AEB-L Seax

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a commission I took for a gentleman in the UK. It's almost done, and I thought I'd show it here. AEB-L stainless steel at RC 61 with contoured natural maple handle scales, two brass pins and four brass tubes. Thanks for looking!

IMG_8097.JPG
IMG_8098.JPG
IMG_8099.JPG
IMG_8100.JPG
IMG_8143.JPG
IMG_8144.JPG
IMG_8145.JPG
IMG_8146.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good. Wharncliffe shapes are one of my favorite designs, can think it would work well on green foliage.

Thank you!

Wharncliffe shapes are one of my favorite designs, can think it would work well on green foliage.

Absolutely. The wharncliffe/seax style blade and point is much less prone to slipping off foliage so it makes a great brush clearing knife, and also for thin branches and twigs. The only time I would choose one with belly at the tip instead of a seax is when I need to do lots of chopping very close to the ground, where the belly and sweep of the tip helps to keep the tip away from the soil and rocks.

Thank you!

Absolutely. The wharncliffe/seax style blade and point is much less prone to slipping off foliage so it makes a great brush clearing knife, and also for thin branches and twigs. The only time I would choose one with belly at the tip instead of a seax is when I need to do lots of chopping very close to the ground, where the belly and sweep of the tip helps to keep the tip away from the soil and rocks.

Agreed. It is surprising how much damage parangs, machetes can take when used extensively.

This is a commission I took for a gentleman in the UK. It's almost done, and I thought I'd show it here. AEB-L stainless steel at RC 61 with contoured natural maple handle scales, two brass pins and four brass tubes. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 1420938
View attachment 1420939
View attachment 1420940
View attachment 1420941
View attachment 1421605
View attachment 1421606
View attachment 1421607
8View attachment 1421608
Ayyyy that's mine, its held up amazingly against hard use over nearly a year and still shaving sharp which is ridiculous

Back