Review All new REK Sparrow!!

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
*disclaimer: Although I know Josh REK Knives REK Knives personally, this does not affect my review. I strive to make unbiased reviews and a truthful look at the knives REK makes. I am not reimbursed nor do I receive free/discounted knives for review. The Sparrow I am reviewing today is NOT mine. I did, however, buy the prototype for myself.*

The REK SPARROW
2616C41B-2DC0-4EBF-BBDA-89C7F4B35AC3.jpeg
Here we go. :D

After almost two years in the making, I am so very excited to be able to review REK’s new folding knife offering, the “Sparrow.”
This has been a wild and fun ride, and the time has finally come for it to be introduced to all you knife knuts. I need to slow down here, but I’m just so excited!! …let’s start at the beginning.

Roughly two years ago, I was approached by Josh from REK with a question…”What folding knife should I make next.” One of my suggestions, being an avid front flipper fan, was a 3 1/8” front flipper.

After a few (lots)of conversations regarding specifications, action, size, pocket clip design and shape, Josh went to work on an idea he had in his mind. His design is well executed and beautiful.
A few months into the project, I had a plastic prototype in my hands!!! Our goal here was to make a front flipper with amazing action, and silky smoothness, all on phosphor bronze washers.

I have been extremely lucky to have a Sparrow prototype for testing and trouble shooting for almost a year now. What a privilege and an honor. Thank you, Josh.

Over the last few months, the Sparrow prototype has been tweeked and improved. (Some features that were improved include blade shape, softer jimping, no scallops, detent, lockbar tension and lockup percentage.)

The Sparrow is now ready to make it’s debut!

I hope I still have your attention and excitement. This was a long intro, so I’ll just dive right in to the good stuff!

*I will be reviewing the first custom version of the Sparrow (not the prototype), which is on loan to me. I will include photo’s of the prototype at the end of the review for your viewing pleasure.

This is REK’s second folding knife design to date, and did Josh ever nail this one!

36B107A0-87B9-42C8-BADB-799962124DA0.jpeg

Let’s start with the blade. It is 3 1/8” of Bohler M390 goodness. It is hand rubbed and executed perfectly. I’ve said this before, and I hold fast to my stance, Josh’s grinds are a work of art. From the crisp symmetrical grinds to the literal “razor sharp” edge, his skill shines through. The Sparrow’s blade is ground and sharpened for maximum cutting performance and its drop point shape lends to most all EDC cutting tasks. A sharpening choil has been incorporated for ease of sharpening.

The blade’s cutting ability is unhindered by other opening mechanisms and is purely a front flipper. The blade’s cutting path is clean and without “extras” to get in the way of utilizing the blades full edge.

It has the M390 etch stylishly positioned on the lockside of the blade, visible when closed and hidden when open. A beautiful touch.

The jimping on the blade, a must for front flippers, is well thought out and designed. It is “soft” to the touch when deploying the blade in all manner of opening choices. Very, very impressive.

Moving on to the scales. The scales on this Sparrow are sculpted titanium and boast lightening pockets on their interior. A working stonewash finish and vibrant blue hardware top it all off, wonderfully. There are no, NO, sharp edges on the Sparrow’s scales and the chamfers are done exceptionally well.

In hand, the scales feel great and allow for my hand to “choke” up to the blade for more controlled work and tip control.
The lockbar has been equipped with an insert which also doubles as an over-travel stop.
I appreciate the contouring and sculpting on these scales, as they allow the handle of the Sparrow to be slimmer and still have a great grip purchase. Overall, it just feels fantastic in hand.

04041BC7-6983-466E-BB8C-5092F5EFA56C.jpeg

One thing I absolutely love about working with REK knives is Josh’s design mind. He has added some very cool custom touches on the Sparrow.

One excellent feature is the pocket clip. A totally new design for REK and constructed for ease of use and unhindered lockbar/detent performance. It is a milled titanium one piece clip. It sports a milled line down it’s center and two-tone finish. The pocket clip also has an off-center retention nub which sits away from the lockbar.
1A652DA6-3121-43E3-8F4B-93C84BBCE1BC.jpeg
It has “soft” scallops on its upper sides to aid in opening control with various opening methods. The clip sits in a milled pocket in the scales and is solid.
With this clip, I am so happy to report that it slides in and out of the pocket with ease, and its retention is great!!

Another fantastic touch is the backspacer. Josh has designed the Sparrow with a hidden lanyard hole. This is one of my favorite features, as it controls the fob, keeping it out of the way for blade deployment. The backspacer is also chamfered and looks snazzy.

03A705F4-0771-46BB-8E7A-2E9F5326C2D9.jpeg

Let’s talk about ACTION!!

To me, this is the heart and soul of a great front flipper. The pivot is a sort of hybrid bushing style pivot. The stop pin is internal and the blade glides on PB washers.

