Actual use and clean up

I hope all the people who can sharing your method maintaining the mirror finish on the blade in term of hardware we need and method we can do it at home. Thx for sharing the knowledge is most important.

Froglube on my Hanshee seemed to work. Cut banana leaves and there visibly less blackening than if I had not treated it with FL. YMMV.

Just thought I would make an update to the method I posted, as I have found an issue with it.

The Gunslick foaming bore cleaner that I suggested still works fine in removing sap, however, some fine "000" steel wool works better than a paper towel, especially after cutting on woods with more stubborn sap, like oak. This also doesn't seem do anything to patinas (cutting oak left some blackened areas on the steel--which came off quickly with my thumb and some red Dremel tool polishing compound).

As far as damaging laha, I have not found any problems, so far.

However, if you use Birchwood Casey TRU oil to finish your handles, like I do, you DO NOT want to get the foaming cleaner on it. If you do, you better wipe it off quickly, because it will start eating away at it.

I found this out on my 18" WWII tonight. Luckily, I have already been planning on slimming the handle down some, which will require me to refinish it anyway.

Back