All about Bucklites and Selector's & 110's & 112's LTs and Slims ...

Who else has some Bucklites to share... I got a new one the other day...
But it won't stop raining long enough for I can take some pictures...
Maybe today...

:)

Rolf, still looking for Bucklites just need a few more... right...
I have over 50 of them well I'm sure more most are different...
I need 3 of each... I don't see it... But I keep trying...
How are doing... Good to see you over in the Buck forum...
Do you have any Pictures to share of your orange 422...

ITE

I just spent most of the afternoon and evening feeling REALLY LITE! I wish I had chased 422 when I started collecting 112's. ..In 2008 folks could get them for less than $20.00 NIB even 426's. What a awesome thread Armand! What surprised me the most was seeing the samples and double stamped blades. ITE can you tell us the story of the clear and translucent colored handles? Since no regular issue has been made using them whats the back story? I do have a better appreciation for the 'common man ' Bucks.

I just spent most of the afternoon and evening feeling REALLY LITE! I wish I had chased 422 when I started collecting 112's. ..In 2008 folks could get them for less than $20.00 NIB even 426's. What a awesome thread Armand! What surprised me the most was seeing the samples and double stamped blades. ITE can you tell us the story of the clear and translucent colored handles? Since no regular issue has been made using them whats the back story? I do have a better appreciation for the 'common man ' Bucks.

Thanks Clint, I asked Joe Houser why the Clear Handle Bucklites never
went into production... I also asked him if they ever made a Clear
Handle Selector... I've been looking for one... Anyway he said...

This is from Joe Houser:

The clear and translucent colors never went into production
because the material was not reliable enough.
They made a bunch of samples, but found out that yes,
the handles cracked around the rivet holes.
Unfortunately, we never made a clear Selector.
I would have liked to see that myself!

Joe Houser

Here's a 422 Brush Creek Gold Pilot VA Bucklite...
It came with the Box Sheath and paper work...

422 Brush Creek ....

Hello all, here is something cool to read, it's all about Bucklites... By Steve Sullivan a BCCI member... I'm sure some of you already have...
Steve sold all his Bucklites a few weeks ago on the bay in big lots... I'm sure some of you seen them on there... But he did keep about
4 or 5 of them... He had a nice collection of over 130 of them... I did buy a few of them before he put them on the bay...
Thanks to Steve (Skelator88)... Thanks again Steve... I sure hope you don't stop collecting... You sure could find some sweet knives...
You always had some beautiful knives to share on the SPS... Anyway have a look and post some pictures of some Bucklites... ITE...

Part 1...

The BuckLite: A Technical and Personal History

by Steve Sullivan

In 1971, GE Plastics introduced Valox™, a new polyester resin designed for making injection-molded plastic components. It combined excellent electrical properties, high strength due to low water absorption, and very good heat resistance. Valox™ immediately became widely used by manufacturers of everything from power plugs and electronic components to car parts and home appliances. Throughout the 1970s, companies used polybutylene terephthalate polymers like Valox™ because they allowed for easy molding of strong, lightweight, oddly-shaped components. In addition to an ability to withstand harsh chemicals, Valox™ also delivered very high color stability, which led to its widespread use in the making of consumer products. Until the invention of liquid crystal polymers for optical applications in the mid-1980s, Valox™ represented the state of the art in modern, space age, engineering-quality thermoplastics.

In the early 1980s, Buck engineers were looking for a new handle material that would allow them to achieve several important goals as the company's product line expanded. First, they needed a material that would allow for lighter weight knives. Second, this new material had to deliver the same strength and rugged durability for which Buck knives were already well known. Finally, it had to allow Buck designers a way to deliver new, modern-looking knives that could be delivered at lower price points, thus expanding the market. GE's Valox™ was the clear choice, and the BuckLite was born.

First introduced in 1984, the BuckLite family of knives started small, with just three models in two handle colors. The model 422 BuckLite was fashioned after the finger-grooved 112 Ranger and used the same modified clip style blade of that model. The handle surface of these first generation BuckLites featured a very small crosshatch pattern to improve grip, with the finger-grooved side and back edge left smooth. All of the first three models were available in a rich, dark, "chocolate bar brown" color and the 422 was also offered in olive drab. These new knives came standard with an entirely new sheath design to boot, essentially a canvas pouch with a belt loop sewn into the upper half and a Velcro closure at the top. The brown knives came standard with a tan and brown sheath, and the olive drab model 422 came with a green camouflage sheath. Both sold for $12.35, and sold quite well.

The model 424 BuckLite II was essentially a thermoplastic handle version of the 501 Esquire, and used the same size and style drop point blade. Overall length of the BuckLite II was 3.75 inches, just like the 501, but sold for seven dollars less. This made for an extremely light, affordable, and very compact folding knife, and extended the BuckLite family "down-market" just enough to address the needs of the penny pinchers or those simply looking for a little less blade to clang around in their pocket. The 424 is clearly the direct ancestor of the 425 MiniBuck, which was introduced in 1987, and this earlier model helped verify that a large market existed for very small and inexpensive blades.

