1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

AEB-l vs Nitro V Warping

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by scott kozub, Apr 24, 2018.

1. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So I did my first ever stainless knives in AEB'L and ground pre heat treat with no issues. I did one more blade and left a much thicker edge and it warped a lot. I must have had an uneven grind or moved it around in the dry ice.

Reading up after I noticed all the concerns with AEB'L warping. I'm looking to make another steel order and I'm curious if people had better luck with Nitro V?

2. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Generally people don’t grind AEB-L befor heat treating it. It is a picky steel but o de you figure it out its not to bad. If I remember correctly nitro v was having cracking issues

3. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    I've found no correlation between alloy and warping. They all warp sometimes.

Rhinoknives1 and Justin Schmidt like this.
  4. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I found it easier to grind after heat treat anyways. I got crisper lines. Pre heat felt a little grabby on the belt and it was hard to hold the blades steady.

Storm W and kmf600 like this.
  5. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I grind AEB-L to almost finish pre heat treat and they come back from Tru Grit perfectly straight every single time.

The only time I grind post heat treat is when the blade is 1/8" or less.

ChristoDart likes this.
  6. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    What Scott said^^^ I’ve done all of my grinding for all of my diff Stainless Steels Post HT over the years.. 440C ATS-34 CM-154 AEB-L & Nitro-V etc. ————// I profile , put a Scandi type grind on them, off to PAUL Bos at Buck for HT & Cryo treatment and I do a full Flat Grind!! No warping issues!!

7. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Most of the ARB-L that comes to me is the crazy thin stuff that is large kitchen blade sizes. Thy can get a bit wild.

Willie71, Ken H> and Justin Schmidt like this.
  8. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    V
    3/32”?? Or the metric equivalent? That’s what I use in AEB-L & Nitro-v

9. SirSpice

SirSpice

Jun 14, 2013
    I've had major warping issues with Nitro-V. I only profiled before heat treat, and I did a plate quench. Every single blade came out of the plate quench with a major warp. Same thing happened to the guy from Simple Little Life. S30V and S35VN came out as straight as they went in. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll need to correct the warp during tempering.

10. cotdt

cotdt

Oct 2, 2006
    Any updates on the latest batch of Nitro-V? It sure comes straight and flat, almost like precision ground. I hope it stays that way when I heat treat it

11. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis

Feb 24, 2000
    I have used JT's heat treating for AEB-L. He does a great job.
    I grind the bevels on after the heat treatment. I have found the AEB-L post heat treatment is not much different to grind than CPM 154 pre-heat treatment.

12. Isley

Isley

Feb 26, 2016
    I just posted a question related to this one, "Cold Rolled Skin", if this holds any water it may address some warp issues with AEB-L relative to other steels. I dunno.

13. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    We had some issues - learned to not correct the warp between plate-quench and sub-zero. We're mostly doing kitchen thickness blades.
    Not sure if grinding the bevels more evenly (half one side, half the other, then again) helped. But we did add a longer hold at 1750F in the hopes it would act as stress relief before the final ramp to 1950F. But we've only done maybe 8 or 9 AEB-L blades so far, so take that all with a grain of salt.

14. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    Thank you, we try very hard to provide a top notch heat treat. It’s funny bevause when we started I hated doing AEBL. Now I quite enjoy it. I have the process so ironed out that I almost never get a warp anymore. But by far A2 is the most stress free steel to heat treat.

daizee likes this.
  15. comet_sharp

comet_sharp

Aug 22, 2016
    Noted, after seeing the Japanese using hitachi skd and sld steels ive been very curious to try A2 or D2 on a kitchen blade. They way the HT the hitachi equivalent is outstanding.
    -Trey

16. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    My wife’s favorite kitchen knife steel is A2. She has 2 in A2 and she uses them more then any of her other knives. She uses them every day and I think I sharpen them around 3 times a year. I highly recommend it as a kitchen knife steel. Very stable during heat treat.

Storm W likes this.
  17. KNelson

KNelson

Jan 9, 2019
    Just did a batch of 5 8” knives in AEBL and some A2, for poops and grins I did a 1200 degree 2 hour stress relief. ( I was having warping issues with A2 without it) each blade came out perfectly straight after HT.

18. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014
    Jt, I would love to hear a few more details. I am experimenting with AEBL for kitchen knives, and 52100. I love to Sharpen knives and look for steel that easily maintains a fine edge. Apparently A2 would be a candidate? How is it to grind and sharpen on kitchen knives that are thin?