1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Acid etching/washing questions

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Jason Puckett, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jason Puckett

Jason Puckett Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2019
    I acid and stone washed my first blade today. Started with a cheap blade, specifically a small honey badger. Pretty pleased with the results, but had some questions.

I'm using ferric chloride to acid wash. I read somewhere that after doing so, the blades are not food safe. Is this true? If so, can someone give me a high school level explanation of why?

Does acid etching/washing affect the corrosion resistance of the steel at all? If I etch a stainless like S35VN do I need to start treating it like D2 to prevent rust?

Finally (I think), how does sanding the blade before etching affect the finish? I never thought about trying it, but someone asked me what grit I sanded to before I etched, which made me think it is sort of a standard step that I missed.

Here's pics of my results if you're interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I overdid it with the nail polish around the pivot, or maybe the knife wasn't submerged enough, not sure which. I've got a taller, narrower container I'm going to move the ferric chloride to so that should help that without having to buy more.

Pic doesn't show the stone wash well, but I'm happy with it. I think I went too dark, this was 10 minutes, so I think I'll aim for eight next time.

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    If you clean the blade, it will be food safe.

Jason Puckett likes this.
  3. Jason Puckett

Jason Puckett Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2019
    Great, thanks!