Review AEB-L versus A2

RobbieB

Gold Member
As most here are aware, Fiddleback Forge recently started producing some knives using AEB-L steel in addition to the A2 they have been using. AEB-L is a stainless steel, and being something new, a few folks have had questions about it. One of which relates to its toughness or durability. At the risk of increasing my Friday competition for AEB-L blades, I wanted to share my experiences with this steel.

Just before I first learned of Fiddleback Forge last year, I made the decision that all my new knife purchases would be stainless. I try to keep my knives looking new, and with everything else I have to do, I didn't really want to add knife maintenance to the list. Then the Fiddlebug bit, and I now have way more carbon steel knives than I ever imagined. So, I was ecstatic when the fabulous Fiddlebacks began showing up in AEB-L. I've added several to my collection already.

40842063362_62309be24d_b.jpg

I first heard of AEB-L in late 2016 directly from a knife maker who said it was his favorite steel, and I've heard several since talk about really liking this steel. From what I understand, it was originally designed for razor blades, and I believe I read somewhere it really shines at around 61 HRC. I'm not sure how hard AEB-L Fiddlebacks are, but I believe Andy & Co. have nailed the heat treat.

For this evaluation, I chose a new Fiddleback model of which I happen to have in both A2 and AEB-L: the Bushcraft Tasker. The one in A2 is 0.125" (1/8) and the AEB-L version is 0.118".

40842059402_944f2cfc03_b.jpg

40842058212_37a2c9b1df_b.jpg

I started off with a little feather sticking. In all these tests, I tried to keep things as equal as possible between both blades. So, I used two ends of the same piece of wood for this test. Both knives performed equally well, and afterwards I examined the edge of each under 10X magnification. Both A2 and AEB-L still looked brand new.

40175977654_cda71b3035_b.jpg

40842046732_205ebc5212_b.jpg

Next I cut a notch into a stick. Again, I used the same stick for both knives, and again, both performed the same. Like before, I ended this exercise by looking at the edges under 10X magnification, and they both still look the same.

40175979944_038e881045_b.jpg

40842048112_d7c08d715b_b.jpg

The next test was to baton some pine. I took about a 14" long half-round and batoned just outside the inner core. The outside piece was then batoned into kindling and the process repeated using the other knife. I avoided the inner core in an attempt to make things as equivalent as possible for both knives. Neither had any trouble going through the pine. Examined under 10X magnification, the edge of both knives was still good as new. By now, both blades are getting dirty, but that's really the only change.

40842052102_f51a065c18_b.jpg

40175981844_f0f05e73a9_b.jpg

My next test was to baton some hardwood. For this, I chose a 12-inch long whole piece of dogwood, a very dense wood. I used a table saw to rip the wood into even halves, and proceeded to baton. It was considerably tougher to get through this than the pine, and I was fully expecting to see some impact to edges after this. Under 10X magnification, though, I could not find any rolled, chipped, or otherwise imperfect edge on either knife.

40842052832_e9989bca25_b.jpg

40175982864_26a55a3f3e_b.jpg

At the end of these tests...
40175984254_b4c8ab3319_b.jpg

I then cleaned up both blades and turned a sheet of copy paper into narrow strips. Both knives cut through this the same as the day I got them. I conducted one final exam under 10X magnification. The A2 blade looked the same as before I began these tests. There was something with AEB-L blade on a very small part of the edge. It was visible only on one side, and running a cotton ball along the length of the edge did not pull off any fibers. I decided to run the knife over a strop a few times (took about a minute), after which whatever I saw was gone. I suspect it was a discoloration from the wood that my cleaning had not removed.

I have not owned any AEB-L models long enough that they need sharpening, so I don't have any direct experience with that yet. I have, however, heard knife makers say AEB-L's workability is about equivalent to 1095, so I expect it would be about as easy to sharpen.

