acid and solder?

Do to a minor miscalculation:rolleyes: I need to etch a two part peice of damasteel after soldering together with stay-brite low temp solder(from jantz supply). This is a nonfunctional(will see no use/load) for show peice. Anybody have any experience with this or any idea how well the solder joint will resist the acid? I plan to try sulfuric first since it tends to be a little less caustic than muratic but if it doesn't work I'll go to the muratic. Also if if anyone has any idea if I should go with a long cold soak or short hot soak? I usually use hot muratic on the damasteel.

You will have to give the solder joint a brighten up with a wire brush, but FC will work (don't ask me how I know).The solder won't be eaten away by the FC.Make a test piece with some scrap and try it in the acid. It should be OK,too.
Stacy

Simply coat the solder line with clear fingernail polish. When done, clean off the f/n polish with f/n remover! Done! Next project!!!

I'll try the FC though I haven't had much luck with it on the damasteel. How long have you been letting yours soak? The muratic and sulfuric acid I use both turn the fingernail polish to runny goop and eat up underneath it with in about the first 2-5 minutes of soak when etching damasteel. I've been using vasoline and blue masking tape with moderate success on the damasteel. Don't know why but this stuff is a pain in the butt to etch. Other than that I really like the way it works and turns out. Thanks for the suggestions I'll try to get some pics posted when and if I get it worked out.

Back