AKTI Knife-Giveaway Contest #1 - Why join AKTI?

We're ready to start our first knife give-away contest! The contest starts March 1st and ends March 31st. Winners will be announced by April 17th.

Contest Topic: We want your ideas about why someone should join AKTI. A paragraph or two will be fine. Indicate whether you give AKTI permission to post your answer to our web site (we'll include your first name, hometown and state).

Rules: Only one post per person - so make it good! We will select the best answers).

Prize: The number of knives given away will be based on how many really good answers we get. At least one knife (Spyderco Starmate -donated by Joyce Lauturi) will be given away.

Looking forward to seeing your comments! Jan, Sal and CJ

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

Remember all the replies that I gave, I was wondering if you could just remember them or like carry them over because I gave at least over 20 seperate reasons all on this exact topic so I was wondering if you couls just add thos into your contest???
If this is not possible then I can copy them and repost them......
THANX
(i have no life, and really want a knife
wink.gif
)

Mickey77 -
Thanks for all your previous ideas and comments. But to enter this contest you need to write something that specifically addresses the question of Why join AKTI. The purpose is to help answer this question when people are thinking about whether or not to join. If you were having a conversation with a friend and they asked you why you joined AKTI, what would you say?

Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

Mickey77,
Since the contest rules are only one post per person, please either combine your posts into what you want to enter or rewrite one.
Thanks,
Jan

Oh I am soo sorry I didnt read that spot I guess, so Ill combine them,

Well the mail slogan you should have is, PROTECT YOUR KNIFE RIGHTS, like keep that in the title, if someone asked me why I ojined AKTI I would then proceed to pull out my knife and show them why.......
Also another reason that you could mention is automatic knives, try to get the right to go through testing to get the rights to own an auto, I jknow that is something yall are working on so maybe also add that into your title like, EARN RIGHTS TO
OWN AUTOMATICS!!!!!
Another way you could get people to join, is to hold contests exactly like this one, but maybe also hold contests that are just exclusive to the members of AKTI, like everyone that is a member has a chance of a free renewal or something, and who ever gives a good idea or suggestion for your website or something gets a free renewal, but also at the same time you will be able to hear all the opinions about your site......
One might also like to join AKTI because of the material possesions he get, so try to make it definitely clear what you get, remember it is all about wording it, like saying exclusive newsletter, company decal, official AKTI MEMBERSHIP CARD, so why would one join AKTI.......
Because ofthe cool stuff you get.......

Why should you join ATKI?

The short answer is to protect your right to collect and carry the knives that you love and to help spread an appreciation of knives to the Non-Knife public.

The AKTI is working to address the fact that today you may be committing a crime by carrying your knife without realizing it because the laws are ambiguous and change dramatically from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. It is also working to promote a healthy apprectiation of knives as tools among people who are not currently interested in knives by supporting educational programs for Scouts, 4H and other Groups.

------------------
P.S. You can use my inputs whether I win anything or not.
AKTI Member No. A000370

[This message has been edited by SDouglas (edited 03-08-2000).]

Should we post our contest entry here in this thread, or would you rather we do it via e-mail? I think I'd like to formulate my ideas without having to read everyone else's first.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

Okay, I'll just post my entry here.

Why Join AKTI?

There is a widespread tendency to view knives, especially pocket and sheath knives, as weapons. The resulting anti-knife legislation, however good-intentioned it may be, makes it less likely that law abiding citizens will have access to a knife when they need one. Have you ever been in a situation where you needed a sharp edge or point to perform a necessary and perfectly innocent task? Maybe you can’t remember needing a knife recently outside of the kitchen. Are you sure you never will? Are you willing to abdicate your right to own and carry a knife, on the odd chance that you won’t need one someday? As a college professor, I once found myself and a group of students trapped inside a classroom with a malfunctioning doorknob. I was able to pry the door open using a sturdy knife I happened to have with me. I’m just a college professor. Who would have thought I would need a knife on the job? What if there had been a fire? That classroom was on on the second floor, by the way, so going out a window would not have been a safe option. Unfortunately there are many college campuses and other places where knives are prohibited. The people who impose such restrictions probably think they are making us all safer. I don’t feel safer! Supporters of AKTI realize that there are more good reasons to promote knives than there are good reasons to prohibit them. AKTI needs your support to ensure that you will have access to a knife when YOU need one.