From what I can tell, A2 and AEB-L are just about indistinguishable in terms of performance and toughness. In general, stainless steels are more brittle, so if you tend to pry things with your knives, you may see some bigger differences between them. Should you buy Fiddleback Forge knives in AEB-L? That's for you to decide, but I'd rather you not. I'll continue adding them to my collection, and I don't need any more sharks going after these blades. :D

As a side note, at the end of all this, my hands had a distinct yellow/orange tint. Wiping down the Osage scales with a damp paper towel left it yellow. This is the most I've ever used an Osage knife, and my hands did get sweaty toward the end as it warmed up outside. For all you Osage fans, is this common? If so, does it diminish over time?

Thanks for answering some of the questions I didn’t really know I had until reading this! Great information here. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The only thing I’ve experienced with my Osage is a darkening of the wood after handling with sweaty palms. Maybe I just haven’t noticed if there was any staining.

Thanks for answering some of the questions I didn’t really know I had until reading this! Great information here. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The only thing I’ve experienced with my Osage is a darkening of the wood after handling with sweaty palms. Maybe I just haven’t noticed if there was any staining.
What awhile and use it more. It ages awesome. UV rays and oils from your skin make it turn a awesome brownish color

Paging @Luca917

R RobbieB WOW!! FANTASTIC review and comparison!! It was exactly what I was looking for in a comparison of the steels. Thank you very much for doing that. Now to see how these babies sharpen up!! Anybody? As far as the osage bleed off, I’ve not heard of that. I also refer to Nbrackett Nbrackett and his stellar osage line up. He says he hasn’t had that issue either. AND. Those are some real sweet Bushcraft Tasker!!

As most here are aware, Fiddleback Forge recently started producing some knives using AEB-L steel in addition to the A2 they have been using. AEB-L is a stainless steel, and being something new, a few folks have had questions about it. One of which relates to its toughness or durability. At the risk of increasing my Friday competition for AEB-L blades, I wanted to share my experiences with this steel.

Just before I first learned of Fiddleback Forge last year, I made the decision that all my new knife purchases would be stainless. I try to keep my knives looking new, and with everything else I have to do, I didn't really want to add knife maintenance to the list. Then the Fiddlebug bit, and I now have way more carbon steel knives than I ever imagined. So, I was ecstatic when the fabulous Fiddlebacks began showing up in AEB-L. I've added several to my collection already.

40842063362_62309be24d_b.jpg

I first heard of AEB-L in late 2016 directly from a knife maker who said it was his favorite steel, and I've heard several since talk about really liking this steel. From what I understand, it was originally designed for razor blades, and I believe I read somewhere it really shines at around 61 HRC. I'm not sure how hard AEB-L Fiddlebacks are, but I believe Andy & Co. have nailed the heat treat.

For this evaluation, I chose a new Fiddleback model of which I happen to have in both A2 and AEB-L: the Bushcraft Tasker. The one in A2 is 0.125" (1/8) and the AEB-L version is 0.118".

40842059402_944f2cfc03_b.jpg

40842058212_37a2c9b1df_b.jpg

I started off with a little feather sticking. In all these tests, I tried to keep things as equal as possible between both blades. So, I used two ends of the same piece of wood for this test. Both knives performed equally well, and afterwards I examined the edge of each under 10X magnification. Both A2 and AEB-L still looked brand new.

40175977654_cda71b3035_b.jpg

40842046732_205ebc5212_b.jpg

Next I cut a notch into a stick. Again, I used the same stick for both knives, and again, both performed the same. Like before, I ended this exercise by looking at the edges under 10X magnification, and they both still look the same.

40175979944_038e881045_b.jpg

40842048112_d7c08d715b_b.jpg

The next test was to baton some pine. I took about a 14" long half-round and batoned just outside the inner core. The outside piece was then batoned into kindling and the process repeated using the other knife. I avoided the inner core in an attempt to make things as equivalent as possible for both knives. Neither had any trouble going through the pine. Examined under 10X magnification, the edge of both knives was still good as new. By now, both blades are getting dirty, but that's really the only change.

