• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Adding a dust collector to the grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I add a dust collector to my grinder this weekend.
Edit: APPARENTLY IT IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT. SO READ THE THREAD

It's a good investment, especially with G10

The collector is a King Canada and cost only 140$

Last edited:
If you cant vent that directly outside using steel vent tube then this is the next safest way, and this should be emptied after every use http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...ridge-Filter-and-Pre-Filter-EAT606S/204630984

Dust and sparks and lots of air = a bomb. Find a way to make a spark trap!!!!!

I agree that it's a great idea, but make sure you're doing it safely. When I had mine running, there was a 5 gallon bucket that the feed shot into, with a few inches of water in it, and the out feed into the dust collector. Has to be a way to arrest the sparks, or BOOM!

Dust and sparks and lots of air = a bomb. Find a way to make a spark trap!!!!!

Have you seen the mythbusters episode where they make a bomb from coffee creamer and compressed air :0) I was amazed how particulate organic material in close enough proximity could ignite with that much force

My shop isn't attached to my house, So I don't really concern myself with dust much, Open the big door, Turn on my big fan and give everything a blast with compressed air, Then i'm good for another month

My shop isn't attached to my house, So I don't really concern myself with dust much, Open the big door, Turn on my big fan and give everything a blast with compressed air, Then i'm good for another month

THAT is the right way to do it!!!!

Judging by the lighting it looks like your working fairly close to a garage door or some sort of door, just vent it directly outside. You should also use aluminum tape, not duct tape as it will melt if some dust builds up in the ridges of the pipe and catch fire. I would also suggest investing in a good fire extinguisher.

There is no way I can vent outside. I'm in a residential sector and it is not really environmentally friendly.
I have 6 feet of aluminium ducking so spark don't get hot in the colector bag.
for the duct tape, even after 15min grinding non stop, the inlet dosen't came hot.

But you get a good point, I will keep an eye on this. And start thinking about a water filtration système.

Tandem Expédition;13528211 said:
It's the reason why I always wear a respirator when working.

ok I can't help myself, This is meant strictly as a humorous comment..

Its a good thing you always wear a respirator...That way you will be able to breath while you're trying to put out the shop fire...ba-dump-dump chshshshshshshsh

Last edited:
Tandem Expédition;13528026 said:
There is no way I can vent outside. I'm in a residential sector and it is not really environmentally friendly.
I have 6 feet of aluminium ducking so spark don't get hot in the colector bag.
for the duct tape, even after 15min grinding non stop, the inlet dosen't came hot.

But you get a good point, I will keep an eye on this. And start thinking about a water filtration système.

I don't think that will be enough. The sparks get oxygen from the rushing air, and they burn hotter and longer.

food for thought

auto ignition point for wood 575 degrees fahrenheit
metal glows at 900F
sparks glow for about 1 second
blower accelerates air to around 30 MPH
30 MPH is 44 ft per second

To be safe you would need to have a steel pipe 50 feet long to make sure not to start a fire, You can't argue with science ;0)

auto ignition point of G10?
I'm not using wood

It's a 590 CFM blower so air should be accelerated to about 100 ft per second :P (if my brain is not to tired to caculate)

And to be safe I juste have to wash the bag after sanding G10.

The one thermal reactive epoxy( the tough kind not the 50/50 kind) I have read about starts to break down at 450F and catchs fire at 850F

The reason I said wood is because I can clearly see a wood block and wood chips all over in your pictures

That 1st picture is about the scariest thing I have seen on BF (outside of the cove lol) I hope you rethink things

Argue it as you wish, but that setup shown in the photo WILL catch fire.
If it does when you are grinding, it will be scary and make you cuss as you drag a smoldering and smoking bag of burning metal dust out of your house. If it happens after you leave the shop, you and your family may be standing on the street as the fire department drags it out.....after they put out the house fire.

three feet, six feet, or twenty feet..... sparks need a trap before they enter a vacuum line. The trap should be directly under the belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back