would not yield good results as it goes almost to the fuller. Removing it will almost surely remove most if not all of the hardened section of this blade (a good etching would reveal this).

Best,
Steve

I would definitely speak to Yangdu about this, hopefully something can be worked out, but if not I understand the limitations of the warranty and why.

If the steel is as grainy as it looks it IS a manufacturing issue. Over heating of the steel both during the forging and hardening stages causes grain growth and significantly weakens the steel (NOT tempering or any subsequent polishing, sharpening, etc~the temp isn't high enough). Other possibilities are inclusions in the steel or a crack that was in the used spring stock (faulty materials issue), or an internal crack that formed in the blade when it was quenched.

Grinding out that large of a chip also probably would not yield good results as it goes almost to the fuller. Removing it will almost surely remove most if not all of the hardened section of this blade (a good etching would reveal this).

Best,
Steve

+1 for the etching route, mirror polish means the differential temper will reveal itself fairly early. If the chunk extends past the hamon, you've got a "fatal" flaw. Although it could make a good start for a reforging project.

badasp118, the warranty is bound to the original buyer only. Since you are police offficer and who served for our wonderful country I will be more then happy to send you a replacement for free of charge when the AK Bowie becomes available.
Email me your mailing address.

I have to say thank you so very much Auntie. I very much appreciate this and I will E-mail my address to you. Thank you again to all who have speculated on this tragady and for the kind treatment I have received.
Ssg stahl
Badasp118

I agree.......says something about the company and the people that run it. It is apprectited also......

I am betting it was just a natural flaw and I know HI will make you happy eventually. No worries! It's still cool-looking and would take off a zombies' head with no hesitation.

Back