• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Alexander Dietz - worst customer service ever. Still don't have my knife 5 months

Not that it's any consolation to the members here waiting for their items but he's now banned.

anyone able to reach him on the phone?

I lost his address. Could you please post it. I have a friend in Washington.

Just spoke to him on the phone. He called me back. He seems honest and that he is not giving excuses. He promised a due date in 15 days which is Aug 18th as an absolute final due date for me.
At this point I don't know what to expect. I don't know him personally and don't know if he is honest yet. He sure wasn't with his other due dates. If he comes through it may be he is just terrible (AWFUL) at managing his time and his promises.

I ordered one of his flippers when he posted a few spots for sale back on november 19 2013. He promised a 4-7 month wait or less… I finally emailed him on 7-25-2014 asking if he had an eta, and was told he was lacking on that, and was going to start a run very soon. I was initially told i was #5, but who knows.

Alex emailed me today and told me that he was behind and that i was looking at 4+ weeks more of a wait and he apologized for being behind. I know to some people they would still be mad at the wait but to me i just wanted to know what was up and get an apology so im ok with the wait

This guy really needs to handle his s%*t a little better.

Hope everyone gets their knives pimped or returned, and their money back.

I sent my emersons to him because I didnt have $1500 to buy a custom one but by now I could have had the money saved

Just spoke to him on the phone. He called me back. He seems honest and that he is not giving excuses. He promised a due date in 15 days which is Aug 18th as an absolute final due date for me.
At this point I don't know what to expect. I don't know him personally and don't know if he is honest yet. He sure wasn't with his other due dates. If he comes through it may be he is just terrible (AWFUL) at managing his time and his promises.
Any update worth sharing? I'm guessing if you had received something you would have posted sooner.

Any progress with the FTC and BBB? I sent/paid over a year ago now, this is bullshit. Something tells me he's been blowing our hard earned money on toys and trips instead of doing his job, so I bet he can't refund us. On one hand, I feel bad for the guy, I know what it's like to fall behind. But lying (constantly) is ridiculous.

I know he is holding open bid auctions for his folders on Instagram.

Unfortunately the buyers, probably don't know that when their $1000 folder (way over priced btw) has issues, he will be nowhere to be found.

Hope you guys get this resolved. Also I'm surprised people still send money before the knife is made.

Nick

I just blasted him on IG. I can't believe this guy has the balls to be doing auctions on IG. I also reported him to. IG for scamming

Dietzknives . We should all blast him. He doesn't mind posting auctions but won't finish peoples order or refund. Shameless, people need to know.

Unfortunately the problem with IG is there will always be people who aren't as involved in the community as us, which will keep makers who do stuff like this going. During the epic Paulo Balzano meltdown recently there were people standing by him until the very end because they were ignorant of the facts. He's got nearly 5,000 followers, it's very difficult to get a large group of people like that to understand the situation without looking like a singular nutjob who is blowing up his posts.

I hear you. Still, if by publicly shaming him helps save a couple people from getting scammed its worth it. I can't believe he has the balls to auction one of his knives when people paid for it and he won't send them their order.

Maybe a public IG page with the truth would be useful, the comments could not be deleted. ;)
Just a thought.

I hear you. Still, if by publicly shaming him helps save a couple people from getting scammed its worth it. I can't believe he has the balls to auction one of his knives when people paid for it and he won't send them their order.

This is certainly not the first time, he's been working on his own knives for a while now (and has auctioned them via IG), amongst other things. Let me just say that he apparently lives quite the life for a self employed 24 year old with admittedly pretty serious martial issues if you judge by his IG which is full of expensive customs and hanging out with friends.

I fear the rise of the "Instagram Knife Maker" is going to usher in a bleak era for custom knives. Unlike those with some credibility who are on here or the USN, the IG Knifemaker has no accountability. They do no risk anything because they do not have forum costs to fear losing or moderators to answer to. Unless they do something entirely illegal to a large number of people, they're safe. The 45 day paypal window is the easiest thing for them to work around. And they can always claim that they're "two weeks out" on it. No one will question them, because they have total control over what appears on their IG posts, and will certainly garner legions of fans who only see cool knives being made and have no concept of the business that should be functioning in the background. IG doesn't have someone like RevDevil who works tirelessly to ensure ethical business practices are in effect.

Why would they want to come here instead of conducting their business through social media, where they can operate without prejudice? They can reap 100% of their profits, and have no one to answer to but themselves. That's why people like Alex Dietz, Will Moon, and Andre DeVilliers (just to name three makers who have had issues lately) could care less about being banned from this place. Truly, that is sad.

A popular knife pimper who is looking to move into making his own knives made a post the other day asking if people were interested in his first ever run of folders, which would have to be paid entirely in advance. All I could think was "oh god, here we go again"...

It has worked guys. Alex deleted all of his post and you can't find him searching.

Great points Misinthropa. I totally agree.

I'm still going to try and publicly shame these guys though. I was scammed by will moon and am still pissed about it.

Last edited:
Back