Advice on how to get into plunge cuts

I have a little 1x30 belt sander and it rounds out plunge lines quite a bit but I like a nice sharp plunge cut so I go over it with a flat file. After I do that I can't get the file marks out with sandpaper. Is there some trick to do this?

Great question. I have the same problems with my 1x30, (can't wait to upgrade someday). Getting the plunge line clean is by far the hardest part for me. Thanks for the info on the thread.

I don't know if you can do it with a 1x30. You need flexible belts. Generally if you are doing this on a belt sander, you track the belt off the side of the platen about 1/8" and run your plunge up against the edge of the platen. The flexible belt will not push away from the plunge. Instead it will curl up into the plunge and sand it. Use a little pressure to get all the way into the plunge.

If you are doing this by hand, check Nick's WIP/tutorial as Leethal C. has mentioned already. Reading it should be mandatory. Also check out Will Morrison's excellent WIP here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1082411-Introduction-and-a-WIP

To do be able to get in a plunge with a belt sander can be very tricky. You want to be pretty careful not to sweep your plunge out. Personally, I like my plunges to be nice and crisp so I use a file guide and a big bastard cut file to finish them up. Then to get out the marks just put the guide back on and use sandpaper. Make sure to get out any scratches before heat treat though.

Salem Straub has a tutorial with drawings that was helpful to me. I don't recall if it's on his website Promethean knives or in the B.F. archives.

Back