Advice for buying off Etsy

I'm looking to buy one of these three options

I know only a little about knives and Im concerned as to how I can be assured these are what they say they are, ie made of good quality steel and properly made

are things like this often trustrworthy?

any advice appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I've been considering buying one of these. Do you have any indication of the quality I should expect?

Would you have a recommendation about a better way to acquire such a blade?

I'm intending to use it for woodland activities with a reenactment camping/hiking setup. Long Blade 10" or longer, non "damascus", seax or dirk. Budget under $100, ideally under $70.

Thank you very much

Id love to buy the cold steel dirk but they all out of stock

found this guy for $50, just says carbon steel

No real recommendations on how to get one in another way, but I wouldn't get the first one... It's ht to 54, which is really low.

Axes are ht that low, but even for a heavy use chopper that's pretty low, unless you were planning on sharpening with a file or something...

Thx, what do you think of the other ones too?

Two different makers in the links
I can't really tell much from the pictures.
I don't understand why the maker ( if he is the maker ) would heat treat two knives of the same steel and approximate same size to different a hardness. The maker might have a reason, I don't know.
If you are looking for a top quality blade, I would pass, but if you are looking for something to learn how to put a handle on and have fun with, go for it. You wont be losing much cash if it isn't that great.

Thx, do you mean to just ask them to make one for me or to check if they know the guy?
Put it this way. This is one of the older and more established knife selling sites. If a maker sells from this website, it shows he really knows his stuff. Not to mention you have an archive of old sales posts to look at to confirm their expertise.

Phillip Patton referenced in another thread here makes an excellent Seax, although not for 40 dollars.

I think if you want a blade that's kind of like something you'd buy from a lumpy-headed medieval guy in a smoky hovel, then yeah this is your jam

You need to edit and finish filling out your your profile information. I doubt you are 119 years old. Also, including your location will help us with any recommendations.

Are you looking for a real knife to use? A blade to try your hand at knife making? Or a knife to take to re-enactments and not really use?

The last one you list is at least hardened, maybe. "the blade is 58 to 60 Rockwell."

Back