Accessories for the Ka-Bar Becker BK9 sheath?

It looks like (the standard nylon sheath, 2012) has a slot for the Ka-bar BK 13 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00373XYUK/ ) (with a kydex insert). It also has a pouch closed with a velcro strap. Any ideas of what I could put in each of those slots?

Any knives besides the BK13? Or is that a nice one to use? I wonder if it's necessary, if I have a 4" utility knife.

I was thinking a small sharpening stone for the pouch. Is there a good one that'll fit? Or is there a better use for the pocket?

My goal is "survival tools" so the stone may not be the best use.

Thanks!
(Cross posted in the Ka-bar forum.)

Multi tool, ferro rod, sharpener.
Two of three should fit.
Bonus if you can get all three in there.

I have a bk13, a couple of murphs sharpening stones and a leatherman blast fitting in mine right now. Ill probably take out the leatherman since i never use it and add an altoids tin for small survival stuff... I would suggest using 550 cord on the sheath instead of putting it in the pocket, it takes up too much space and in my opinion looks great if you do a decent wrap on the sheath.

You have a good point, I just never liked the 550 wrap on my nylon sheaths but I do it on my ChestNut kydex and love it.

Keep it under the seat of your truck and fill the bed with whiskey and bacon. Then cram a shotgun, sleeping bag, tarp, and a chainsaw in there somewhere. Now you're ready for anything.

You have a good point, I just never liked the 550 wrap on my nylon sheaths but I do it on my ChestNut kydex and love it.

I agree it looks better on kydex. I spent an hour or so trying to figure out a cool looking wrap that didnt get in the way for the 9 sheath, finally i just wrapped some around the molle straps on the back of the sheath, so its not visible or in the way.

WW has a good point. An altoids tin fits nice and snug.
Amazing how much stuff you can cram in there.

+1 for the altoids tin. Handy little things. I have a little spool of 550 coiled up that I tuck on top of the tin, under the flap. No remora yet, but I'd like to get one - so my secondary sheath sits empty.

Here's my BK7 sheath on my RUSH 24 pack

9281_10151308903172533_568332481_n.jpg

Herres some stuff I threw into the pouch on my 7...The ferro rod, bank line and flashlight would probabaly be my top picks if I had to ditch everything else.

310 by CamH_16, on Flickr

These are great all. What is the set, Cam? Flashlight+whistle. Pillbox; magnesium bar? What is the one with the yellow band?

I think the pillbox is a nice one (or at least I own a metal pillbox with a seal on it that might be useful).

Anyone recommend a good, small stone?

That's a ferro rod with the yellow band.

The DMT diamond cards will fit well into an altoids tin.

These are great all. What is the set, Cam? Flashlight+whistle. Pillbox; magnesium bar? What is the one with the yellow band?

I think the pillbox is a nice one (or at least I own a metal pillbox with a seal on it that might be useful).

Anyone recommend a good, small stone?

The flashlight is a little photon freedom copy (Pack of 10 are $4.70ish so that's 47 cents ea. shipped) attached to a little aerowave end cord whistle.

The pillbox has some cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly (I stress soaked...Soaking increases the burn time from about 3 mins to 10) with about a foot of duct tape around it. Ripped the ferro rod out of those UST blast matches since I hated the concept of how you had to strike it and added a few inches of blaze orange tape just as a marker. Added a striker too since I didn't square the spine on my 7 where this kit resides.

Went with bank line since its thinner than 550 so you can store more of it.

For stones I think the one Ethan uses is a Norton pocket india stone.

That's a ferro rod with the yellow band.

The DMT diamond cards will fit well into an altoids tin.

Its actually orange duct tape...In fact its so damn orange my camera can't even pick it up :D.

Ah thanks. Can you catch the petroleum jelly balls with just the sparks? I have a magnesium bar that helps get the sparks really hot (and even then it's hard to start a fire).

Ah thanks. Can you catch the petroleum jelly balls with just the sparks? I have a magnesium bar that helps get the sparks really hot (and even then it's hard to start a fire).

If you fluff out the ball then yeah, would probably be very hard otherwise since its all compressed and theres no small fibers to catch the spark.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did get a Remora BK 13. It comes with a nice little sheath. I wonder if anyone has taken the kydex insert out of the nylon BK 9 sheath? I tried to pull, but it seems fixed in there. I think without the insert, the entire sheath for the neck-knife might well fit in that section (and be removable to use as a neck knife). Anyone played with this? ...With the kydex insert in there, the new sheath does not fit in that slot.

Back