AD-10 and AD-15 Shipping

Would you recommend one of these as a first Cold Steel folder? I have my eyes on a Recon 1 but am intrigued with the Scorpion lock.

Would you recommend one of these as a first Cold Steel folder? I have my eyes on a Recon 1 but am intrigued with the Scorpion lock.
The Recon 1 is possibly the most popular CS knife among enthusiasts. With good reason.
For my first CS I would get the Recon 1. After using that knife, decide if a smaller knife that is heavier and more expensive with the unusual lock appeals to you. It might.

I'd say buy what you like. The AD-15 is obviously different from the rest of the line-up. If you want something more representative of the brand, I'd go with a Tri-Ad like the Voyager, Recon 1 or American Lawman.

Thanks guys, I will get a Recon one first. It looks very similar to my CQC-7. I bet the Tri-Ad lock is stronger than a liner lock,

Anyone else have an AD-15 that's hard to open and hard to close? Mine takes a great deal of force to break the detent, and pretty much takes two hands to close, or a lot of effort with one hand. Watched countless videos and it definitely is not as effortless as other people's ad-15's. Thinking about returning it.
Loosen up the rear pivot a little on the lock bar, that will make the detent softer and easier to open

The AD10 looks great, but I cannot get over why in the world they would put a hollow grind on such a tank built knife, makes zero sense to me. Put a saber/flat grind on it like it should and I will think about maybe picking one up.

I made a similar comment several days back. Someone pointed out that the original custom Demko AD10 is hollow, so this is just the same. I got my AD10 Monday and it does feels pretty thin behind edge. I'm sure it's a great slicer, and am happy to have it, but in this size/weight class, I'll be going back to the SR1. That pry bar of a blade just feels more confidence inspiring for my bushcraft/wood processing needs.

Couldnt get over the hollow grind deal on the AD-10, so I ordered a 4MAX instead :D

Got my AD10. This thing is perfect. I actually prefer it to the custom AD10 I had; I love the contoured G10 they used, as it still retains some grippiness, and I actually like S35VN over 20CV on a hard user like this. I can see how some might prefer a full flat grind, but I don't imagine being able to use mine in such a way that the hollow ground blade is compromised unless I was really trying. It is a tank of a knife, but surprisingly light and it carries well. At $150 it is an absolute steal.

I'm excited as heck to get my AD-15...I have one on pre-order.I haven't received any rough ETA from my retail source but from talking to Cold Steel customer service they are expecting a new batch in May.

I've gotta say one thing though.Call me boring but I've always liked black G-10...I hope scale replacements in black from Cold Steel become available or a black G-10 version comes out.

Last edited:
I'm excited as heck to get my AD-15...I have one on pre-order.I received any rough ETA but from talking to Cold Steel customer service they are expecting s new batch in May.

I've gotta say one thing though.Call me boring but I've always liked black G-10...I hope scale replacements in black from Cold Steel become available or a black G-10 version comes out.

Will discuss.

The Ad 15 looks extremely interesting, and i love me some weird locks. So this might be the first keeper i get from cold steel.

Got my AD10 yesterday. I carry my American Lawman a lot and AD10 was much bigger than i expected... The F&F and the build quality is superb and i don't think anything from other manufacturer i.e. ZT or Benchmade beat it for this price. Unfortunately I'm expecting a Lawman size knife so I sold it as it's too impractical for me to carry and use. Really hope that there's a smaller version of this.
Waiting for the AD15 next...

Got my Massdrop AD-10 Saturday and it is pretty amazing. Once you break the detent, the blade flies open with just a thumb flick and you better get your fingers out of the way before you hit the back lock because it dead falls very smoothly and almost got me the first time I shut it.
I was leaning towards a user ZT0550 to beat on but I think this is just as good, if not better, and I never thought that I would/could say that about a Cold Steel product. I have always appreciated their Recon 1 and Ult Hunter but this is another step forward.

Got my Massdrop AD-10 Saturday and it is pretty amazing. Once you break the detent, the blade flies open with just a thumb flick and you better get your fingers out of the way before you hit the back lock because it dead falls very smoothly and almost got me the first time I shut it.
I was leaning towards a user ZT0550 to beat on but I think this is just as good, if not better, and I never thought that I would/could say that about a Cold Steel product. I have always appreciated their Recon 1 and Ult Hunter but this is another step forward.

Enjoy it mate, the ZT0550 is a good knife but not even in the same league as an AD10, put her to work and get some scars on her :)

Back