AKTI membership?

My membership is paid by part of my Knifemakers' Guild dues. But, you can durn bet, I would join anyway. There is a thread on collectiing "Butter Knives" just starting in the Custom Knife Forum.

If we don't stop the anti-knife groups, that might be all that is legal.

------------------
A.T.
http://www.customknives.com
If you make, sell, or just love knives and want a website with your name
customknives.com/your.name, AND a links page for $70.00 a year? Check out
http://www.customknives.com/webdesign
AKTI #476

I am proud to be a member.

I would like to find a way to increase membership and participation in this Forum but I don't have any ideas.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

I was VERY surprised to read in the recent Blade Magazine survey that such a small percentage of us a members of the AKTI. This forum (BladeForum.com) boasts its membership numbers (currently at 10010). How about getting serious about this? I would like to challenge the forum to encourage AKTI membership by requiring AKTI membership as a condition of signing up for the forum. If you are a AKTI member, then your forum membership is free. If you are not an AKTI member, forum membership cost you $35/year (which the forum will then donate to AKTI).
Current forum members will be given, lets say, 6 weeks to join the AKTI or pay up for furture benefit of forum use.
Like I said, I am challening the forum...lets see if they arer willing to put their money where their mouth is!
Gary
AKTI #86

------------------
I am a lucky person, and the harder I work at it, the luckier I am.
AKTI #ABA086

Gary-I have to respectfully disagree with your approach to increasing AKTI membership. This forum may be someone`s ONLY contact with the AKTI and charging to people to use the forum would only keep away potential members and drive forum traffic way down. You can`t force people to join.

Neither can you pressure people into joining by questioning their motives for not joining. I`m refering to your post in the sales forum where you suggest those who don`t join may be too "lazy, cheap, what ever" to join and are "willing to ride on the shirt tails of others". That sort of "challenge" is more off-putting than inspiring.

I`d suggest you tell us why we should join. What does this organization do for me, the knife buyer/carrier/user. Why do they need me, why do I need them?

You`d catch more flies with honey.......

You know Gary he is right. Not the way to get members. Alot of us do buy from the forum sponsers to help keep it going. I spent 300 bucks with One Stop last month alone. I also have made many orders with them and other sponsers. Tell us what AKTI does. Ed

A lot of AKTI's activities occur quietly in the background.

For example it wasn't until weeks after the fact that we learned of AKTI's activity in the CRKT/Customs fiasco.

I would strongly encourage members of this forum to join the AKTI and to help shape the direction that this young organization is taking.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

After reading an editorial in one of the knife mags, have been thinking about joining AKTI. Though I didn't care for the tone of the two "challenges" in the other forums today, decided to jaunt over here and see what was going on and what I could learn about AKTI.

Reading here the "full scope" of the "challenge" I have to admit that the first requirement for my ever joining would be either the muzzling or removal of Mr. Bienvenue from the membership of the organization. I don't want to be joined with him in any fashion, but would be willing to let him remain if he kept quiet and didn't try to help determine the direction the organization takes in future.

The response to the question about what AKTI does was not very helpful for me. Have to say that am not anxious to link up with an outfit that keeps it's members so much in the dark that all they can tell you about their organization is that it works behind the scenes, and doesn't even let the members know what its been doing until weeks afterward.

I suggest that somehow a clear explanation of what it is AKTI does, as well as a clear explanation as to the role of individual members, should always be in a current thread, so that the curious can obtain information about the organization and make informed choices about whether they want to pony up the bucks and become a part of it. There is nothing on the forum right now that gives any hint of what AKTI does. All I found were questions without answers, something about being reduced to collecting butter knives, a apparent plea for AKTI to get involved and make sure street vendors are allowed can keep selling POS knives to kids in a city where there is an ordinance against minors buying knives, in addition to the totalitarian challenge to coerce everyone who belongs to Blade Forums to pay some money that gets to AKTI one way or another. I keep thinking this is America, but then again, haven't been in my right mind for a few years.

I depart totally disinclined to join AKTI after all. I will check back occasionally to see if there is something worthwhile to find here.

Bugs

(
redface.gif
Sorry, but I just can't be as tactful as others when I encounter such nonsense. I'll try to work on it
redface.gif
)

Bugs and others,

I would encourage you to go to the AKTI Website (http://www.akti.org/) for information on what AKTI stands for and what it is doing.

