Advice on full-size 9mm pistols please

MVF

Gold Member
Hi all, As it says, looking for advice. This gun will be for nightstand duty and range fun. Maybe even competition someday. It is replacing my Wilson Combat CQB. I'm looking for reduced recoil and something cheaper to shoot.

So far I'm leaning toward a CZ SP-01, followed by the Sig P226 Scorpion, and then maybe a Beretta, H&K, etc. I have yet to be able to find all of these pistols to handle, much less fire, so if you have experience, please help! The CZ is winning so far based on great reviews, and included night sights at a good price. The Scorpion also has night sights but is much more expensive and the sights don't appear to be as nice as the CZ. I'm selling the CQB to finance this, so I can afford the Sig or H&K if the extra cost is worth it.

Also, feel free to suggest other pistols, but know that I have handicap of living in California, so... TIA, Mike

All the guns, you mentioned are fine guns though with quite a span in price (as you know). Not a personal fan of the Beretta, but I know Im in the minority there.

The SIG 226 is one of the -if not THE- finest 9mm combat handgun ever made and I personally would go for that having used SIG product (including the 226) quite a lot both on the range and in not so nice countries.

Since you are used to quality and price tag in regards to the Wilson, the hefty price of the 226 wont scare you away and as you say, you'll fund a future purchase by selling the Wilson.

Bill makes some nice guns - and always nice to hang out with him shooting.

In regards to the price of the 226:

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Hi all, As it says, looking for advice. This gun will be for nightstand duty and range fun. Maybe even competition someday. It is replacing my Wilson Combat CQB. I'm looking for reduced recoil and something cheaper to shoot.

I hear Tom Gresham love on his 1911's in 9mm alot.

MVF CZ's are wonderful pistols. I have been shooting and working on them since 2006. My recommendation would be to get the CZ either through CZ Customs of Cajun Gun Works. Both Co's do excellent custom work. Spend a little more and get a gun with a superb trigger and accuracy. I still have my CZ Rami which has thousands of rounds through it and still has great accuracy. The CZ's just fit the hand and point so well; they will not disappoint. Good luck with your decision.

I'd rather have a Glock 17 than any of those you mentioned. You may also consider a 34 if the extra length isn't a problem. Or you could buy both on your budget. Or buy a Glock and a Browning Hi-Power. Or a Glock and a .22 pistol for fun.

CZs work well but they look like they're made in a barn with a rusty hacksaw compared to your Wilson.

Check out the Walther PPQ (SA) or P99 (DA/SA). Both are striker fired with excellent triggers and world class ergonomics and reliability. Others I would be happy with are a Beretta 92FS, Sig P226/229, HK USP, P2k, or P30.

I am not the biggest fan of Beretta's. They were my favorite looking pistol when younger. Then I held and shot a few. I cannot shot them near as well as as Glock, HK, and handful of other pistols. Same goes for the old Ruger P89, P90's.

My pops has a CZ full sized in .45. Shoots well, and seems to be a very well machined pistol. I like it a lot.

My full sized pistol for home and carry is a .40 Glock. The 22c model.

I'm also a fan of Sig's. I like the feel, and look, but honestly, can't shoot one as well as as Glock.

If you want a full size youre on track one of the best with the Sig 226 ... I would also reccomend to pick up an HK P30 or HK VP9 very nice reliable guns and come with the adjustable fit grip panels to better fit any size hand. And Im also a 1911 fan ... unless youre wanting to get away from that maybe a 9mm in the 1911 platform might be what you are most comfortable with.

My choice is cz sp line or cz 75, glock, m&p . Had 3 xd's just didn't do it for me. However that said best and smoothest shooting pistol ive ever fired was a stoger cougar in 40 would had kept it if i nabed it in 9mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody so far. I should have mentioned that Glocks just don't fit my hand. I'm surprised that the CZ is getting negatives. I don't recall seeing anything negative before this (other than the trigger not being wonderful), so that gives me something to think about. Although I see it has fans, too.

Honestly, the 226 didn't do much for me until I tried the Scorpion- the addition of the night sights along with the grips, beavertail, and better trigger put it back in the running. I don't suppose there's anyone out there that has fired them both? The CZ's reputation for low muzzle flip due to the low, light slide definitely appeals to me. I know the Sig is said to have light recoil, but they're not really the same thing. I also like that the CZ allows cocked & locked.

Also good to hear that if I go with the Sig I'll be getting my $$ worth. Not really looking to spend the whole price of the Wilson on this gun- I'm looking to fund a scope too (for a Ruger SR762) Keep it coming!

it's worth a couple hours to find a range where you can rent and fire as many options as possible before buying anything, bc firearm preferences are so personal and most reputable brands are equally reliable. For instance I simply hate shooting SIGs or HKs despite their excellent quality, whereas although Glocks FEEL like plastic bricks in my hand, I actually SHOOT them quite well.

I think the Grand Power K100 deserves a look. Rotating barrel makes it a soft shooter.

I own a cz 75 sp 01 it's a fine shooting machine low recoil, heavy gun. But it doesn't fit in m drop safe next to m bed.

So the glock 17 gets that job.

Glocks don t feel as good in hand to me as Sigs. But I shoot them well, and lately Glock has become my preferred defense gun.

Glocks don t feel as good in hand to me as Sigs. But I shoot them well, and lately Glock has become my preferred defense gun.

I seem to shoot them well, my EDC is a glock 26, I shoot that as well as my 17. It's the ease a disassemble and upgrades,
Functionality, dependability, and they eat all ammo with no problems that draws me to the glock.

I have had problems with failure to feed cheaper ammo with my CZ. I believe it's the magazine. And they are on the expensive side, magazines.

it's worth a couple hours to find a range where you can rent and fire as many options as possible before buying anything, bc firearm preferences are so personal and most reputable brands are equally reliable. For instance I simply hate shooting SIGs or HKs despite their excellent quality, whereas although Glocks FEEL like plastic bricks in my hand, I actually SHOOT them quite well.
This if possible. I think the ranges rent the caliber- so you if you rent a 9mm and can use all the 9mm's in the case. Definitely worth a drive to do it if necessary.

Back