Acid etching. I need some advice.

Hi everyone
I recently purchased some ferric chloride because I wanted to teach myself how to acid etch,my first attempt went well on 8cr13mov a nice clear etch. I poured the f.c. back into the bottle after use as I heard it was reusable, but now it doesn't seem to be etching anywhere near as good on another knife. Although I'm not etching on the blade in my most recent attempt so the handle material could be a different type of steel I suppose.
Please can someone help my out with some advice

Ferric is very reusable. I made a batch six months ago and have used it on probably three or four knives with no decline in performance.

If you're not getting the desired results you may need to let it soak longer, also make sure whatever you're trying to etch is completely clean and degreased. Hot soapy water, isopropyl or simple green should help remove any oils.

Thank you soo much for your input Brando, I've already done some trivial runs with a knife and it work out really well with less time in the soak, I realised last night after posting this thread that I'm attempting to etch handle scales,taking into account the weight-size ration of the piece I have a sneaky suspicion that its actually made of aluminium which could explain why the etch is very shallow and faint,thoughts?
Thanks again bud

Acid lasts a long time.

Different steels etch differently

Etching metals other than steel can ruin the batch of FC. Don't use it for copper and aluminum and switch back to steel. Your batch probably isn't ruined, but may etch differently.

It is best to make a separate batch if you plan to use it on other metals - label the container and only use it on those other metals.

Etching metals other than steel can ruin the batch of FC. Don't use it for copper and aluminum and switch back to steel. Your batch probably isn't ruined, but may etch differently.

It is best to make a separate batch if you plan to use it on other metals - label the container and only use it on those other metals.
Thanks allot for the advice ile definitely take it into account. Can I ask what do you mean when you say it will etch differently? What sort of changes should I expect?

If you etch copper with FC and then etch a knife with the same solution … the blade will come out copper colored. Aluminum may make the FC give a muddy look to the steel blade. Also, the FC may be greatly weakened by the more reactive metals than by steel.

Back