Unfortunately this forum is not always the best source of information on AKTI's activities.

Just because the information is not on this forum does not mean it is not available.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

SDouglas -- Thanks for the response. I'm sure I could have found the URL, but thanks for it. I used it and spent some time on the AKTI website. I'll go back, cause there's more I'm interested in.

I'm not too much of a joiner. Seriously. Left the Cub Scouts after 2 years because I thought the meetings were stupid. Left the Marine Corps when my first tour was up. For awhile participated in a local, kind of unofficial network of people/resources regarding spousal and sexual abuse. Left that when I left my job as Parole Officer. That's it. The entire history of my group participation.

While off the top I can support the goals/mission of AKTI, must admit that I'm not at all impressed by the membership structure. I have trouble stomaching the fact that it costs $2K per year before one has a vote as to what happens in the organization. Appears strongly to me that the major manufacturers are determined to totally control what the organization does. And, that -- not unexpectedly, nor critically -- makes it obvious (to me) that money is the foundation of the formation of AKTI and it's purposes.

I am pretty much a recluse because of health problems. Coupled with my reluctance to participate in groups much, it seems highly unlikely that I could participate in process of educating school kids and civic organizations about knives, tho I believe that if anything will ultimately change the future of knife ownership it is making as many of "them" one of "us" as possible.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy any rants like lose one right and we've lost them all. I just can't believe in any evil-minded cabal determined to remove cutting instruments from all American hands/kitchens, whatever. I am a great believer in twits. I also firmly believe that a great many politicians, especially those toward either end of the spectrum, are twits.

The section on success stories was pretty small. Two items. One of those was handled alone by one knife manufacturer. It appears that a bit of education of 4 twits stopped the problem. I'm pleased to see that AKTI was successful in their efforts in California, in the recent almost goofy legislation. I'd sure like to know though, what participation/effort was made my individuals in California, whether knifeknuts or not. I have a little trouble believing AKTI is entitled to sole ownership of the credit for the changes. Seems to me I've read several times that the Buck Knife Co. was the primary mover in that fight. (Yes, I saw that Chuck Buck is a regent.)

Anyhow, to round all this up, I won't be joining AKTI at present. I'll keep an eye on their site and efforts. I'll look especially for news of individuals making efforts like that of Bruce from BE knives. Only knifemaker by name credited with doing something of the sort. And, unfortunately, that was listed to one presentation to one 2nd Grade class. I'd think that the Knifemakers Guild should be able to produce more evidence of their efforts and effectiveness. But, sounds like most only throw their money to the organization and don't take any personal responsibility for the outcome of the mission.

I must admit that the need to wait 2 days before anyone responded to my post, makes me think that AKTI really has its work cut out for it, in terms of getting forumites to join.

I apologize for the ranting tone of my first post in this thread. Mr. Bienvenue pushed at least a couple of my major buttons, and I wrote in the heat of that moment. On the other hand, I appreciate your candor and helpfulness.

Bugs

Well, I have put my money where my mouth is and am a proud new member of the AKTI. I sure hope that others will join as well. We have around 10,000 members of BladeForums. If more members would join it would sure help the AKTI to protect the rights of knife users.

------------------
Keith

AKTI Member #A001338

I joined AKTI as soon as I was made aware of its existence. It's a young organization; I'll keep my eye on them to see how my "dues" are spent. As for charging a forum membership "fee" for non-AKTI members...well, that might get the same response as asking them to pay $9.95 A YEAR to host photos.
wink.gif

------------------
Holger :c{{{<
AKTI Member No: A001324
-----------------------
www.cockroachfarm.com

Steven Dick, in his editorial in the July TK, certainly cast AKTI in a good light. He provided as many specifics on AKTI's operations than their own website does. Am going to have to go back and review Blade mags efforts in that area.

I do agree with Dicks that the state of California is important. I believe it correctly is perceived as a "leader" in policial movements, and is often followed by sheeple states.

So, an leaning closer towards joining. Really disappointing is the amount of participation in this thread, especially in this forum. I kept coming back to see what developed for a couple weeks, but because of no posts at all, eventually nearly forgot about it.

I'll continue to look around for information on AKTI. I think that is their primary problem, is that they don't let many know what they do or are doing.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Back