Advice on full-size 9mm pistols please

The BHP was at one time the sidearm of most NATO countries . A big improvement was when the pistol was made for the 40S&W cartridge , when the steel and how it was made was improved .
I had accurized my older one and with other mods it was a very fine piece. Sad day when I sold it to get a then new HK P7.

Don't be a poser...Get yourself a Glock 21 in .45...(But if you kan't handle the size & recoil of a .45, get a Glock 17...).

230c61ff-6587-4c5e-859f-51a1c7139390_zpstsy8aalv.jpg

No, of course they are not. They go bang and can of course save your life but comparing a 1911 of war time production to a Wilson Combat is preposterous.
Yeah the issue M1911A1s may well be more reliable while remaining plenty accurate for self-defense.

in regards to the Browning Grande Puissance...or 'Hi-Power' as you call it..., it came out before WWII and the Germans used it during WWII.
Yeah, that's what I said --- pre-WW2 design.

Recommending one of these and having one end up with a lesser example as you do is wrong and a bad example could cost somebody his life.
My Hi-Power was manufactured well after WW2 (my point was the design pre-dates WW2 and I'll recommend designs pre-dating WW2 as well as I will designs that pre-date WW1). I'd have no problem whatsoever relying on my Hi-Power for self defense (if I were inclined to carry 9mm for self defense, which I am not).

There are even examples of WWII handguns to directly avoid shooting. Not one mentioned in this thread prior to this, but an example is the latter day SPREE WERKE P-39.
The only WW2 gun I recommended was the Radom. And I whole heartedly stand by that recommendation.

Though I didn't recommend an issue M1911A1, for years I carried a modified issued M1911A1. My choice, and I'd have no problem giving it to my own son now for self defense if he wanted it for that.

Last edited:
How do you like the Wilson? Honestly it's going to be hard to beat with any of the suggested guns in this thread. Yes, ammo is a bit more. The difference in recoil is not that much though especially if the Wilson is a full size, steel frame, 40 oz, gun. I'd keep it. A tungsten guide rod can reduce muzzle flip and perceived recoil. A new set of grips can make it easier to hold on to.

Anyway the more I read the suggestions the more I think that Wilson is hard to beat. Any trigger is going to take some getting used to after shooting the Wilson with what I assume is a clean breaking single action trigger.

The Wilson is a truly great gun (IMO). It helped me get to where I could put all 8 rounds through one (big) hole. Smooth action, great trigger, etc. It's mostly that great trigger that's making me sell it. I can't afford to shoot it as much as I used to (and I miss that), so I'm not as well practiced as I would wish for a trigger like that. Last time I took it to the range, I had it go off before I meant for it to- not quite an AD, but I wasn't all the way settled yet either.

Because of that, I can't feel comfortable using this as a defensive weapon anymore- although if you can afford to train with it, I can't think of many better. I expect a full-size 9mm with a stock trigger to be easy and cheap to train with, and enough fun to shoot that I might even think about some competition shooting. If I need extra horsepower, I've got a 4" .357. The fact that I'm selling it to my brother helps too.

GLOCK !!! I had two gen 1 19's for many years . They flawlessly functioned thru cases of the cheapest surplus ammo with little or no maintenance . Only problem I ever had was at the very first with the limp wrist thing when shooting weak side , one hand, unsupported .

I believe the newer Glocks are probably even better and in great variety . Maybe not as sexy as some others - but there's none better !

it's worth a couple hours to find a range where you can rent and fire as many options as possible before buying anything, bc firearm preferences are so personal and most reputable brands are equally reliable. For instance I simply hate shooting SIGs or HKs despite their excellent quality, whereas although Glocks FEEL like plastic bricks in my hand, I actually SHOOT them quite well.

Several times I've had it in my mind that "I just gotta get me one of THOSE!"

Then went to the range and rented one. Box or two of rounds later and nope.... I don't gotta have one.

Back when I was in the Navy, I needed a S&W 4506. Quick trip to the range fixed that right quick.

Matter of fact, MVF, that was when I was at Point Mugu NAS.... the range was in either Oxnard or Ventura... wonder if it's still there.

Fishface, I've found Wade's Eastside Guns to be a good range. Lots of choices, and I didn't find the prices to be debilitating like some places.

Even if you don't find the one you want right off the bat, it sure makes for an enjoyable afternoon. :)

Since you said Glock's don't fit your hand I would have to recommend the HK VP9, Sig P320, or Walter PPQ. All three have pretty nice triggers, are very accurate, and are extremely soft shooting. Also the M&P full size is nice but you need to put an Apex in it because the stock trigger is horrible.

