Advise on steel for couple builds.

Ok I am new on here well kinda was on several years back but forgot sign in info. Ok so I am pretty much a newbie. I am looking at making a few hunting knives. And couple kitchen knives. I have a half way descent amount of tools. I have made a few knives from 1095 and scrap steel which turned out pretty good. However I know I am not getting the full potential of the steel with my brake drum forge. I am looking at either 1084 or 80crv2. I would like to be able test them this season so sending out for heattreat is not a option for first couple. I would also consider doing a couple in one of those steels.and making a few kitchen knives out of stainless and sending off for heat treat. Any suggestions sorry for the post being so long.

How does 15n20 stack up to 1084 heat treated in a forge.?
I found it to be better. I bought mine from NJSB and it was easy to drill and my heat treatment turned out great every time. I think 15n20 from other sources might come in a near spring temper and is hard to drill.
I would like to add that for "ME", 15n20 is much much better than 1084. Its just as easy to heat treat if not easier. It can be run super hard because of its toughness and does well on very thin and thin edges kitchen knives that I like to build. One other plus for kitchen use is that 15n20 resist rust much better than 1084. A spot when you would have red rust on 1084 will only be a stain on 15n20 and it doesn't put as bad.

Last edited:
the same as far as heat treat goes. Alot of Damascus is made with 1084 / 15n20 because of heat treat similarities. I like using 1/8 15n20 for small knives. Its inexpensive, readily available and will get relatively hard among other things.

Thanks I am about push thru a order for some 1084 and some 15n20. Finishing up some projects this week while I wait for the steel. Now some walnut burl for the kitchen knives and blue linen micarta for the hunter/skinners. Of course I plan keep a skinner with some walnut burl.

Back