All around steel

However, independent knife makers sell their designs to companies like CRKT, Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw and so on. That would be an extremely obtainable starting block. Selling to collectors involves limited runs, and creating pieces that will never be used and that to me is a real shame. You might as well make chocolate teapots.

Last edited:
Another vote for 12c27. Stainless, durable, tuff, good edge, easy to sharpen, and low cost.

What are you using to sharpen that you have issues sharpening these steels? :confused:
I've been largely using regular silicon carbide paper from Canadian Tire or Home Depot on the back of an old university textbook I use as a flat surface, and haven't had any issues.

I don't think my silicon carbide paper on the back of an old book constitutes a fancy, high tech sharpening system out of reach of the common folk...

It is just my personal opinion but it is my belief that one should get a little knowledge, and a good tool, if they really want to get into knife sharpening. Most of my sharpening is on my wife's kitchen knives, a set of Victorinox Fibrox kitchen knives, and it pays big dividends! Here is a video I like that explains sharp edges and the Spyderco Sharpmaker which sharpens a bunch of different edged tools easily and quickly. I would suggest watching all four of the videos.

LC200N. Nearly rust proof, decent edge retention, very tough for stainless.

It is just my personal opinion but it is my belief that one should get a little knowledge, and a good tool, if they really want to get into knife sharpening. Most of my sharpening is on my wife's kitchen knives, a set of Victorinox Fibrox kitchen knives, and it pays big dividends! Here is a video I like that explains sharp edges and the Spyderco Sharpmaker which sharpens a bunch of different edged tools easily and quickly. I would suggest watching all four of the videos.

Sharpmaker is fine. Still have mine.
It came with the instructional video.
Grew up using the Lansky guided rod system in my dad's basement back in the day.

Sharpening went WAY faster when I ditched jigs/tools and went freehand.
Silicon carbide paper and a flat surface, or the Spyderco bench stone I also got.
Of course, I also destroyed a bunch of otherwise good knives freehand sharpening on worn out stones in my dad's basement during my teenage years...fun!

Now I can take a bar of steel and turn it into a knife, with it shaving hair and slicing tomatoes at the end of it all. :thumbsup:

I don't know what angle my knives are set at, and I don't care. ;)
I care that they are sharp and cut things!

The Sharpmaker still gets occasional use, and is handy for the few times my wife wants the kitchen knives sharper (she seems to prefer them rather dull a lot of the time :confused:).
Need to get new medium stones/rods for it as they are pretty worn down. Certain corners are not usable at all.

Back