David Rock

P.S. You have my permission to use the above on your website or other promotional materials.

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 03-15-2000).]

I am a newcomer to the forum, but I have had an interest in knives since I was a kid. You have my permission to post this on your web site. Here's why someone should join AKTI

I've learned to respect knives and harness their usefulness; anything from minor repairs to just cleaning my nails. Most of the information concerning knives I get from going to Gun & knife shows (here in Austin they come once a month), from magazines or from a friend who loves knives as much as I do. So I think people who appreciate knives should join AKTI to better their knowledge about them. Whether you want to make your own knife, find out specs about certain knives, laws on which type of knife you can carry (legally), or even finding an old vintage knife you saw when you were a kid; the possibilities are endless. That should be the main reason for someone to have access to the internet is to educate themselves, and if you want to learn about knives this is the place to be. Gilbert Medina

I'm sure that you have gotten every possible reason to encourage a person to become a member of AKTI, but let me tell you mine.
Let me get the baggage out of the way, I'm a law enforcement officer and I can legally own automatic knives and I do. I own more knives than I care to count. Everything from Swiss Army givaways to "custon" knives by several makers including a hand made Bill Bagwell Traditional Bowie which I carry quite often. I carry at least one knife where ever I go.

I believe from the begining of time that the knife was the most important tool of survival. Today more so than ever in these urban jungles we live in. AKTI makes it possible for me to keep up with what knives I can carry in different jurisdictions where it is not possible to carry a firearm, besides, I would rather carry my Bagwell Bowie concealed than a firearm in most cases. Having AKTI keep up this information for me keeps me from breaking laws because in my state you need a CCW Permit to carry a concealed Bowie by state law. Also the knife is a basic tool, and as the name implies (AKTI) it allows us to keep up with the latest and greatest tools of urban survival. Not a long list of reasons, but the best I know of.

------------------
Always carry a bigger knife than you need!

What ever happened to common sense? I find myself asking this question more and more these days as ignorance and irrational fears lead to stricter knife laws.

Having grown up in a small rural town, I enjoyed a world where substance takes precedence over image--a world governed by common sense. There, people do not become hysterical at the sight of a blade. Knives are tools, plain and simple. The townsfolk use them daily and somehow manage to avoid the constant eruptions of violence some political lobbyists would suggest as inevitable in a community where knives are commonplace.

Perhaps safety prevails because the majority of people in my home town understand the responsibility that comes with using or carrying a knife, and they teach it to their children. I vividly recall receiving my first pocket knife--a tiny, two-bladed Boker. My father showed me how to open and close it safely. How to sharpen and oil the blade. How to behave when the blade was open. How to cut so that I didn't harm myself or others. I still own that little pen knife, and I've acquired dozens more in the past twenty or so years. But no matter how much time has elapsed, those early lessons are still deeply ingrained, and I will pass them on to my children. Too many kids, however, don't have the benefit of this kind of "common sense" instruction. Education needs to expand beyond the families who already transmit knowledge about the significance of knives and their safe use. For every child who learns to respect knives, dozens of others fail to realize the vast privilege and duty inherent in knife ownership.

The American Knife and Tool Institute (AKTI) is actively engaged in correcting this imbalance. Their credo, "Educate, Promote, Inform," underscores their mission of teaching young and old alike about the history, production, and use of blades. AKTI supports educational programs which not only lead to safer knife owners but also increase public awareness of the tradition and importance of knives in our everyday lives. Sal Glesser, founder of Spyderco, is fond of saying, "All God's critters have knives." True, but most of those critters naturally know how to utilize them. Humans, however, have to be taught, and AKTI is already making great strides in this direction. Thus, by supporting AKTI, you help guarantee the future of responsible knife usage in our country.

