Al Mar Knives (new stuff)

I talked on the phone with Al Mar Knives a couple days ago, they told me to expect some new things in the future, apparently there is going to be a new version of the Shrike and they said to expect new materials in the near future including titanium and carbon fiber.

Ide love an eagle ultralight in carbon fiber! Maybe with a better steel

I think an Al Mar Eagle LW in Carbon Fiber would be AWESOME! Also for those of us who have used Al Mar's VG10/AUS8 you know the heat treat is amazing! I would just prefer if they stay with these proven steels, I don't think all these modern powdered steels are really necessary for my type of use/sharpening.

I'd really like to see more micarta options for the Eagle and Falcon lw. Green and/or burgandy linen come to mind...

A short run of Shadows in new handle materials would be disastrous to my much needed income. I'd buy two.

I've always wondered what the big deal is with the Al Mar Sere 2k is. Just seems high priced for VG-10. Is it heritage or something like that?

Sent via pony express

I really liked my SERE. It was probably the second quality knife I purchased. Just something about it that hit me the right way. I sold it but I often think about buying another.
I like Al Mars in general. Good designs. Some new offerings would be great. I will definitely keep an eye out.

He Sere is in my top 5 EDCs. I got it for a lot cheaper on the secondary market, though.

I find it odd that the 3.6" version weighs 6 oz (can that be true?) and the 3" only 3.57. If they come out with a particle steel version, I may consider the mini when I'm able to work again, in a year or so.

Sent via pony express

I find it odd that the 3.6" version weighs 6 oz (can that be true?) and the 3" only 3.57. If they come out with a particle steel version, I may consider the mini when I'm able to work again, in a year or so.

Sent via pony express
I can't speak to the difference in weight between the larger and smaller versions, but I can say that I had the 3.5 and it was heavy. Tbh that was one of the reasons I liked it. It's the sort of knife that reminds you it's in your pocket.

My current sere 2k was modded to double action by VALLOTIN. I've had numerous seres over the years and all are/were perfect examples. Fit n finish on every one I've had has been impressive. The grinds, bevels, champhers were perfect. One of the biggest gripes I hear is about the steels used, but the makers have had the heat treats nailed and have been for yrs. Most people who have an Al Mar knife, any model, are impressed with them. Got my first one in/around 1988-89 and have had at least one of their knives in edc rotation since.

I'd definitely like to see what they come out with.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a Falcon HD and the Eagle HD with CF scales, and the standard, rather than Talon, blade profile, as it would make the knife a more useful slicer. I'm fine with the AUS-8 blade steel.

Come to think of it, how about some CF scales on the Nomad?

I'm excited to see what they put out in the next year! Really curious what's going to be different about the Shrike 2. Btw if you want an original strike with G10 you better pick one up fast because they are discontinued!

Back