40842052102_f51a065c18_b.jpg

40175981844_f0f05e73a9_b.jpg

My next test was to baton some hardwood. For this, I chose a 12-inch long whole piece of dogwood, a very dense wood. I used a table saw to rip the wood into even halves, and proceeded to baton. It was considerably tougher to get through this than the pine, and I was fully expecting to see some impact to edges after this. Under 10X magnification, though, I could not find any rolled, chipped, or otherwise imperfect edge on either knife.

40842052832_e9989bca25_b.jpg

40175982864_26a55a3f3e_b.jpg

At the end of these tests...
40175984254_b4c8ab3319_b.jpg

I then cleaned up both blades and turned a sheet of copy paper into narrow strips. Both knives cut through this the same as the day I got them. I conducted one final exam under 10X magnification. The A2 blade looked the same as before I began these tests. There was something with AEB-L blade on a very small part of the edge. It was visible only on one side, and running a cotton ball along the length of the edge did not pull off any fibers. I decided to run the knife over a strop a few times (took about a minute), after which whatever I saw was gone. I suspect it was a discoloration from the wood that my cleaning had not removed.

I have not owned any AEB-L models long enough that they need sharpening, so I don't have any direct experience with that yet. I have, however, heard knife makers say AEB-L's workability is about equivalent to 1095, so I expect it would be about as easy to sharpen.

From what I can tell, A2 and AEB-L are just about indistinguishable in terms of performance and toughness. In general, stainless steels are more brittle, so if you tend to pry things with your knives, you may see some bigger differences between them. Should you buy Fiddleback Forge knives in AEB-L? That's for you to decide, but I'd rather you not. I'll continue adding them to my collection, and I don't need any more sharks going after these blades. :D

As a side note, at the end of all this, my hands had a distinct yellow/orange tint. Wiping down the Osage scales with a damp paper towel left it yellow. This is the most I've ever used an Osage knife, and my hands did get sweaty toward the end as it warmed up outside. For all you Osage fans, is this common? If so, does it diminish over time?

I can't thank you enough for this review, and for more than one reason.

Firstly I love and needed the comparison information. We've RC tested the blades, and taken random knives out and beat on them, and used both of course because I carry A2. But we weren't trying to compare them, we were just making ourselves feel comfortable that everything was right and they acted like knives. (The AEBL is set to 59-60 RC, btw. And I find sharpening it very easy. The burr on AEBL tends to be wider, and easier to see. You can peel long hairlike curves from the edge when stroping. Fun.)

Next, you picked a model that is new, and hasn't gotten much play, but that I think is one of my best bushcrafting designs, and completely different from the others in small ways. It has a very simple handle. The Bushcrafter, Bushfinger, and many of the others have what I call two cup handle carvings. They have a palm swell. Whereas the Bushcraft Tasker has a one cup handle. (The terminology is how I teach handle carving. A cup is the hollow shape I make with an 8" wheel to start the carving and set the thickness of the scales.) It also has an elliptical style edge. Among the bushcrafters (4" blade models) in my lineup maybe the Nessmuk (also a one cup handle carving) is the only other one. I needed to hear that this knife was impressing folks that are using them in the woods.

Lastly its just a good time for reviews. Any chance you want to re-post this to the knife reviews and testing forum. You get a 10% discount off your next direct purchased Fiddleback knife if you do.

Thanks a million.

ps It think it likely that thats the last of the yellow staining. Probably some of the sawdust that was left after sanding got caught in the wax we use to finish the handle, and leeched out onto you when you warmed it up. And please post more pics of the knives getting used! I love that.

I can't thank you enough for this review, and for more than one reason.

Firstly I love and needed the comparison information. We've RC tested the blades, and taken random knives out and beat on them, and used both of course because I carry A2. But we weren't trying to compare them, we were just making ourselves feel comfortable that everything was right and they acted like knives. (The AEBL is set to 59-60 RC, btw. And I find sharpening it very easy. The burr on AEBL tends to be wider, and easier to see. You can peel long hairlike curves from the edge when stroping. Fun.)