The Sparrow is perfectly balanced for front flipping, neither front nor back heavy.

Josh has ABSOLUTELY nailed the action on the Sparrow. After many chats, and much back-and-forth idea’s, the way Josh has executed the detent pressure is a work of art. Just phenomenal.

The detent is in-between light/medium pressure and is superbly intuitive. It snaps open with authority. The blade’s detent holds the blade firmly when in the closed position, a feature that has impressed me, as this is hard to obtain on a light/medium action.

I have zero issues flipping the Sparrow with all opening techniques, and it is a pleasure to operate.

I can’t say enough about how impressed and pleased I am with the Sparrow’s action. Closing is pleasurably smooth, and care must be taken to keep one’s fingers out of the blade’s path when closing.

In conclusion, the new “Sparrow” front flipper from REK Knives is a home run, outta the park, win win for front flipping enthusiasts. The Sparrow is so intuitive that even a “beginner” will overcome the learning curve quickly. It is truly a very wonderful knife.

The Sparrow’s snappy, crisp detent is a joy and the smoothness of the pb washers is phenominal.

Josh’s attention to detail and his drive for perfection has produced a wonderful medium sized front flipper that, IMO, rivals all others.

I am so very excited to have been a part of this build, included in the process, and I am astonished by the outcome of the Sparrow.

Josh, it has been an absolute pleasure. You nailed this one right on the nose. Looking forward to other projects in the future.

Sparrow Specs

Blade Length - 3 1/8 inches
Blade Steel - Bohler M390
Handle Length - 4 1/4 inches
Handle material - Titanium/internal milled pockets
Overall length - 7 3/8 inches
Hardware - Anodized titanium
Lockbar Features - Insert with over travel stop
Weight - 3.2oz

Action Video -

A couple of comparisions shots…proto vs. custom
7E70F0B1-AF0C-4E6C-A35E-C323E503C7D5.jpegF0469D86-612C-4A7A-8DC6-7AA852AC8503.jpeg76949CC1-4824-422B-B551-06050BF9712F.jpegEB825D54-75B0-4361-A3D2-CB5D6DD25969.jpeg
Top to bottom: Shirogorov Neon Zero, REK Sparrow, Burger LEXK

Last edited:
This looks absolutely phenomenal! What a nice looking knife, that grind looks perfect too. I’ve never had a front flipper and honestly not even sure how they work, but I may have to try to get one of these one day. Thanks for the review and I look forward to more in use reviews and pictures!

That looks great Coleman, really like the last one with a 3 1/8” blade with Josh’s mastery of the grinder it would make a perfect companion. Only concern I have is not being able to justify one after purchasing a Kuros. With his Ember and the Kuros what else would one need?🤪

That looks great Coleman, really like the last one with a 3 1/8” blade with Josh’s mastery of the grinder it would make a perfect companion. Only concern I have is not being able to justify one after purchasing a Kuros. With his Ember and the Kuros what else would one need?🤪
Thank you, Martin. Josh really nailed this one.
It’s an in-between size. It’s longer than the Ember 2.5, shorter than the 3.5 and also smaller and thinner than the Kuros.

It’s a totally different animal than anything Josh has done so far. And in my opinion, deserves a spot up with the very best world class front flippers.

This is a bird you definitely want in hand. 😉

Last edited:
This looks absolutely phenomenal! What a nice looking knife, that grind looks perfect too. I’ve never had a front flipper and honestly not even sure how they work, but I may have to try to get one of these one day. Thanks for the review and I look forward to more in use reviews and pictures!
Yes sir! The proto Sparrow will be with me at work for the next little while…gonna continue to put it through the paces and work it a little harder. I’m not worried at all, I love knives on PB washers…tough little guys.
Looks really nice and might even be a front flipper that I could even operate!
G2
I would bet that you catch on quickly, Gary.

It’s a very fine line to get a front flipper on pb washers exactly right. Smooth action, crisp detent, and with zero blade play. All these goals take time while prototyping. Lots of time.
I very much appreciated the fact that Josh was accepting and interested in ALL my little nitpicks. And there were a few with the prototype. Haha.

Making a front flipper on bearings is relatively easy. It really is. Bearings usually center the blade well, you can snug them up without throwing tolerances off, and all you really need to do is overcome the detent and the bearings do the rest.
However, if you are going to put a bearing pivot knife through more stressful work than just your everyday mail and box openings, issues can and do arise. Some of them irreversible.
Titanium scales can get divots from the bearings, especially if they are ceramic. And then there is the fact that a great bearing pivot knife should have race washers, which is now two extra parts and more work.

