AD-15 lock pin/notch deformation and wear?

Ive opened and closed mine a ton of times, still looks perfect. id send it in for a replacement of the whole knife.

Ive opened and closed mine a ton of times, still looks perfect. id send it in for a replacement of the whole knife.
That's what will probably happen, I would like confirmation from Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives that it will be considered a defect before shelling out more money to ship it:(

They will have to inspect to determine what happened and also to see if it is genuine Cold Steel. Inspection is standard practice before making any decisions or confirmations

They will have to inspect to determine what happened and also to see if it is genuine Cold Steel. Inspection is standard practice before making any decisions or confirmations
The measurements show the problem, and how could this possibly be a counterfeit when these knives just came out?

They will still want to inspect the knife to see what the problem is so they can evaluate what must be done if it is due to manufacturing. Call their Customer Service.

They will still want to inspect the knife to see what the problem is so they can evaluate what must be done if it is due to manufacturing. Call their Customer Service.
As you say, they'll need to see it...so what's the point of calling if a rep can come here and actually see pics of the problem? If they're just going to say "Yup, locks up tight...no defect" then why waste $10 to ship it to them?

Andrew Demko himself has spoken about how absolutely CRUCIAL it is to this particular model to have spot-on specs around that pin/notch area. I'm not surprised at all the huge difference in diameter from end to end across that pin has caused you problems.

It'd be interesting to see if pin + notch would ever wear down to a happy medium and "settle in."

Not suggesting you try Chip...just one of those 1000 little "what if's" that flit thru my mind on a daily basis.

Andrew Demko himself has spoken about how absolutely CRUCIAL it is to this particular model to have spot-on specs around that pin/notch area. I'm not surprised at all the huge difference in diameter from end to end across that pin has caused you problems.

It'd be interesting to see if pin + notch would ever wear down to a happy medium and "settle in."

Not suggesting you try Chip...just one of those 1000 little "what if's" that flit thru my mind on a daily basis.
I could be remembering incorrectly, but I thought demko said that he designed the scorpion lock after desiring an easier to manufacture lock than the triad.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I thought demko said that he designed the scorpion lock after desiring an easier to manufacture lock than the triad.

Yeah he definitely said something about the Scorpion not needing as tight tolerances as the TriAd, but obviously Chip's was way outside of whatever those tolerances need to be.

Yeah I've noticed the same thing on mine (sorry about the average images).

I don't aggressively or repeatedly flick my knives open - I learned that lesson a long time ago. So I was surprised to notice the same deformation happening after a few days of use. It's mostly on the left side of the blade.

I just called CS after seeing this post. I'll send the knife in to their Ventura office. They reckon it's a 3-6 week wait for it to get back to me.

This is the second one I've had. The first went back to the dealer on the same day I got it because the edge grind was so uneven. Still a big fan of this design, so let's see what happens...

On the other hand, my AD-10 is flawless. Just one hell of a well put together knife!

tyrJaoB.jpg

qU1ZApq.jpg

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what CS can make of this. Bad heat treat maybe? Mine has been perfect so far, although I havent been using it that much.We will see.

Back