Accuracy International/Tac Ops

Vinnie or Duane:
The AI guns are one of the finest bolt guns I've ever handled. I don't own one yet but I have a question. Do you guys think the chassis of these guns is what makes them so tough? Do you think a Remington M700 mounted in one of the AICS systems could be subjected to as much( or almost as much) punishment as a full blown AI factory rifle?

Thanks,

MO

Hey Vinnie,
You don't know sh*t about me. I asked a simple question. What the f*ck is with your reply. I had hoped to receive an intelligent answer. I grew up with a rifle in my hands. (ex-farm boy)I would be happy to go shooting with you sometime and then we can go shoot at running coyotes.
So does anybody care to answer my scope question?

Congratulations Duane,
That is one heck of an envious position to have. My father purchased an AWM 300 Win Mag at Knob Creek last Fall, and all that I can say is AMAZING!
I recently sold my Vollmer converted HK SR9T to MSG90 in hopes of getting one myself soon (? caliber). It will be mine! Oh yes,...it will be mine!:)

Tom,
Your right I don't know anything about you. And you don't know anything about me. Since you won't let anyone e-mail you I will leave this as is. I'm not trying to start a fight over this. I simply replied to what you said. If you care to further pursue this feal free to e-mail me at rs8541@worldnet.att.net So I would appreciate anything else you have to say or challange me with be done off the forum. I'm trying to learn better bedside manners and people like you make it very hard. Tell me again what the purpose of shooting a coyote is?

Vinnie

Molexey,
Your going to have to get Duane to answer that for yu. I really don't know enough about the construction of the rifles to answer that for you.

Vinnie

Thanks Vinnie. My guess is the chassis has a lot to do with their durabilty but from looking at the factory rifles I know there is even more to them than just the stock. Just how much punishment have you seen one of these take?

MO

Check out the new issue of "GUNS." There is a big AI article that even shows the guns without the stock on it to prive how solid it is. Great article on Rob Simonich too.

The AICS's that I've seen don't look to be the same fit and finish as the receiver/stock of the AW/AWP/AWM family. Of course, they cost a lot less, too. :)

Hey.
OK. Here we go.
A Remington in an AICS will take more abuse than a Remington (H&S Precision) set-up will, however, the strength ot the AI rifle lies in the whole package. It is a flat bottom receiver with an integral lug rather than a two piece configuration. It is bolted and epoxied onto the chassis and all the surfaces mate 100%. With the Remington setup, far less surface area ia available and there are still onle the original two attaching fasteners. Now with all that said if you are and individual who does not need that kind of durability, you can easily match and exceed (as TacOps has managed) the accuracy utilizing a Remington action. Bottom line ... two great systems with simalar but different applications.

Mr. Tom B,
This is a difinitive statement:
"Slamming a rifle on the ground and haveing it hold it's zero really doesn't mean much as far as the rifle itself is concerned."
And in this case, it's wrong.
It means a lot as far as the rifle is concerned. AI makes the base and rings.
Accuracy International's mount system utilizes three hexhead cap screws on a machined one piece base with integral rings. There are no #6 screws, there are no #8 screws, there are no throw levers. Just four cap screws that don't require a torque wrench holding the base onto a milled receiver. Rock Solid. I know Vince well and he is more than qualified to make the statement he made. He is well known and VERY accomplished in the Sniper Community where he currently teaches on of the more advanced courses in the world today. As far as his tact and diplomacy, well, if your email adx. would have been present, I'm sure he would have emailed you directly. Hopefully I have answered your scope question. Hang in there and enjoy our forum.

Mr. Wesley,
Get in touch with me via email and I will give you some great price quotes!

Mr. Hondo,
The competitve shooting world is in many groups. Mainly two, one is based on time/score. And the other, on pure accuracy. 300WM has long left the accuracy shooting due to the difficulty of headspacing a belted cartridge. 338Lapua on the other hand, is gaining popularity in the long range group. With a cavernous case capacity and a 300 grain projectile with a BC of better than .760 it is doing very well. Let me know if you want a price sheet sent to you.

Finally, I think both are great pieces of gear. But I think we are all leaving something out here. I am a die hard pre 64 Mod 70 guy. Am I the only old guy on this forum!?!
Slow Steady Squeez!
Duane Dwyer

Thanks Mr. Dwyer. What do you know about the new AE model? What are the major differences in the AE and the AW?

Thanks in advance,

MO

Thanks here too Duane!
I really appreciate the offer, but as my wife and I just had our first baby girl, it will be some time before I make any more firearm purchases. Striders are much easier to justify :D
I will email you when I am ready for my own AI; in the meantime, I will have to stick with my fathers.
Take care and keep making those wonderful customs!
Wesley

Amen to the pre 64 mod70. My favourite bolt of all time. Damn you have good taste.

Occasionally you find awesome deals on them b/c the owners/inheritors don't know their value :D

I've heard good things about the current Model 70 that Winchester puts out. Comments on the relative quality of the production/metallurgy?

Are Accuracy International rifles controlled feed like the mod 70 or push feed like the M700?

MO

Duwane ( and everybody else),
Howdy, I apologize for the way in which I worded my response/question. It was done very poorly and did not convey what I was trying to ask.I was Interested in your scope choices as I am familuar with the gun. I have e-mailed Vinnie and he answered several questions for me. Thanks.

No biggie Mr. Tom. Welcome aboard our testosterone rich forum!

1. AE vs. original AW action.
AE is an action that Accuracy Int. introduced mainly to the American market with a round receiver, less cost of manufacturing therefore a lesser retail price, yet still with many of the great qualities of the AW.
At this point in time, I can not speak from experience on the pros and cons of the AE as a shooting platform, however Accuracy International has an excellent customer service record as well as a reputation globaly to uphold and I don't see them jeopardizing that by releasing a substandard product. Let me know if you are interested in seeing a demo of A.I.'s rifles and I will find out who may be near you to do so. Contact me directly.

2. Yes I like pre 64 Winchester Mod. 70's very much and have heard good things of the new version of this rifle. I have not fired one yet but hope they have done it right. Time will tell.
Also, check out F.N.'s new version of the "Riflemans Rifle" (Pre 64 Mod 70). It looks fantastic and I have read great things.

3. Yes the A.I. action is a true controlled feed action.

And finally to get the egg off my face, just after making my comment about .300 Win Mag being a little off the path these days, the 1000 yard IBSA and NBSSA world record for group size was just destroyed by ... you guessed it ... a .300 Win Mag! 1.437 inch 5 shot group at 1000 yards. Ouch. Remington action, Hart barrel, McMillan stock.
Those interested in an A.I. price list, contact me via email directly and I will send you a copy.

Here's to calm days, calm water and wild women!
Duane Dwyer

thaaat's right Duane, no beating up on the .300 Win Mag now :p

calm days, calm water, and wild women?

I 2nd the motion! :D

Back