AEB-l vs Nitro V Warping

So I did my first ever stainless knives in AEB'L and ground pre heat treat with no issues. I did one more blade and left a much thicker edge and it warped a lot. I must have had an uneven grind or moved it around in the dry ice.

Reading up after I noticed all the concerns with AEB'L warping. I'm looking to make another steel order and I'm curious if people had better luck with Nitro V?

Generally people don’t grind AEB-L befor heat treating it. It is a picky steel but o de you figure it out its not to bad. If I remember correctly nitro v was having cracking issues

Generally people don’t grind AEB-L befor heat treating it. It is a picky steel but o de you figure it out its not to bad. If I remember correctly nitro v was having cracking issues

I found it easier to grind after heat treat anyways. I got crisper lines. Pre heat felt a little grabby on the belt and it was hard to hold the blades steady.

I grind AEB-L to almost finish pre heat treat and they come back from Tru Grit perfectly straight every single time.

The only time I grind post heat treat is when the blade is 1/8" or less.

I found it easier to grind after heat treat anyways. I got crisper lines. Pre heat felt a little grabby on the belt and it was hard to hold the blades steady.
What Scott said^^^ I’ve done all of my grinding for all of my diff Stainless Steels Post HT over the years.. 440C ATS-34 CM-154 AEB-L & Nitro-V etc. ————// I profile , put a Scandi type grind on them, off to PAUL Bos at Buck for HT & Cryo treatment and I do a full Flat Grind!! No warping issues!!

I've had major warping issues with Nitro-V. I only profiled before heat treat, and I did a plate quench. Every single blade came out of the plate quench with a major warp. Same thing happened to the guy from Simple Little Life. S30V and S35VN came out as straight as they went in. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll need to correct the warp during tempering.

Any updates on the latest batch of Nitro-V? It sure comes straight and flat, almost like precision ground. I hope it stays that way when I heat treat it

I have used JT's heat treating for AEB-L. He does a great job.
I grind the bevels on after the heat treatment. I have found the AEB-L post heat treatment is not much different to grind than CPM 154 pre-heat treatment.

I just posted a question related to this one, "Cold Rolled Skin", if this holds any water it may address some warp issues with AEB-L relative to other steels. I dunno.

We had some issues - learned to not correct the warp between plate-quench and sub-zero. We're mostly doing kitchen thickness blades.
Not sure if grinding the bevels more evenly (half one side, half the other, then again) helped. But we did add a longer hold at 1750F in the hopes it would act as stress relief before the final ramp to 1950F. But we've only done maybe 8 or 9 AEB-L blades so far, so take that all with a grain of salt.

I have used JT's heat treating for AEB-L. He does a great job.
I grind the bevels on after the heat treatment. I have found the AEB-L post heat treatment is not much different to grind than CPM 154 pre-heat treatment.

Thank you, we try very hard to provide a top notch heat treat. It’s funny bevause when we started I hated doing AEBL. Now I quite enjoy it. I have the process so ironed out that I almost never get a warp anymore. But by far A2 is the most stress free steel to heat treat.

Thank you, we try very hard to provide a top notch heat treat. It’s funny bevause when we started I hated doing AEBL. Now I quite enjoy it. I have the process so ironed out that I almost never get a warp anymore. But by far A2 is the most stress free steel to heat treat.
Noted, after seeing the Japanese using hitachi skd and sld steels ive been very curious to try A2 or D2 on a kitchen blade. They way the HT the hitachi equivalent is outstanding.
-Trey

My wife’s favorite kitchen knife steel is A2. She has 2 in A2 and she uses them more then any of her other knives. She uses them every day and I think I sharpen them around 3 times a year. I highly recommend it as a kitchen knife steel. Very stable during heat treat.

Just did a batch of 5 8” knives in AEBL and some A2, for poops and grins I did a 1200 degree 2 hour stress relief. ( I was having warping issues with A2 without it) each blade came out perfectly straight after HT.

My wife’s favorite kitchen knife steel is A2. She has 2 in A2 and she uses them more then any of her other knives. She uses them every day and I think I sharpen them around 3 times a year. I highly recommend it as a kitchen knife steel. Very stable during heat treat.
Jt, I would love to hear a few more details. I am experimenting with AEBL for kitchen knives, and 52100. I love to Sharpen knives and look for steel that easily maintains a fine edge. Apparently A2 would be a candidate? How is it to grind and sharpen on kitchen knives that are thin?

Back