Air-SOG authentic?

Yeah, could be any of the things Ken mentioned. No matter what it looks to be in great shape!

Ken, thanks for your comments! No matter what I do like the blade. I shall see how it holds the edge and I own a Tormek 7 anyway.

IMHO, that looks like normal wear and tear on a knife thats been used and sharpened some. Not everyone who sharpens their knives pays close attention to the process.

does anyone know what blade steel was used on them

Many early Seki SOGs were marketed as 440A. But later SOG disclosed that they only used that because American buyers would be more familiar with it than the Aus6 that was actually used. BTW SOG is not the only company to have done this.

Many early Seki SOGs were marketed as 440A. But later SOG disclosed that they only used that because American buyers would be more familiar with it than the Aus6 that was actually used. BTW SOG is not the only company to have done this.

So was that true of all knives that were said to use 440a? Just wondering.

So was that true of all knives that were said to use 440a? Just wondering.

Don't know who else had "440A" marked knives back then. Browning had 440 Stainless but later admitted
it was Aus8. Cold Steel used "400 Series Stainless" early on that they admitted was Aus8 in some cases.
To my knowledge no one has stepped up to explain their use of "surgical stainless steel" though. LOL

Don't know who else had "440A" marked knives back then. Browning had 440 Stainless but later admitted
it was Aus8. Cold Steel used "400 Series Stainless" early on that they admitted was Aus8 in some cases.
To my knowledge no one has stepped up to explain their use of "surgical stainless steel" though. LOL

I was more thinking of sog specifically but that is interesting about cold steel. So the magnadot I have and the air on the way are likely Aus6 and not 440a?

I was more thinking of sog specifically but that is interesting about cold steel. So the magnadot I have and the air on the way are likely Aus6 and not 440a?

I would pretty much bet on it. Those models were made in Seki(probably by G.Sakai) and Seki City is right next to Aichi Prefecture(State) where Aichi Steel is located. I can not imagine that it would be
economical to import US made 400A when Aus6/Aus8 is available practically next door. All of SOG's Seki knives I found seem to be Aus6, except for specific models that state otherwise.
For example the S2 Trident and Scuba Demo were marketed as Aus8 at the time. I am not aware of any info on Folders until the move to VG10 and laminates.

The Air SOG was made in the 1990s. They came in a plain edged and a serrated edge version.
No Air SOGs had clips, they came with a small nylon belt pouch. The thumbstud seems to be either
metal color or black depending on the knife. I am not aware of any Air SOGs
having any jimping. Mine does not have any.
Mine niether. No jumping on the airsog. No pocket clip as well. U gotta official!

Back