To make a pb washered pivot front flipper, you must be dedicated to creating the smoothest, snappiest, detent that does not take much pressure to overcome, all while not compromising the firmness of the detent in the closed position. Josh and I came up with a detent system tolerances that work well, almost accidentally, while trouble shooting. I do hope he keeps it under wraps, at least for a while.
A pb washers front flipper must also be very smooth (not much friction) without creating bladeplay. This is what impresses me the most with the Sparrow. It is smooth and solid.

Throughout all of Josh’s builds, whether the Embers, Quarantine or Sparrow, he strives to make them as perfect as possible. This is an attribute that I truly appreciate in a custom maker…taking pride in his work, and wanting the best for his customers. Plus…Josh is a super nice guy to boot!

Hopefully you get to try out the REK Knives REK Knives Sparrow in the near future, Gary. :)

Looking for a maker's preference version in my pocket some day. Good luck to us all in scoring one of these birds worthy of a pedestal in MoMA.

Great write up Coleman. You are an inspiration as well as a muse. :)

I just wanted to add another comparison for size…this is the Sparrow with a Large CRK 21 and a Small CRK 21 (only handle color and inlays were added, sorry, it’s the only small 21 I own)
09E08526-8867-47A5-850C-1546D06C84BA.jpeg
CA3D28AF-374E-465C-88C6-19239B04976B.jpeg
It is a bit longer in length of handle and length of blade than the small 21. However, because there is no downward point at the finger choil, the Sparrow allows full comfortable “choke” up.

The Sparrow was compared to a small 21 in a youtube reviewers video, with no photo. So I just wanted to point out that while the Sparrow is closish to small 21 size, it is a totally different feel in hand.

Looking for a maker's preference version in my pocket some day. Good luck to us all in scoring one of these birds worthy of a pedestal in MoMA.

Great write up Coleman. You are an inspiration as well as a muse. :)
After seeing all the write ups from Coleman and seeing the video, I believe it would be a worthy forever blade. Not to say his Kuros is replaceable just larger. Do you know how he is going to make these available? I heard lottery😥

After seeing all the write ups from Coleman and seeing the video, I believe it would be a worthy forever blade. Not to say his Kuros is replaceable just larger. Do you know how he is going to make these available? I heard lottery😥
I don’t want to speak for Josh REK Knives REK Knives but yes, Martin, you are correct.

For the time being, lottery (aka a draw), will be the only way to get one. I know this was a hard decision for Josh to make. I do believe this is the fairest way to sell the Sparrows, though, at this time.

As we all know, Josh has some previous commitments with the Q’s, Ember 2.5 & 3.5’s and 940 reblades. So the release of Sparrows will be a few at a time, and hopefully consistent. :)

The Sparrows take some time to dial in and get all the tolerances correct, and I’m super happy Josh is not rushing them.

We all buy REK knives because of the attention to detail, and Josh’s wonderful grinds. REK is a one man show, and time is precious.

I hope everyone can be patient as things are knocked off REK’s list.

Keep the passion & keep ‘em sharp!

Coleman do you find a need for a lanyard and being Josh is hand finishing these, I‘m assuming he is incorporating your suggestions In future runs.🧐

Martin, you definitely do NOT need a fob on the sparrow. In fact most front flippers are more comfortable without one because it can get in the way. That being said, the way the lanyard hole works on the Sparrow is that it will keep a stiff fob out of the way. :)

I also like fobs, so I attached one for myself. :D

My hand is on the smaller side of medium (finger length) but definitely a medium (finger and palm width) so I hope that helps a bit.

Ummm…Josh and I do discuss suggestions and flair on his knives, but it is totally up to him if he wants to incorporate them in the future.

I like to “pretty” things up, so I have ideas I regularly put forward to Josh. That being said, Josh is quite the embellisher as well, and has amazing ideas of his own. :D

I think some of the maker’s choice Sparrows that will be available in the future are going to be quite interesting and stunning. Every Sparrow draw will be pretty unique.

A few things I appreciate about Josh, of many, is that he is willing to try new things, open to suggestions, and he just strives to learn new process, and troubleshoots superbly.

His drive to make REK Knives REK Knives some of the best cutting tools out there is worthy of applause. In a world where faster = $$$, I am very impressed with the time he takes to make every knife that goes out the door right.

woodysone woodysone

I also just want to say that ALL of REK Knives REK Knives current offerings and designs are from Josh’s mind.

I am lucky enough to have some input on tweeks and specifications on recent designs, but other than that…these are all Josh.

I appreciate being able to have some input into the aesthetics, and look forward to even more projects with REK Knives.

Yup - a FOREVER knife is my thinking too - though forever is an ambiguous timeline, at best. ;) I would describe my hand size similar to Coleman. I wear a size Large glove but that's mostly because of girth not length (yeah, please don't go there 🤫:)) so this knife will fit me perfectly.

Back