All ASH-1 Variants - pics, please!

Busto, thank you very much for linking that post, which in turn links to soooooo many very cool links! Wow! There is cool stuff in there that I had no idea existed, and I thought I knew a good bit about old Busse esoterica - I guess, as I suspected somewhere deep inside I know nothing! But this'll sure help!

That post ought to be sticky'd!!!! Mods???!!!!
That post is actually in the "Sticky's" ya just gotta look around...;)

Here's my 2007 Special HOG Edition ASH-1, right after I stripped off the muddy coating (to reveal what appears to be double cut underneath):

v8YZu5a.jpg

Last edited:
Got to thinking about my beloved ASH-1's and variants. There is a nuked and serrated, frosted, thin scale middy out there in the world that I have to have some day. Anyway, here is my only variant but would love to see yours!
Well, I guess it's time for this old hog to take some photos - I have one in particular that you will like (as to which ASH1 it is, a clue is Tony the Tiger). ;):D

Well, I guess it's time for this old hog to take some photos - I have one in particular that you will like (as to which ASH1 it is, a clue is Tony the Tiger). ;):D

Oh. No. No, no, no, no, no . . . .

You REALLY have it?! :D Greeeeen with envy, Old Hog. Green with envy.

Simply cannot wait to see her! :thumbsup::p Please????

Last edited:
Is this the one you mean? This is the photo from when I bought it; I will take some better pics.

View attachment 1194413

:D Frosted with tiger stripes.

Uh. Yeah. That would be the one. Man oh man is that sweeeeet! Very first thing I am ordering if and when the Custom Shop ever opens its doors again to us mere mortals. PLEASE, please take some cool pics! :cool: I cannot get enough of those (I hear there are less than 5 of them).

And you are so coy, man:rolleyes:! You lay that pic out there with no mention of that amazingly sweet G-Rex on the bottom (and I am really picky about that handle treatment, rarely liking it) like it is totally normal to have sitting around ;). Hey, I have the twin of the second from the top thanks to RichardW! That is, if she is a middy.

". . . a couple of other custom ASH1s I will try to include." Now THAT is quite a tease! :p I don't know if anything can top a Nuked, Frosted ASH1, but I look forward to all the pics you can manage to post! :cool:

Time permitting, naturally. I understand busy. No worries, though the anticipation is in fact killing me :confused:.

My camera is currently in India (I am not) so not much photography from me for a bit....

My camera is currently in India (I am not) so not much photography from me for a bit....

Sounds like a story there!

Andy, the 4th ASH1 down in gk4ever2's pic above looks like it is the same G10 , though G rex'd, as on your favorite ASH1 as posted recently elsewhere. Is that right? What colors are those supposed to be? Really nice. Wish it was still a thing!

The Princess of Darkness (Mrs Andy) is holidaying in India....and I said hell no ;)

Yes I saw that G10 and agree it looks like mine. It is an early iteration of "Black and Tan".

The Princess of Darkness (Mrs Andy) is holidaying in India....and I said hell no ;)

Yes I saw that G10 and agree it looks like mine. It is an early iteration of "Black and Tan".

Well I think it is a LOT better lookin' than the std Blk & Tan, which just does not appeal to me at all.

Here you go Ken:

1) .22" thick frosted with tiger stripes and black G-10
I know of two with these stripes, one fat one and this one; there might be a few more.
STR-L.JPG
STR-LC.JPG
STR-R.JPG
STR-RC.JPG

2) .22" thick satin with black paper micarta
BLK-P.JPG

3) .32" thick satin with black G-10
As I recall, this one and the black paper one above were special orders by the original owner. Satin ASH-1s with a fat blade are rare, and so are .22" thick satin ASH-1 blades except for the LE model with tiger hide micarta.
BLK-G.JPG

4) .22" thick sage double-edge with green linen micarta (it is the darkest green linen I have handled)
Notice the slender 3B2 blade profile.
DEFTR.JPG

5) I saved the best for last!
.22" thick satin custom with a serrated harpoon tip followed by a hollow-ground band breaker (both top edges are sharp); the main edge has a very slight recurve. The handle has finger grooves and I'm guessing the wood is some type of burl. This is my favorite!
WD-L.JPG
WD-R.JPG

Uh. Yeah. That would be the one. Man oh man is that sweeeeet! Very first thing I am ordering if and when the Custom Shop ever opens its doors again to us mere mortals. PLEASE, please take some cool pics! :cool: I cannot get enough of those (I hear there are less than 5 of them).

And you are so coy, man:rolleyes:! You lay that pic out there with no mention of that amazingly sweet G-Rex on the bottom (and I am really picky about that handle treatment, rarely liking it) like it is totally normal to have sitting around ;). Hey, I have the twin of the second from the top thanks to RichardW! That is, if she is a middy.
Just to be clear, that photo was from the previous owner of the tiger stripe ASH-1, so the other knives in the photo are not mine.

Back