Adding a crossguard to a machete?

Does anyone know of any good techniques for adding a sturdy crossguard to a common machete such as an Ontario or Cold Steel without any kind of special forging equipment?

What kind of cross guard are you looking for? You may be able to find some off the shelf guards from a knife making supplier.

My grandfather used to make guards out of old cut down spoon handles, but they are pretty small.

It may be more cost effective to just buy a machete with a D guard or some such.

Good luck.

Does anyone know of any good techniques for adding a sturdy crossguard to a common machete such as an Ontario or Cold Steel without any kind of special forging equipment?
"Sturdy" is the problem. Whatever you put on is going to be shaken loose by chopping at harder targets unless you attach it by welding or tight fitting (like the Woodsman's Pal).

Zieg

Use a carbide bit to drill some small pin holes in the base of the blade where the guard will go, and rivet it on.

This is why they make the enclosed handle type handles for machetes. I tried one and didn't like it at all.

A guard would get in the way of a good forward grip.

4417559418_13dc9dcf0d.jpg

I didn't say it would be pretty. I'm sure there is someone who makes a bolt together guard.

I've seen them used on forged in fire as a safety, maybe they specifically made them for the show.

Use a carbide bit to drill some small pin holes in the base of the blade where the guard will go, and rivet it on.
First, I don't see why you would need a guard on a machete... Second, I'd hate to drill the most stressed part of a knife. Silver soldered, perhaps (if the tang is left unhardened...). Third, that bolted-on contraption is just horrible...No offense to anybody but I'm definitely a no-guard guy. So, here you go.

See my second point... And for heaven's sake, effective at what ? I have cleared trails for years, was even paid for it, and I have never, ever, felt the need for a guard on a machete, a billhook, a sickle or whatever slashing/cutting tool. Honestly curious...

Ask the OP, he is the one concerned. By effective, I meant effective at staying in place on the blade and preventing a hand from moving forward, which is what the OP asked about.

That's my current idea so far. I'm going to give that a try first.

As for why I'm doing this, it's because machetes, much like tomahawks and large survival knives, are for me uniquely suited to the dual-role as both tools and weapons. In my opinion, it is an abomination for any kind of blade with even just a vague secondary use for combat to lack a proper metal crossguard, because this omission eliminates an entire dimension of combat capability, which is the ability to block and parry an opponent's blade (machetes are cheap, prolific tools routinely used as assault and murder weapons the world over) when it is not possible to evade his strike by any other means. Furthermore, I have hiked, camped, hunted, fished, and practiced wilderness survival skills for years, and I have never found a crossguard to interfere even remotely with any task associated with these activities.

I think these were actually old valve handles, lol. I'm actually going to hold on to it and possibly use it for some old hickory knives.

I actually have been searching the web for someone who makes something like this, your post gave me the impetus to look around the scrap bin and make it up. Thanks

That's my current idea so far. I'm going to give that a try first.

As for why I'm doing this, it's because machetes, much like tomahawks and large survival knives, are for me uniquely suited to the dual-role as both tools and weapons. In my opinion, it is an abomination for any kind of blade with even just a vague secondary use for combat to lack a proper metal crossguard, because this omission eliminates an entire dimension of combat capability, which is the ability to block and parry an opponent's blade (machetes are cheap, prolific tools routinely used as assault and murder weapons the world over) when it is not possible to evade his strike by any other means. Furthermore, I have hiked, camped, hunted, fished, and practiced wilderness survival skills for years, and I have never found a crossguard to interfere even remotely with any task associated with these activities.

You might enjoy this. :)

the-kingfisher-machete-3.gif

Back