Adjusting Back-Lock Tension

Assuming you don't want Spyderco to fix it, don't try to bend the spring or modify the spring slot. Instead, thin the spring where it bends, not where it goes in the slot. The spring force varies with the third power of the flat spring thickness. So if you want half the force, thin it to 80% of original. If you want 3/4 the force, thin it to 90% of original. For example, if the spring is 0.040" thick (not wide!) take off 0.004" for 10%. You can do this with a Dremel and calipers. The spring is too hard to thin with a file or stone. Grind slowly, if it discolors you've overheated it and damaged the heat treatment. Thin it uniformly except where it goes in the slot. No need to be super accurate.
Spyderco might not want to make the spring force low like this. It will be out of their specs.
Bending it will be a lot easier, and you can bend it back if you regret it.

Bending it will be a lot easier, and you can bend it back if you regret it.

^^^ This. Adjusting back lock tension by slightly reducing the bend closest to the backspacer is a proven technique. It doesn't require power tools or material removal. It also doesn't structurally weaken the spring or potentially create a stress riser.

Otherwise, I had luck on my Native 5 LW by unscrewing the screw just behind the lock bar just a bit.
Now i can middle finger flick it no problem !

Spyderco Customer Service is actually my Plan B.
I'm stubborn, and like to try and like to try fiuxing things myself fuirst...

Bending the spring is what you want to do.
Disassemble the knife, and put just the spring in the handle. Notice where the end of the spring is. This is your reference point. Now take the spring, put it in a vise, clamping just after the first bend. Use your finger to straighten out that bend a little bit. Reinstall the spring and check the end of the spring to see how far you've bent it. Readjust as necessary. Reassemble.

You'll notice that decreased spring tension will also improve the ease with which the knife opens. I don't recommend modifying the slot, the lockbar, or thinning the spring.

^Yes, what RustyIron said..

That's exactly how I adjusted my Dragonfly. In addition, I filed off some minute burrs on the end of the spring (where it contacts the lockbar).

UPDATE: After being almost too scared to touch it... I tackled it this afternoon.
It was almost disappointingly easy to take the knife down to the point here I could get the spring out.
I just pulled all of the screws out of one side, and the scale and liner were easily removed. the spring itself was a real beast! But with two needle-nosed Vise-Grips: I grabbed it aft of the upward bend, and gave it a downward "tweaking"...
And the damn thing works! I can now easily get the knife to open up, and it even stays closed when it has to.
This thing is now on my EDC list!

Last edited:
UPDATE: After being almost too scared to touch it... I tackled it this afternoon.
It was almost disappointingly easy to take the knife down to the point here I could get the spring out.
I just pulled all of the screws out of one side, and the scale and liner were easily removed. the spring itself was a real beast! But with two needle-nosed Vise-Grips: I grabbed it aft of the upward bend, and gave it a downward "tweaking"...
And the damn thing works! I can now easily get the knife to open up, and it even stays closed when it has to.
This thing is now on my EDC list!

Glad it worked out for you man.

And now the knife is even more "yours" as you've tweaked it youself!!

:cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks... I just had to get my head screwed on straight, and dig in up to my armpits!

Back