AD-15 lock pin/notch deformation and wear?

WValtakis

Hand engraving & Titanium anodizing
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Is anyone else seeing wear like this? @Cold Steel Knives , this seems excessive for a day old...

20190427_202838_1.jpg

20190427_202858.jpg

20190427_202911.jpg

20190427_202922.jpg

~Chip

Last edited:
Haven't used mine that much, but have wondered if the scorpion lock had any type of self-adjustment like the Tri-Ad to account for wear

Well, after watching your video on the other thread, it is not surprising that you have experienced this wear!

Well, after watching your video on the other thread, it is not surprising that you have experienced this wear!
If a days worth of flicking causes this I'd say something is off...just wondering if this is normal lock break in or if something is softer than it should be:confused:

That is concerning. I don't have an AD-15, but have many triad folders. Some have S35v. Even with waving many of them open hard, I have seen no deformation. Definitely interested in seeing if others have had this happen.

Oh wow. You bought one of those huh? How do you like it? Steel?
Should not he deforming like that.
I did, lol...it's a different/unique mechanism so I had to;)

The detent was pretty stiff at first, but either it or my thumb is breaking in...I like it quite a bit actually aside from my concern about the lock.

~Chip

Yea.....that's not normal. Even under heavy use the knife isn't that old. It should not be deforming like this already. That warrants a call to cold steel in my opinion....... Keep us posted.

Yea.....that's not normal. Even under heavy use the knife isn't that old. It should not be deforming like this already. That warrants a call to cold steel in my opinion....... Keep us posted.
I didn't think so either...I'm on nightshifts this week so calling is difficult, if they don't respond to the thread by Friday I'll probably give them a call.

It looks like the blade could be rocking back and forth while locked.
Nope, rock solid with no play. All the wear/deformation looks to be from the pin dropping into the notch.

Nope, rock solid with no play. All the wear/deformation looks to be from the pin dropping into the notch.

Does it drop all the way in? Not that it should matter, since the steel shouldn't be soft, but wonder if the slot is a bit too small, or the pin a bit too big.

It's hard to tell, because you can't see the notch when open but judging from the deformation I would say no...it seats about 3/32 from the bottom of the notch. I believe the notch tapers to allow it to wear in. The lock bar seems to be about the right height, as it's almost flush with the spine (just a tad high).

To make sure I'm looking at this correctly; both edges of the cut out in the blade are deformed as well as matching sides of the lock pin?

It's hard to tell, because you can't see the notch when open but judging from the deformation I would say no...it seats about 3/32 from the bottom of the notch. I believe the notch tapers to allow it to wear in. The lock bar seems to be about the right height, as it's almost flush with the spine (just a tad high).

The lock bar on mine is perfectly flush with the spine, for what it's worth

To make sure I'm looking at this correctly; both edges of the cut out in the blade are deformed as well as matching sides of the lock pin?
That's correct, but only on the "AD-15" side of the blade. It almost seems like either the pin or the notch has a taper now that I think about it...I think there's a set of calipers somewhere her at work but if not I'll measure when I get home in the morning.

That was almost too easy...

"Cold Steel" end
20190428_180332.jpg

"AD-15" end
20190428_180445.jpg

You can also see in the earlier pics that the pin is only riding on the "AD-15" edge of the tang circumference...mystery solved I guess. Hopefully someone from Cold Steel will chime in...

That was almost too easy...

"Cold Steel" end
20190428_180332.jpg

"AD-15" end
20190428_180445.jpg

You can also see in the earlier pics that the pin is only riding on the "AD-15" edge of the tang circumference...mystery solved I guess. Hopefully someone from Cold Steel will chime in...

Yea I think that's gonna have to go back. That uneven pin has caused way to much damage on a brand new knife.... In my opinion.

Back