Affordable quality Laguiole Steak Knife Set

So I am looking for a quality set of steak knives that are the Laguiole style for in the range of $300-$400 per set of 6. I've looked at some of the Major French brands such as Honoré Durand, Forge de Laguiole", and La Coutellerie de Laguiole but they seem to be too expensive.

Any recommendations on makers for a quality set in this price range? Also I do not see many American makers doing Laguiole steak knives, are there any?

I bought my Languiole steak knives at a discount designer clothing store that also carries housewares for $15. They cut steak just fine and look great, designed in France, made in china of course. I can't imagine WANTING to spend $400 on steak knives but I'm sure they are out there, but if you consider $400 for steak knives affordable, your tastes are WAY WAY up there, like gold plated toilet seat stuff.

I love my perceval 9.47 steak knives and I think you can find a set of six for under $400. Not the laguile shape but fantastic knives handmade in Thiers France.

Steak knives. "The Edges" get totally F--ed up from constant use on a China plate, While I do make them at $200.00 each,
I don't recommend them to the vast majority of Peps!

Put your money into Quality Plain Edge Chief/Culinary knives for preparing your foods! Buy lesser grade Wusthof or the Frenchies or even those $8-12.00 Ranch Style Steak knives from S, America look and work fine.

Rhinoknives is right. I make steak knives out of Nirto V or S35VN but I charge $150 to $200 each. Buy some cheap ones and throw them away when the get too dull to cut the steak.

Ok did a little more research and found these that might work. But Tim & Rhinoknives, you don't think something like this would be worth it?

Laguiole "Le Fidele" 6-piece set of steak knives - Horn Noir
OR
Claude Dozorme Laguiole 6-piece set of steak knives, Stainless Steel with Satin Finish

Claude Dozorme seems to have some in that range that look nice and quality but as first time buying not sure. I'm looking for something flat edge, non serrated. couldn't they be sharpened? Or you just feel waste of money?

I looked at the websites for both brands and right off the bat saw two things that put me off. First, the handles look too small (might just be a personal preference), and second, they don't specify the type of steel. If you buy Stainless, my guess is it will be 440B, which is a middling grade, at best. It will probably run Rc 56-58, which will dull quickly when cutting on a ceramic plate. They can be sharpened but do you want to do that every other meal? If you buy a custom set it will be made of a top of the line steel, hardened to Rc 60-63, with a comfortable handle, and MADE IN THE USA. It may not look as fancy, but it will be much more comfortable to use.
Tim

I looked at the websites for both brands and right off the bat saw two things that put me off. First, the handles look too small (might just be a personal preference), and second, they don't specify the type of steel. If you buy Stainless, my guess is it will be 440B, which is a middling grade, at best. It will probably run Rc 56-58, which will dull quickly when cutting on a ceramic plate. They can be sharpened but do you want to do that every other meal? If you buy a custom set it will be made of a top of the line steel, hardened to Rc 60-63, with a comfortable handle, and MADE IN THE USA. It may not look as fancy, but it will be much more comfortable to use.
Tim
I use my Opinel Efile 12 when eating out. It only requires stropping after a meal. At home I use self-handled paring knives for any meat. They also only stropping before/after a meal. They are available as knife blanks at numerous mail order outlets.

Perhaps your palate can tell the difference in cut, but I am a firm believer that all eating knives should be serrated because of the plate-smashing issue. Flatten the tips, but the scallops will keep cutting. If you want perfectly cut meat, do it with a yanagi on your board and plate it appropriately. The Japanese are way into texture as a primary part of their cuisine, and have evolved their own solution to this problem by requiring no cutting at the plate.

My opinion on the widely available Laguiole knives is that they are mostly poorly made, including most of the folders I've seen (and own). They are pretty from a distance, and have nice French-traditional decor, but they also usually come plain-edged, so not great for eating on plates. (and the folders invariably have incorrect kick/tip/handle geometry)

Here's an idea... get a full set of beautiful hand-made wooden plates! ;)

Good luck on your search, and please post pictures if you find something excellent worth sharing.

So I am looking for a quality set of steak knives that are the Laguiole style for in the range of $300-$400 per set of 6. I've looked at some of the Major French brands such as Honoré Durand, Forge de Laguiole", and La Coutellerie de Laguiole but they seem to be too expensive.

Any recommendations on makers for a quality set in this price range? Also I do not see many American makers doing Laguiole steak knives, are there any?

Good Lord,,,,$300.-$400.??? I picked up an 8-knife Laguiole boxed set at Costco for $40. Canadian,,,, beautiful Pakkawood handles. They handle beautifully,,, cut really well,,, and superb dexterity.

Daizee has the right idea in one way. I use wooden plates and bowles here at home, they are less expensive than some knives. I'm not wild about serrated knives though. Wood's good, serrated blades, not so much for me.

Ok did a little more research and found these that might work. But Tim & Rhinoknives, you don't think something like this would be worth it?

Laguiole "Le Fidele" 6-piece set of steak knives - Horn Noir
OR
Claude Dozorme Laguiole 6-piece set of steak knives, Stainless Steel with Satin Finish

Claude Dozorme seems to have some in that range that look nice and quality but as first time buying not sure. I'm looking for something flat edge, non serrated. couldn't they be sharpened? Or you just feel waste of money?

Here's a 6-knife set from a Canadian outfit; $49.99 CDN = $34. US

https://www.williamsfoodequipment.com/trudeau-laguiole-6-pack-pakkawood-steak-knives-0973046

https://d7h8sdtmi2h3e.cloudfront.ne...7136e95/t/r/trudeau_laguiole_steak_knives.jpg

FWIW, I'll turn 71 next week,,, and I've eaten more than a few steaks in that lifetime. I've also stayed in 5-star hotels in London, Paris, and New York (and quite a few more places), and never once was I given a non-serrated knife for my meal. At home, I've used serrated steak knives all my life, and I've never had one go dull on me,,,, nor did they "tear" meat apart. Was I just 'lucky"???

There are two issues here. Most restaurants wash their utensils in a dishwasher, and as anybody who owns a fine knife knows, the dishwasher is terrible for knives; therefore, the characteristics of factory steak knives are making them very thin and serrated so they still cut by sawing even when not very sharp. The same issue holds with how porcelain, stoneware, and other common materials used for eating plates dull knives.

The Laguiole knives that you find cheaply are stamped steel serrated knives made inexpensively. But just like EDC, hunting, camping, and kitchen knives, there are more expensive versions with either better steel or more craftsmanship involved. It's perfectly fine if you can't tell the difference or think it's not worthwhile, so you can spend a lot less on you knives and be happy. There are other people for whom it may make a difference, so for them, they look to the other options.

And there are restaurants that do not use factory made serrated knives. I know a number of custom knifemakers that have made knives for restaurants. Off the top of my head, Crafted Knife Co made non-serrated custom steak knives for L'Enclume: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcz44WOn8Hv/?igshid=tct45ei6b9ba

There are other examples of custom steak knives for restaurants but my memory isn't 100%. I'm pretty sure Bloodroot Blades has made them, maybe Fell Knives, Monolith Knives, and a bunch of other makers too.

Try looking at Thiers steak knives...

This is neither a Laguiole style and definitely not cheap.
similar set at $3,000+, mammoth ivory is very expensive.

This is a recently completed 12 set for a good customer, design based on a Thiers steak knife I purchased in Thiers. Interior mammoth handles, AEB-L blade.

The last pic is the prototype I made for myself in 1084.

gEEHFNM.jpg

xQ67U9k.jpg

ZAIT4uP.jpg

Back