Adding a Firesteel loop - leather drop and kydex

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of Fallkniven factory black leather dangler sheaths for an A1 and an S1 (used for an NL4 which is the same length blade). I could spend on a new sheath with a sharpening stone pouch and firesteel loop, but these dangler sheaths are nice work and I don't want to waste them. I'm trying to add an attachment to carry an Exotac 5/16" firerod. I added a heavy rubber ranger band (the old strac bands I think they were called), but the rod handle digs into the sheath. I need the loop offset from the sheath like 1/4". Just picking your brains if you have any ideas how to pull that off. I was thinking of a plastic tube or sleeve I could slip under the band on the side to insert the firesteel into, but ideally it would be flat on one side where it butts up against the sheath, then curved in a semi-circle. (Unless it's possible to open up the stitching and add a leather loop? I don't know, the sides of these are finished very tightly.)

--> I'm also looking for black or orange kydex firesteel loops for a 5/16" dia steel that will fit on a kydex sheath with 1.5" centered grommets. Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited:
Came up with this solution: seems tight and holds the steel well. The zip ties and strap prevent the tube from rolling around to the front or back of the sheath. This will do until I can come up with something better. I also picked up this same style sheath (from Lamnia in Finland, for the S1) that fits an NL4 and did a similar tweak.

Attachments

• Fallkniven A1 with FS loop 1.jpg
    Fallkniven A1 with FS loop 1.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Fallkniven A1 with FS loop 2.jpg
    Fallkniven A1 with FS loop 2.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
...(Unless it's possible to open up the stitching and add a leather loop? I don't know, the sides of these are finished very tightly...
You could try to slip an utility knife blade in between the leather layers (you will have to eyeball it). If there is a welt and you are carefull you shouldn't damage anything. if you are going to add the loop, you will have to cut a piece of the welt to make room for it. IF it is also glued, you will need to route it with a Dremmel or something. AND re-stitch the area.

Mikel

I agree with Mikel I’ve done this on a few sheaths and it turns out well as long as you are careful and take your time.

Rethinking my previous thread, if you don't wish to mess arround with the original sheath, you could always just attach the fire steel loop on top or at the bottom of the sheath stitching through the already existing holes. Will not be as aesthetically pleasing as having the fire steel loop inserted in between the sheath layers and if you wish to remove the loop in the long run the sheath will not be damaged.

Mikel

Back