Acetylene wrench

eveled

Gold Member
I always wanted one of the knives with a square hole for an acetylene valve. They were for the old cars that had acetylene head lights.

They really didn’t use those headlights very long, so there are not that many of the knives out there. Plus they are hard to search for. “Knife with square hole”. Brings up mostly food processor blades and such.

Anyway I rescued a Syracuse Cutlery Beer Scout. After cleaning it up and adjusting the kick. I decided it was going to be my Acetylene knife. 5CBFE8C2-9AC8-4150-9225-6C9944415519.jpegBE4B697B-DF0E-47ED-92E0-C4775A90895E.jpegC0A95925-E370-47D9-BCF6-E006674C747F.jpeg3B4B2C7C-8C20-4CB2-A659-E772ED12A545.jpeg
I don’t have any acetylene headlamps, but as a plumber and a welder I thought this would be a good way to always have a spare acetylene wrench on me.

If anyone has an original I’d love to see it.

Last edited:
That's a pretty cool idea. I have been a welder for about 40 years and haven't seen that style of valve in many years but back in the day I would have loved to have had one like that. Great idea.

Nice work. Did you file or broach the hole?

Parker
Sorry I should have said that. I drilled the round hole then filed it into a square. I happened to have a tapered square file just the right size. But a triangular file would work too. I had to concentrate my pressure into the corners and keep working my way around. Being careful not to make the sides of the circle wider.

R RustyIron , sorry to disappoint you. Lol. I may have to take it to a car show and find a brass era car for a photo op. Maybe I’ll find a car owner who wants it more than I do and I can sell it.

If I had a tapered square file, I’d fashion it into a broach. Not that I can’t punch and drift a square hole, I just believe that broach making is a dying skill, and I’d like to make a tiny contribution to reviving it.

Nice job of filing it square, though.

Parker

If I had a tapered square file, I’d fashion it into a broach. Not that I can’t punch and drift a square hole, I just believe that broach making is a dying skill, and I’d like to make a tiny contribution to reviving it.

Nice job of filing it square, though.

Parker
Not too familiar with broaching. I thought about just hammering the file through the hole. I figured I’d either just crack the file, or split the bottle opener.
Plus my file is larger than the hole I need so I would have had to grind the fat end smaller.
I did not really want to ruin my file for a one time use.
Still the idea of making a broach is interesting. I’m far from a machinist, but I’m fascinated with the trade.

I’m far from a machinist, but I’m fascinated with the trade.
I’m kinda in the same boat. I buy antique lathes and milling machines cheap, set them on the lowest speed and just play with them, having no clue what I’m doing. Occasionally I accidentally make some useful bushing or flanged pin, and get all excited like a little kid. Then I break the next 3 things, so into the scrap bin they go.

Yah, one downside of broaches is that they’re only good for one size hole. A tapered file, as you demonstrated, is much more versatile.

Parker

Not too familiar with broaching. I thought about just hammering the file through the hole. I figured I’d either just crack the file, or split the bottle opener.
Plus my file is larger than the hole I need so I would have had to grind the fat end smaller.
I did not really want to ruin my file for a one time use.
Still the idea of making a broach is interesting. I’m far from a machinist, but I’m fascinated with the trade.
I found some Youtube videos on square holes in metal, usually having to do with putting carriage bolts in them. See

Both were used. See https://knowhow.napaonline.com/fire-automotive-lighting-history/ for a bit of history on car lighting.

Sorry I neglected to answer your question A Ace Rimmer thanks for picking up the slack J Joopie

Thanks, I found that very interesting. I had a carbide lamp when I was a kid. It's still around here somewhere. Not sure where to get carbide though! Some years ago I knew some folks who were into spelunking and still preferred carbide lamps to electric.

Thanks, I found that very interesting. I had a carbide lamp when I was a kid. It's still around here somewhere. Not sure where to get carbide though! Some years ago I knew some folks who were into spelunking and still preferred carbide lamps to electric.
Try Amazon for carbide.

I'd like to get a new carbide lamp so I don't have to use up scarce antique consumables. But all I've seen for the past several years is something from India that isn't well regarded. Mike Lites were very nice as a modern design, but were always hard to find and now impossible.

Last edited:
Back