Next, you picked a model that is new, and hasn't gotten much play, but that I think is one of my best bushcrafting designs, and completely different from the others in small ways. It has a very simple handle. The Bushcrafter, Bushfinger, and many of the others have what I call two cup handle carvings. They have a palm swell. Whereas the Bushcraft Tasker has a one cup handle. (The terminology is how I teach handle carving. A cup is the hollow shape I make with an 8" wheel to start the carving and set the thickness of the scales.) It also has an elliptical style edge. Among the bushcrafters (4" blade models) in my lineup maybe the Nessmuk (also a one cup handle carving) is the only other one. I needed to hear that this knife was impressing folks that are using them in the woods.

Lastly its just a good time for reviews. Any chance you want to re-post this to the knife reviews and testing forum. You get a 10% discount off your next direct purchased Fiddleback knife if you do.

Thanks a million.

ps It think it likely that thats the last of the yellow staining. Probably some of the sawdust that was left after sanding got caught in the wax we use to finish the handle, and leeched out onto you when you warmed it up. And please post more pics of the knives getting used! I love that.
You're welcome Andy; I was happy to do it. Review re-posted, and the thought had crossed my mind that the staining had something to do with it being brand new. This was the first time I used the Osage model.

My (limited) understanding of AEBL is that, largely due to its very fine grain, it really excels at push cuts with a thin, polished edge (i.e. other steels may be a better choice where a coarser edge for slicing somewhat more abrasive materials is desired). It seems to have a lot of fans for kitchen knives. While 59 - 60 RC is absolutely within the accepted range, ~62 is “better” for the purpose described above (but also involves a more complex HT)?

I don’t have any experience with this steel - yet. I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts.

Again, my knowledge about this steel is very limited, so I don’t want to spread false or misleading information. This is just based on what I have read from various sources.

Last edited:
Oyster Oyster - to your point about push cuts, I now own Fiddleback, Surls, Grange Park, and Cumming Bladeworks in aeb-l and noticed the push cut on every one of them, especially the 0.04 stock. Yikes! I have been using the term ‘aggressive’.

My (limited) understanding of AEBL is that <snip>

Exactly, I think more than a few interested parties haven't experienced AEBL it's pros and cons first hand. Reading about it yes, experiencing it first hand maybe not. This is a fantastic review coming while group buy AEBL Hiking Buddies are being built 1 thread over, so THANK YOU!

I would be interested to see corrosion performance as I tend to buy nice stuff, but am negligent on maintenance (getting better). My first FF pre patina'd O1 user changed my skewed perception of carbon steel. It let me see what happens with the patina when using while seeing additional patina form. Bought more O1 based on that. Negligent is ok, completely lazy with no wipe off is not (or force a patina). Knew that from reading but seeing first hand it is different.

If someone can do a scrap piece based A2 versus AEBL outdoor corrosion test that would be cool (real general user not scientific perfection). 2-4 pieces of scrap squares each is all it'd take.

If someone can do a scrap piece based A2 versus AEBL outdoor corrosion test that would be cool (real general user not scientific perfection). 2-4 pieces of scrap squares each is all it'd take.
i can do that Noah

i started one 2 yrs ago to compare A2/CPM154/O1...somehow I got confused and set it up as O1/CPM154/O1 as it lays on the board. It's been riding around in the bed of my truck ever since.
2v2JAC7qvxurAoi.jpg

i can do that Noah

i started one 2 yrs ago to compare A2/CPM154/O1...somehow I got confused and set it up as O1/CPM154/O1 as it lays on the board. It's been riding around in the bed of my truck ever since.
2v2JAC7qvxurAoi.jpg
They're STILLLL there??? I remember that discussion from way back early to mid-2016 and once in a while I wonder whatever happened to those blades but always forgot to ask. That's pretty cool :thumbsup:

Back