Would you believe none of those pistols is available in the wonderful state of California? Gotta love it

Would you believe none of those pistols is available in the wonderful state of California? Gotta love it

My VP9 came with California legal magazines (had to buy "good ones" after the fact)-

Why can't you have a VP9 in California, or are they just not readily available at gun stores?

I do feel for you living in such a restrictive state.

best

mqqn

Don't overlook the S&W M&P series pistols.

I recently went through the same decision-making process. Glocks are great, reliable pistols but the ergonomics just don't work with my large hand (every Glock I've ever handled points high and I have to force the muzzle down.)

Other options for me were the Springfield Armory XD Mod .2 and the S&W M&P 9c. I chose the 9c because it just feels right in my hand and points naturally. I liked the XD, too, but it just didn't feel as good in my hand. Other reasons for choosing the 9c were that the slide and barrel are stainless and you can get it with or without a thumb safety. They have nice 3-dot sights, too.

If you want something thinner and lighter, the M&P Shield is very well regarded but the trade-off is a single-stack magazine with less capacity. Very nice gun, though, and more concealable than the ones with double stack mags.

HTH

Last edited:
CZ 75B or BD model depending on if you want the safety or decocking lever. Its a solid built gun, holds well with great ergo, and has a factory trigger better than most upgraded and more expensive pistols (glocks). They can be had fairly inexpensive new or used.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my CZ75B SAO. She gets more range trips than any of my others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I've simply allowed myself to lose focus based on the currently limited market in my area, and being overwhelmed by the number of accessories available for the Glock. How does it compare to the S&W M&P, and the Springfield XD and XDM? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages between the three of them?

My VP9 came with California legal magazines (had to buy "good ones" after the fact)-

Why can't you have a VP9 in California, or are they just not readily available at gun stores?

I do feel for you living in such a restrictive state.

best

mqqn

in 2015 I believe it was, CA banned purchase of most "single shot pistols" along with pretty much every other reasonable 2nd amendment freedom possible since then.

I'm not expert on CA gun law specifics but from what I've heard there was an SSE prior to 2015 - single shot exemption. However, Gov. Brown in his infinite wisdom shut it down in 2015 to fully kill it by deeming it and all like it as "unsafe handguns." Along with this was another paragraph in the legislation which arbitrarily lumped a bunch of double action handguns into the "unsafe" category thus banning them.

Much like the hell-hole state of NY but even our freedom-hating laws are not quite as horrid as CA's

On a brighter note, I grew to like the VP9 this year but I find the magazine ejection slightly awkward to reach; I have smaller fingers I can just barely toggle the release paddle on the trigger guard when I'm holding it. Some of my students have the same issue as well. I prefer Glock 17 or Springfield XD personally for the long run but that's my humble opinion.

Last edited:
in 2015 I believe it was, CA banned purchase of most "single shot pistols" along with pretty much every other reasonable 2nd amendment freedom possible since then.

I'm not expert on CA gun law specifics but from what I've heard there was an SSE prior to 2015 - single shot exemption where they violated your privacy to a huge extent to decide if you were good enough to have one. However, Gov. Brown in his infinite wisdom shut it down in 2015 to fully kill it by deeming it and all like it as "unsafe handguns."

Much like the hell-hole state of NY but even our freedom-hating laws are not quite as horrid as CA's

On a brighter note, I grew to like the VP9 this year but I find the magazine ejection slightly awkward to reach; I have smaller fingers I can just barely toggle the release paddle on the trigger guard when I'm holding it. Some of my students have the same issue as well. I prefer Glock 17 or Springfield XD personally for the long run but that's my humble opinion.

Thanks for the info - scary....

I concur on the mag release on the H&K - I don't find that type of release to be an improvement over the standard 1911 position, and I like the ambi-button on the XDs. Good point that I did not think to mention....

best

mqqn

Thanks for the info - scary....

I concur on the mag release on the H&K - I don't find that type of release to be an improvement over the standard 1911 position, and I like the ambi-button on the XDs. Good point that I did not think to mention....

best

mqqn

No problem - it really is scary - they basically have a list now of "Certified Safe" handguns that can be sold in the state of CA and that's pretty much it. Anything not on their silly arbitrary list is deemed illegal and "unsafe." The only way to get some not on the list would be to modify them into shells of their former selves like the mag-restrictions in NY. They do a lot of anti-gun stuff here. I constantly have to monitor what laws and bills are on the table. It's the worst place for someone like me lol

And I have the joy of being a lefty, so mag release is tricky for me depending on what model I'm using that's one of many things that drew me to the XD series

Last edited:
Back