Advice on a new work knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for suggestions for a hard use pocket knife.

I do construction, I use my knife for opening a lot of boxes, some work related wood carving/cutting, trimming foam around new windows, cutting shims, stripping wire, and more.

Here are features I would like the knife to have,

-a reasonable stiff pocket clip and 3 screws holding it on. I have killed more clips than any other aspect of pocket knives. (They fall off, or get caught and ripped off)

-3.5-4.5 inch blade. Especially for cutting foam, a long blade is really handy. Plus my hands are large.

-It has to be able to be opened and closed one handed.

-The blade has to lock, No slip joints.

-I am trying to keep cost under 100.00

I am looking at 2 knives currently, The Spyderco Endura, and The Ontario rat 1. Any advice on these 2 knives? How is the Spyderco VG10 vs rat D2? Any other knives you would recommend I add to my list of knives to look at?

Thank you for your help BladeForms!

I like VG-10 better than D2 in general. When done correctly, D2 should have better edge retention. However, VG-10 is still decent and has some other benefits. VG-10 is easier to sharpen, strops up nicely, and is much more stainless.

The cold steel recon or the code 4 would be my suggestion for you.

The recon is right at $100 but the code 4 is about $75 or $80.

I haven't had much experiance with them so I don't know about the one-handed closing though. Can't go wrong with the rat 1 as well.

Cold Steel Large Voyager. I think they are still available.
Light 6061 T6 liners, super good grippy handle, decent blade steel and heat treat, bonze washers, super good lock and lock up, robust blade shape.

For the price one of the best knives ever made.
Here is a LINK > > > showing mine, what I pair it with and more of my drivel gushing about the knife.

Spyderco Endura 4 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.
The Rat is killer as well; I have one of those.

Last edited:
I am looking for suggestions for a hard use pocket knife.

I do construction, I use my knife for opening a lot of boxes, some work related wood carving/cutting, trimming foam around new windows, cutting shims, stripping wire, and more.

Here are features I would like the knife to have,

-a reasonable stiff pocket clip and 3 screws holding it on. I have killed more clips than any other aspect of pocket knives. (They fall off, or get caught and ripped off)

-3.5-4.5 inch blade. Especially for cutting foam, a long blade is really handy. Plus my hands are large.

-It has to be able to be opened and closed one handed.

-The blade has to lock, No slip joints.

-I am trying to keep cost under 100.00

I am looking at 2 knives currently, The Spyderco Endura, and The Ontario rat 1. Any advice on these 2 knives? How is the Spyderco VG10 vs rat D2? Any other knives you would recommend I add to my list of knives to look at?

Thank you for your help BladeForms!

ColdSteel SR1 ($125-$150) or a bit more pricey ColdSteel 4MAX ($260-$320). 100% satisfaction guaranteed, they are pocket tanks with 5mm thick blade designed for super super heavy use.

Under $100? ColdSteel Spartan or Recon... But I suggest you come up with extra $25-$50 and get something amazing.

From everything you're listing for a good work knife, you may want to consider a fixed blade instead of a folder with a pocket clip.
If I'm going in an attic or under a house, that's what I carry because it will still be on my belt at the end of the day.

Cold Steel AD10 with the Tri-AD lock is pretty rugged, this knife may fit the bill for you, especially if you have large hands, while this is a big folder, it is not heavy, but it is still quite strong.

Very strong clip, and being wide it doesn't imprint on your hand during use very much, wider clip covers more area against your hand.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

At this LINK > > > is my Endura 4 with my all time favorite work knife my Cold Steel Ti Lite IV full flat ground to 1.9mm at the spine.
I sound like a Cold Steel fan boy but I'm not really. For me the full flat ground Ti Lite cannot be beat. Not for every one though. This one is CTS-XHP I have two others I custom ground but that's another thread.

My choice in that price range would be the Spyderco Stretch or save up for a Military. All the recommendations are solid. As for Cold Steel, I like the American Lawman.

