Al Mar Knives blast from the past...

My first "good" auto, purchased around 20 years ago. I had no clue who Al Mar, Crawford, or Worden were, but I liked the knife...

GTpBUWQ.jpg

4 inch, partially serrated, chisel ground blade with a lightening fast opening...
0sspAvV.jpg

This knife led me to the iconic sere 2k...
hLamcGH.jpg

One of my first good "tactical" folders...survive, evade, resist, escape!
D6I7D4I.jpg

Qykqyu8.jpg

Sold off an original sere, and still regret it to this day...

Kelly Worden is (or perhaps was) a martial artist and military trainer. Pat Crawford is a knifemaker out of Arkansas, who made the custom version or the Wor-Tac. Pretty sure you know who Al Mar was.

Kelly Worden is (or perhaps was) a martial artist and military trainer. Pat Crawford is a knifemaker out of Arkansas, who made the custom version or the Wor-Tac. Pretty sure you know who Al Mar was.
Right you are sir, I have since bought and sold a few Crawford's, but was completely ignorant 20 years ago!

Nice knives. Never owned an Al Mar, met him once at a Guild show. I think the Shiva is the best Al Mar knife, personally, just never got around to one...

That looks almost like an Emerson Commander.

I believe almost everyone here (and even those who are not members here) that have been collecting or even buying knives at that kind of level wish we would’ve or could’ve held onto some of the original blades that brought us into the hobby.

Al Mar was the man when it came to knives back in the 80's. Wish I'd kept my original SERE! Have a sere 2000 modded to double action auto by the man, Butch Vallotin!! I'd like to get a shrike and a nomad and hell gimme a payara too while I'm dreaming.The Shiva was one of the prettiest fixed blades. VG10 was a top steel 20+ years ago and still is a good performer. No complaints about it from me!!IMG_20200213_111616.jpg

I have a SERE 2000, mini and Nomad all great knives.

Has anyone tried any of the new models made in China?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 14
Awesome blades guys. Everything I have ever heard about Al Mar said that he was one of the nicest, most genuine guys in the business.

I almost NEVER sell my.knives, but in 2004 when my first kid was born, I sold off a bunch. My original Sere lockback, and my sere 2k Valottin d/a were two that I let go...stupid.

I don’t have to tell most of you I’m a big fan.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Man! I was about to tag you on this thread! It was because of your SERE 2000, pictured above, and the great post you wrote about it, that I finally pulled the trigger on one. I don’t regret it! I love your blade: it bears the imprint of many years of use. :):thumbsup:

Man! I was about to tag you on this thread! It was because of your SERE 2000, pictured above, and the great post you wrote about it, that I finally pulled the trigger on one. I don’t regret it! I love your blade: it bears the imprint of many years of use. :):thumbsup:

Awww shucks, brother. :) I’m glad you liked the photos and story of mine enough to get one of your own. Most importantly, I’m glad you enjoy yours!

Yes sir, mine has been through hell and back for 20 years. By far my most trusted folder I’ve ever owned. She’s semi-retired now, but I do still carry her every few months.

She’s still fully capable, but I’m trying to preserve what’s left of the blade. My son has always said when he pictures “Daddy’s knife”, it’s my beloved Sere 2K. I want him to be able to enjoy her too. :thumbsup:

You have a beauty

I love the old Al Mar knives. Some of the best production knives ever made IMHO

I also sold off a bunch when I needed $ for the kids but I’m glad I held on to a few

Back