Part 1...

The Bucklite 422 was advertised on P, 64 of the November, 1983, edition of Boys' Life magazine. https://books.google.com/books?id=t...q="boys' life" buck 412 OR 411 OR 422&f=false

Thomas,

I agree with you according to Bill Keys who worked for Buck Knives...
I didn't write the article... I waiting for more info... !983 is what I was
told a long time ago... Here's what Bill Keys said...

Of course, there were a myriad of colors used on the various models; the first ones being maroon handled and black handled 422's. They debuted in 1983, at least that's what the plaque on my wall says. The prototypes were built using strictly 112 and 110 components in hand shaped Micarta handles; the first ones not really intended to be new product prototypes. but being made "just because".

Bill Keys, Director Lean Manufacturing & Engineering
Buck Knives

I was thinking the same thing. :confused:

There has bend a couple of common Bucklites sell for over a hundred fifty bucks lately on the big auction site... Why I have no idea why... They were nothing special about them... There was actually a few of the same model and color selling for under fifty bucks... I could have bought a beautiful Custom Knife all metal and wood of course or horn for that price... I would sell my whole collection if someone wants to pay me that kind of crazy money... It's only plastic.. I could start collecting Bucklites all over for that kind of crazy money... I hope if my grandkids ever decide to sell my knives someday there's people like that that will buy them for they will make lots of money for College...

My lightly modified 484:
after4.jpg

I sanded the back side down flush where it meets the blade. This makes a big improvement on how it feels in the hand, and it looks more like the classic buck folders.

Honestly with this design change and some stainless (or titanium!) liners, I would consider it a near perfect edc.

Last edited:
I don't know too much about Bucklites, but I think I have a 2000 Bucklite 426. The only thing is that the blade is stamped 112. Can't seem to find any info on this combination doing some quick searches. Anyone run into one of these before?

I don't know too much about Bucklites, but I think I have a 2000 Bucklite 426. The only thing is that the blade is stamped 112. Can't seem to find any info on this combination doing some quick searches. Anyone run into one of these before?

Is it a 422 or a 426... A 426 with a 110 blade is common...
So is a 422 with a 112 blade and so is a 424 with a 501
blade... I think Buck ran out 426 blades and used some
110 blades or they accidentally grabbed the wrong blades...
That's the info I got from some Buck employees that I know...
or someone change the blade which is easy to do...
I'm sure someone else has some more info on this...
A 112 in a 426... That a small blade for that knife for sure...

I was recently gifted this Buck 283 NANO BANTAM. Not sure if these are considered BuckLite knives or are simply inexpensive knives made to sell as giveaways - glad it was given to me. OH

Buck_283_Nano_Bantam.JPG

Is it a 422 or a 426... A 426 with a 110 blade is common...
So is a 422 with a 112 blade and so is a 424 with a 501
blade... I think Buck ran out 426 blades and used some
110 blades or they accidentally grabbed the wrong blades...
That's the info I got from some Buck employees that I know...
or someone change the blade which is easy to do...
I'm sure someone else has some more info on this...
A 112 in a 426... That a small blade for that knife for sure...

I don't have the proper membership level to post a pic, or I would. Sorry. It has a 4-1/4" black handle that's squared off with finger grooves along the bottom edge. There are only two rivets -- one for the blade pivot, and one about half way back for the lock. Small lanyard hole at the end. I had a hard time determining which model it was since it has 112 stamped on the blade. Date code indicates 2000. Only other markings are "Buck" and "USA" on the blade, and "Bucklite" centered top to bottom in the handle under the lock. Exposed blade length is about 2-7/8" and about 3-1/4" if you measure from the pivot. Clip point from pretty heavy stock -- about 1/8" thick. Hopefully that helps to identify it.

It was a knife that I got as a gift from my old employer, and my go to knife at the time was one with a pocket clip. Didn't rotate my daily carry back then, so into the box of unused blades it went. Fast forward almost 16 years, and I just rediscovered it the other day. It's a pretty good looking knife, so I decided to do some digging to find out a bit more about it. Thanks for the help.

I don't have the proper membership level to post a pic, or I would. Sorry. It has a 4-1/4" black handle that's squared off with finger grooves along the bottom edge. There are only two rivets -- one for the blade pivot, and one about half way back for the lock. Small lanyard hole at the end. I had a hard time determining which model it was since it has 112 stamped on the blade. Date code indicates 2000. Only other markings are "Buck" and "USA" on the blade, and "Bucklite" centered top to bottom in the handle under the lock. Exposed blade length is about 2-7/8" and about 3-1/4" if you measure from the pivot. Clip point from pretty heavy stock -- about 1/8" thick. Hopefully that helps to identify it.

It was a knife that I got as a gift from my old employer, and my go to knife at the time was one with a pocket clip. Didn't rotate my daily carry back then, so into the box of unused blades it went. Fast forward almost 16 years, and I just rediscovered it the other day. It's a pretty good looking knife, so I decided to do some digging to find out a bit more about it. Thanks for the help.

I believe you can post pics.

Back