Advice on Sharpening Damascus Knife

What Should I Use To Sharpen My Damascus?

• Electric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi everyone - Newbie here. I need some advice please.

I have a 9 and half inch Damascus Knife from Orient. Had it about 2 months and it's just starting to lose the fine edge as I use it almost every day.

Should I use an electric knife sharpener or whetstone sharpener to get it back to it's original glory? It uses Japanese Damascus Steel. I have read that only whetstones are best, but then also electric sharpeners you can really control the angle.

Can someone point me in a right direction.

J

Looks like it is made with a typical VG10 core with decorative Damascus-style layering, very similar to Shun knives and many others in that general range.

I don't own an electric sharpener. I hand-sharpen my kitchen knives using water stones. Shapton Pro is the product line I chose, but there are many others. I can put a better edge on them than the factory did. However, it took me a while to develop the skills to hand sharpen by doing it over several years. It wasn't until I got pretty good at free-hand sharpening with pocket knives and cheaper kitchen knives that I decided to buy nicer kitchen knives and the water stones to sharpen them.

So for me, because I know how to use them, the answer is "whetstone" - which does not mean water stone, by the way. "Whet" just means "sharpen," so diamonds, ceramic, water stones, oil stones, Arkansas stones, Japanese natural stones, Belgian Blue, Coticules - all are whetstones.

You may not get many answers here - the Kitchen forum is rather lightly visited. Most questions about sharpening go here: https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/maintenance-tinkering-embellishment.794/ which is a much livelier sub-forum. Several professional sharpeners hang out there too.

Last edited:
I do all my kitchen knives with waterstones. However, there is a learning curve if you've never sharpened with them before. Some people get the hang of it fairly quickly while others sometimes take a while before the lightbulb turns on.

When you know what you're doing on a stone, I feel it's the best choice. You don't get to choose what angles to use or how much metal gets removed when you use an electric or manual pull through sharpener, nor will you get as refined an edge as you can achieve on stones.

Whetstones yes. Also unless it is very fine damascus, you will get a slightly toothy edge due to the different layers of the damascus. The more layers the less toothy. Most of the common damascus around today is only 37 - 68 layers which will give a toothy edge no matter what you use to sharpen it.
Rich

you will get a slightly toothy edge due to the different layers of the damascus
That is true of a pure damascus - but the blade he is asking about is a VG-10 core with decorative damascus cladding that does not go all the way to the edge.

OK, I did not get the VG10 laminated part. That is what I prefer. Sharpens up razor sharp with fine hones (1500-3000 grit).
Rich

it sounds like what I have as my kitchen knives .The center is VG-10 , a very good blade for kitchen work. NEVER use power operated sharpeners ! A fine diamond or ceramic stone will produce a nice edge ! The outside is not a true Damascus but looks like it is . A good working blade which will be easily noticed among ordinary knives .

Hi everyone - Newbie here. I need some advice please.

I have a 9 and half inch Damascus Knife from Orient. Had it about 2 months and it's just starting to lose the fine edge as I use it almost every day.

Should I use an electric knife sharpener or whetstone sharpener to get it back to it's original glory? It uses Japanese Damascus Steel. I have read that only whetstones are best, but then also electric sharpeners you can really control the angle.

Can someone point me in a right direction.

J

Looks like it is made with a typical VG10 core with decorative Damascus-style layering, very similar to ...

That is true of a pure damascus - but the blade he is asking about is a VG-10 core with decorative damascus cladding that does not go all the way to the edge.

jc57,
I am curious from the OP posts how you are able to determine the knife in question is of San Mai construction including a VG-10 core clad with decorative Damascus?

From everything I read, I (like Rich S) would not have assumed this to be the case.

thanks,

jc57,
I am curious from the OP posts how you are able to determine the knife in question is of San Mai construction including a VG-10 core clad with decorative Damascus?

From everything I read, I (like Rich S) would not have assumed this to be the case.

thanks,
Because he mentions the brand (Orient) and specific knife (9.5" Damascus) that he bought:
I have a 9 and half inch Damascus Knife from Orient

They have a web site, so I looked it up.
https://orientknives.com/collections/damascus-series/products/9-inch-chefs-knife-damascus-series

Between the description and the pictures, it is pretty obvious.

jc57,
Thanks,
I assumed he bought a Damascus knife from the Orient ...
Also, was wondering if my system was possibly not displaying photos in the OP.
Appreciate your taking the time to straighten me out ;-)

Thanks JC - very informative

Looks like it is made with a typical VG10 core with decorative Damascus-style layering, very similar to Shun knives and many others in that general range.

I don't own an electric sharpener. I hand-sharpen my kitchen knives using water stones. Shapton Pro is the product line I chose, but there are many others. I can put a better edge on them than the factory did. However, it took me a while to develop the skills to hand sharpen by doing it over several years. It wasn't until I got pretty good at free-hand sharpening with pocket knives and cheaper kitchen knives that I decided to buy nicer kitchen knives and the water stones to sharpen them.

So for me, because I know how to use them, the answer is "whetstone" - which does not mean water stone, by the way. "Whet" just means "sharpen," so diamonds, ceramic, water stones, oil stones, Arkansas stones, Japanese natural stones, Belgian Blue, Coticules - all are whetstones.

You may not get many answers here - the Kitchen forum is rather lightly visited. Most questions about sharpening go here: https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/maintenance-tinkering-embellishment.794/ which is a much livelier sub-forum. Several professional sharpeners hang out there too.

I have just purchased a King Whetstone - im going to get some practice in using that on my old chefs knife.

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply.

Then it's a Chinese copy of a Shun blade. My kitchen knives are the Shun and they make an excellent kitchen knife .Easily sharpened with a ceramic stone or rod , or a diamond rod. So if yours are made and HT'd well you're good to go

Back