Action or Looks?

Between two otherwise identical knives, which would you choose?

• The better action

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • The better looking covers

Votes: 15 19.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

black mamba

Gold Member
Let's say you found a knife you really liked, so you bought two of the exact same model, same covers, everything, so you could keep the one you liked the best. Then when they arrive, you have a tough choice to make: one has the better action (walk & talk snap and pull strength), and the other has the better looking covers (coloration, grain, etc.). Both have equally fine fit & finish. Which of the two would you keep?

Action for me. I still haven’t found a knife that beats my 48 in that regard. I never really knew what a good pull was supposed to feel like, at least until I owned one of those. It’s buttery smooth in all positions and I really appreciate that. After a few years the looks will begin to deteriorate, the action shouldn’t.

vEziiR0.jpg

The aforementioned 48.

Last edited:
I was going to say looks until I realized I carry a sowbelly because of its action and its fancy twin sits in a case because it’s just a pretty face in comparison.

Only nine responses so far, but I'm shocked. I'd have bet any amount of money that if I put two knives up for sale, with similar pictures, and fully describing the difference in the actions, that the prettier one would sell first. Maybe I'm wrong . . .

Only nine responses so far, but I'm shocked. I'd have bet any amount of money that if I put two knives up for sale, with similar pictures, and fully describing the difference in the actions, that the prettier one would sell first. Maybe I'm wrong . . .
Can’t feel a picture...
I’ve fallen for a pretty picture several times only to be utterly dissatisfied with the action.

Last edited:
The answer is unfortunately yes. And before any one goes thats a stupid smart ass remark, take into the example of the recent 92s. Now many of you know that I do not like knives with more than one blade but it just so happens that this was the only run of the 92s that I had a fair shot at getting a few examples easily. Namely the elderberry and micarta which sort of fits into the question presented. Now, I did get a third one just to see how the coping blade were centered and out of three only one was centered well enough for me to store away, ones getting modified soon. So thus, yes. Between the two elderberry and micarta, one will be used first and the other will remain unmodified.

I voted for covers because action isn't all that important to me so long as it meets some minimum standard. Besides, someone had to. At some point, though, there's a tipping point where the action just isn't acceptable and I would take the other knife. So it depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back