Alcyone...Pretty Impressed

A small preface:
1) I think BD1 in general is a pretty under rated blade steel for under $100
2) I don’t like the S__V steels except S110V
4) Every Comp lock Ive owned has made me feel like I was going to lose a finger tip.
3) I’m not sure how to pronounce Alcyone

Recently bought an Alcyone on impulse, paid MAP ($62) and I have to say I’m surprised by its seeming lack of popularity. It has a much high feel of build quality and definitely upgraded steel (and American) over the rest of the China made models. The grey weave G10 looks cool in person and has a good texture, tolerances are tight and the ergonomics for a circa 3” blade are right where they should be.

I’m refining my collection a bit to only really have one knife per category, this is going to fit the “small edc mid price” box for me. I’ll probably EDC it the next few days now that the action is broken in.

I own a Tenacious, and like it, but for only $15 more these (Polestar/Alcyone) seem like a major improvement.

Just my thoughts.

Thanx John,

I'm with you. I worked on the designs for a really long time (over a year) and dept refining until I was satisfied. Eric predicted they would not sell well because of the price difference required by the US steel. He said that people that buy budget knives are very price conscious ad they wouldn't spend the extra $. I'm considering a USA made lock-back version.

sal

Thanks for the review. This has been on "need to try one" list for a while. It very much looks like an under-rated knife. It seems compelling and great lower cost option the other < 3" options (Para 3, Sage, Delica, Chaparral, Native). Since I own most of those I have't had a compelling reason to try this, but I still wan to. :)

Sal, a U.S. made version would certainly get my attention.

Thanx John,

I'm with you. I worked on the designs for a really long time (over a year) and dept refining until I was satisfied. Eric predicted they would not sell well because of the price difference required by the US steel. He said that people that buy budget knives are very price conscious ad they wouldn't spend the extra $. I'm considering a USA made lock-back version.

sal

Hi Sal,

First off nice job on these (and everything!), I think a US version would sell, so I take it the steel would probably step up another notch also? To that end, is BD1N coming to these and/or the Manix LW family soon?

I feel like $100 is really the cap on what I’m willing to spend on a BD1 Spyderco, I understand that BD1N is a completely different animal.

Also, please switch to a 14mm hole!

I haven’t had a chance to see one of these in person but on paper it definitely looks next level. Seems to be worth the extra $. I’ll take BD1 all day for my, so called, low end steel.
Good move, needs more hype. Seems like everyone is focused on high-end right now.

Also, please switch to a 14mm hole!

Funny you would notice. The knife was designed with a larger hole. The prototype was made with a larger hole, and then production came in with the smaller hole. One of the downsides of dealing with vendors that think they know better what I want than I do. Once we received production, there wasn't much to do. I enlarged the hole on mine, but it is challenging and dangerous. Then when sales were slow., it didn't pay to pursue. I still haven't decided what to do with the design.

sal

That is hysterical, but not in a funny way. Sorry they screwed up your design.

I think it would do well if it replaced the Tenacious. Eric has a point with budget conscious buyers, they would most likely choose the cheaper option despite the better steel. But if the Polestar/Alcyone became the new budget line, I think frugal customers would still go for them regardless of the small price difference because that's their only option.

I enjoyed using and carrying my Tenacious but I found myself carrying different models (Manix, 'Chef, fixed blades) more often. I did almost jump on a Polestar that was priced like a Tenacious in the exchange though.

Hi Liferung,

We can't make the Polestar for the cost of the Tenacious because of the cost of the US steel in China. The maker that makes the Polestar doesn't want to work with 8Cr. It would be impractical to disco the Tenacious as it is very popular and the maker has production down.

sal

I like it how it is ... Too bad the market doesnt. I really love the design and the steel is so easy to sharpen.

Great insights Sal. It's a very nice looking knife, very Sage 1ish. Will be interesting to see If you resurrect it in some way.

I wrote a review of the Alcyone for NemoKnivesReview You can read it here. What do you think?

45746797941_9ae2fa4908_z.jpg

Just picked one of these up and I love it. I don’t care for larger folders and this fits the bill for a midsized edc.

Back