Last edited:
From everything you're listing for a good work knife, you may want to consider a fixed blade instead of a folder with a pocket clip.
If I'm going in an attic or under a house, that's what I carry because it will still be on my belt at the end of the day.

I have considered that, I actually do occasionally. What kind of sheath do you use?

The cold steel recon or the code 4 would be my suggestion for you.

The recon is right at $100 but the code 4 is about $75 or $80.

I haven't had much experiance with them so I don't know about the one-handed closing though. Can't go wrong with the rat 1 as well.

Cold Steel Large Voyager. I think they are still available.
Light 6061 T6 liners, super good grippy handle, decent blade steel and heat treat, bonze washers, super good lock and lock up, robust blade shape.

For the price one of the best knives ever made.
Here is a LINK > > > showing mine, what I pair it with and more of my drivel gushing about the knife.

Spyderco Endura 4 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.
The Rat is killer as well; I have one of those.

ColdSteel SR1 ($125-$150) or a bit more pricey ColdSteel 4MAX ($260-$320). 100% satisfaction guaranteed, they are pocket tanks with 5mm thick blade designed for super super heavy use.

Under $100? ColdSteel Spartan or Recon... But I suggest you come up with extra $25-$50 and get something amazing.

Cold Steel AD10 with the Tri-AD lock is pretty rugged, this knife may fit the bill for you, especially if you have large hands, while this is a big folder, it is not heavy, but it is still quite strong.

Very strong clip, and being wide it doesn't imprint on your hand during use very much, wider clip covers more area against your hand.

G2

At this LINK > > > is my Endura 4 with my all time favorite work knife my Cold Steel Ti Lite IV full flat ground to 1.9mm at the spine.
I sound like a Cold Steel fan boy but I'm not really. For me the full flat ground Ti Lite cannot be beat. Not for every one though. This one is CTS-XHP I have two others I custom ground but that's another thread.

My choice in that price range would be the Spyderco Stretch or save up for a Military. All the recommendations are sold. As for Cold Steel, I like the American Lawman.

Thanks for the input! I will have to check some cold steels out. How easy is CTS-XHP to resharpen?

I second the recon 1. Now they come in s35vn which is superior to vg10 and d2 in my opinion. The clip is well secured and the retention is almost too good. You will not lose it. One hand operation is easy. Your choice of blade shapes. My favorite is the clip point. Its not flashy or flickable (easily) but is is tough. In my opinion it perfectly suits your intended use.

For a 4 inch blade, the Recon1 or the Voyager, from Cold Steel, are the strongest work knives I have, and the ones I currently use in that size. For 3 1/2 inches, under 100 dollars, the CS Ultimate Hunter and American Lawman are my current work knives. The s35vn steel is excellent.

I have the Endura and the Rat1 and think they are fine work knives, but the Cold Steel models mentioned above are my current favorites. All in your price range. If I had to choose one, based on your op, I d take the Recon1.

A much as I love my endura, something tells me if you got one the tip wouldn’t last long. Another Spyderco option would be the manix 2.

Ive used the regular aus 8 rat 1 for work. It holds up well. Im sure the d2 would be even better.

I'm a contractor. I like the idea of a fixed blade, but I have never found a way to carry one where it was as easy to use and put away a good folder.

I don't doubt many workers use them with great success, but for me they are generally a no-go. It usually comes down to sheathing them without looking and banging them into stuff while hanginf off my belt.

I think that any of thr mentioned CS knives would work. The Endura should work well too if you are looking to keep weight down. I have had one kicking about for the better part of 15 years. Very solid folder that won't pull your pants down, but be careful torquing on it too much. FRN handles and pins mean that it could go sloppy if you use it the way my old man bangs on his 110 on the job.

My carry knife of choice is either a ZT350 or ZT303. Overkill and bit more expensive, but I don't buy knives to not use them.

I would lean toward the Endura of your choices if it were me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back