1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Albers Cutlery Company

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Travman, Sep 20, 2020.

1. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks for the comparisons and pics. I didn't know that the second run of Red Trouts had half stops either. I haven't made up my mind on half-stops. I used to be an advocate, but I think I'm changing my mind. Certainly not a deal breaker. I've signed up for the newsletter. I'm not in a hurry, but I'm sure I'll be buying one of these eventually. Right now I'm content to live vicariously :)

mrknife likes this.
  2. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Same for me. I checked out his website after seeing that it went live here. I had intended to wait to get one until later, but when I saw the ironwood, I couldn't help myself.

7east, mrknife, Laurelbb and 2 others like this.
  3. bladecollectorr

bladecollectorr

Oct 7, 2017
    Eric, you've been posting invaluable info for us Schrade collectors for many years. I wish you much success with your nominate line of knives. The pinned shields are a functional and nostalgic touch. The fit and finish looks great.

I subscribed to your newsletter and would very much like to own any ivory handled knife you created. Hopefully that can happen somewhere down the line.

4. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    Wow. I missed this thread starting.

I have to say, beautiful knives posted here, and best wishes to Eric - you're doing wonderful work.

I've been able to find the closed length, but unless I've missed it I can't find blade length. Can anyone give me an idea what the blade length is, bolster to tip?

5. ea42

ea42 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2006
    Hey folks! Thanks for the kind words! Quick rundown on some of these questions:

These knives are a brand new design, there's no relationship between them and the Red Trouts or Canal Streets except for the length.

Blade length from tip of bolster should fall between 2 9/16" and 2 5/8". You'll see some slight variation due to individual blade finishing.

Eric

Travman, mbkr, Ernie1980 and 14 others like this.
  6. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    My knife came dull and I am struggling to put any kind of edge on it with my Spyderco CBN rods. It's like I can't get the steel to form an apex for some reason. Of course, being terrible at sharpening doesn't help.

Any advice before I take my Worksharp to it?

mrknife likes this.
  7. JITDC

JITDC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I love the look of these especially Desert Ironwood! Can't wait to see more and hopefully get my hands on one.

Scott J. and mrknife like this.
  8. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Thought it might be time to bring this thread up with a pic of the family. :)

[​IMG]

9. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Only one of these is an Albers, but they're all Eric's (@ea42 ) handiwork. I was fortunate to add these three to my collection this year ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  10. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    I know we are not supposed to have favorite family members,:rolleyes:, but what is your fav out of that fine lot?;)

GE Jr, Archie and knifethetank like this.
  11. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Interesting jigging on that Red Trout. What was that called?

Laurelbb likes this.
  12. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    They called it Basket Weave Jigging. I think there were two of them made. It's really quite intricate, I can only imagine how much effort went into doing it. Besides being very cool looking (IMHO) it's super grippy as well.

Laurelbb, GE Jr and mbkr like this.
  13. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I’d have a hard time picking the best looking one for sure, but the jigged bone was from the first run. So yeah - that one. :D

14. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. I can see your dilemma, but the jigged bone does ooze class.:)

GE Jr likes this.
  15. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    She's a pretty one
    [​IMG]

16. DiscoChickens

DiscoChickens Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Eric, you are making some beautiful stuff. I would love to own one, interested to hear when your next run is complete!

Laurelbb and JITDC like this.
  17. DavidABQ

DavidABQ

Jul 31, 2017
    You and me both. I signed up for the newsletter in the hope that I can score one of his knives before they are sold out. You may want to consider signing up for his news letter too.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    DiscoChickens likes this.
  18. JITDC

JITDC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I did as well. Looking forward to what comes next!

19. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    One I enjoy showing. It was just before Eric started these batches/runs, but is indeed made by him, by hand. I don’t think there are too many more out there like it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

63EC4C36-7798-4551-B0E1-361402344055.jpeg C01F40E4-D953-4416-9459-89CED60BD156.jpeg FBD182B4-71A9-48DF-84B3-0C4C61DE65EA.jpeg ACE79D49-B996-4347-84E8-1F98AF07655D.jpeg

redsparrow, Laurelbb, TOM K. and 14 others like this.
  20. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    So @waverave loaned me his Ironwood from this first run. It's extremely beautiful!
    I have a question: Are these shields pinned? I couldn't see any pin showing through in the liner. I did mention in the video that it could be pinned some way I'm unfamiliar with, but I definitely didn't see any pin through the liner.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    waverave, Jody744 and Spaten like this.