Acid etched blades?

Are the patterns actually in the contour of the blade surface or are they just surface discolorations?

Are the patterns actually in the contour of the blade surface or are they just surface discolorations?

Depends on how closely you measure. For all intents and purposes, it's just on the surface. If you measured with an electron microscope, the contour would be affected.

I'm not sure what you are calling pattern. Most of the acid etched blades I've seen are stonewashed after etching. In that context, as knarfeng said, it's essentially a disruption of the finish.

Maybe I don't understand the question.
I believe I do.
There is acid etched and then there is ACID ETCHED.
e.g. :
See this book for the latter

IMG_4783.jpg

In these examples the metal is removed by the acid to such a degree you could hook your fingernail on the patern. The knives are left in a strong acid bath of Aqua Regia with a tar "resist". Equal parts asphaltum and beeswax.
The resist is varied to produce varying degrees of etch depth and returned to the vat.
There is enough activity that bubbles are forming on the surface that must be removed with a feather.
GOOD STUFF !
(when I was a kid I thought I might do this (make custom knives) as a side vocation with other metal crafts I was into)

IMG_4790.JPG
IMG_4789.jpg

Last edited:
Back