In order to maintain our rights to carry and use knives, we must also work diligently to educate our representatives at the local, state, and national levels. Too much knife legislation nowadays goes against common sense. Ill-devised knife laws seem intent on eroding the basic rights that many of us take for granted. AKTI is the best watchdog you can have on your side in this respect. AKTI offers legislative updates and keeps an eye out for laws that are unfair or poorly conceived. To be a responsible citizen is to be an informed citizen, and if you carry or use knives, you should get the facts on current laws and potential laws that affect you. Only then can you convey your approval or dissatisfaction to your elected representatives.

What ever happened to common sense? Well, after doing my homework, I find that it is at least alive and well among AKTI leaders and members. These people understand the significance knives hold in our country. They seek to protect the traditions of knife ownership and use. They recognize knives as powerful tools that require skill and responsibility, and they seek to spread this knowledge in an enthusiastic manner. If you care about knives, you care about AKTI, and you should lend this organization your support. As a new member, I'm proud to be associated with AKTI. You could be too.

Jason, a.k.a. "Guyon"
New AKTI Member
Nashville, Tennessee

[This message has been edited by Guyon (edited 03-31-2000).]

I almost forgot...

Jan, you can use anything from my post that you like on your website.

Thanks to Jan, Sal, and CJ for holding this contest. It led to my discovery of AKTI, and after reading about all the good things associated with the organization, I signed up over the phone this morning. I'm glad to be a new member.

[This message has been edited by Guyon (edited 03-31-2000).]

When we join AKTI it is not for ourselves but rather for the future generation of Americans, our children and grandchildren so they might know the joy that we experience when we whittle on a stick in the backyard, or use a knife to trim the sprues on a model airplane kit. It is not enough to say that we support knife and tool rights, but we must build a community-based group that is willing to work for those rights that we take for granted. Those rights are under attack by those who would condemn all knives as deadly weapons. Those who argue that there is no need for a person to carry a knife. This is about preserving the freedoms that we now have that are in jeopardy. How then can we start? Begin by joining the AKTI. Then tell a friend about what you have done and why. We have the ability to shape the future for our heirs. Let us start today. Thank you. Dave Jung
Tacoma, WA
New AKTI member #1026
O.K. for any use by AKTI including publication.

AKTI membership means so much to me. First and above all, it is an exercise of a basic freedom that many gave their lives for, honoring their sacrifices and those of their families, helping to ensure that freedom continues to thrive. Who else is putting dedicated effort into protecting OUR rights to make, own, carry, and use knives?

What comes to mind when you imagine someone with a knife strapped to their belt? For many it is a movie where the knife was a weapon. With this occurring over and over again, "knife = violent intent" is almost assured of becoming ingrained in people's beliefs. AKTI might be the only effective means to generate grass roots education that has a chance to overcome this. As long as "knife = violent intent", our rights will continue to erode.

What we should really ask is not why to join AKTI, but why NOT TO JOIN. For me, that question has only one possible answer. It is time to not join AKTI when a person can openly wear any knife of choice, anywhere, without fear of persecution, prosecution, or having to explain themselves. Until then, reasons for joining will continue to grow - or become useless thoughts when we lose our rights. Until then, do you have a reason to not join?

Ray
AKTI Member #A000831
Knoxville, TN

Permission granted to AKTI to use my post at it's descretion.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 03-31-2000).]

Why Join AKTI? Why Indeed. I suppose the most basic answer is to protect our rights to own/use and carry knives. But then I am led to another question "Why is it so important to own/use and carry knives?" After all this isn't the "Old West" we aren't shoeing horses and skinning deer. But the knife as a tool is the most primary of tools. Unlike other things that we more commonly consider tools, ie. hammers, saws, screwdrivers, the knife can be used in order to make these tools or take the place of any or all of these tools. Specifically if you have a knife other tools that you also need can be easily made. One question to ask yourself is if you could only carry one tool in your vehicle what would it be, hopefully a knife. It is the ultimate in multi-tools.
It is probably also the most used utensil in the kitchen. To me the knife is just an extension of the hand. Those rights to own a knife need to be protected.

Thanks
Eric
just in case, anything I said can be used.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!!! Sal, CJ and I will be reviewing them - and sending you notes about the prizes.

Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

Back