• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

All Sold.

Ranger1

Gold Member
Five tomahawks, package deal at a great price.

Here are five different tomahawks, I have collected these over the years, did some modifications on a few of them and have decided to start cleaning out a bunch of things that are just sitting.

Number one is from Steve Liley at Coal Creek Forge. Steve is long retired; his hawks were among the best. This is my version of my thoughts of the ideal spike tomahawk. I like simplicity and I never saw any use for the long & curved spikes that so many use, so this was Steve’s interpretation of my idea. This hawk has a larger than normal eye, I wanted to try a larger diameter handle. I made the handle myself using some nice maple that Steve supplied to me. The head is tightly fitted and approximately 1 inch of wood is seen above the eye.

I finished the handle by scorching it, then sanding it smooth and then coating it with aqua fortis to bring out the stripes in the maple. I used alternating applications of aqua fortis and then steel wool to smooth up the whiskers and then carefully moving it over a stove burner, more aqua fortis and I continued the process until the color was to my liking. Then, I gave it several coats of Linspeed. The result is quite nice. This is a lightweight and very fast handling hawk. The finish is fire blued; however, the steel is rather hard and it did not take that well. It could stand sharpening and there are some light scratches from some cursory woodcutting. Steve’s “SL” is stamped on the bottom of the head.

Number two is a poll hawk that I purchased from eBay long ago. The blade is thin, and there are a couple of small defects on the right cheek, but nothing that impedes its use.

Number three is a classic from H&B Forge. I visited him back in 1990 or so and pick this one up personally. The handle on this hawk is smooth and was finished with Linspeed.

Number four is a Trail Hawk from Cold Steel. Like the others, this one was lightly scorched and then sanded smooth and finished with Linspeed.

Number five is a Cold Steel Spike Hawk, I modified this one by removing that ridiculous curved spike and then merging it in with the head: it came out quite nice. I filled in the retaining screw hole with Liquid Steel. I scorched the handle, finished it with Linspeed, but then cut grasping grooves in it, ala Magua’s handle from Last of the Mohicans. Obviously, I did not finish it.

The two replacement handles came from Cold Steel. They are unused.

Take them all for $200, shipped to you CONUS, PayPal F&F, or $205 G&S. Please PM with any questions, I can provide additional photos.

Thank you.

View attachment 1505661 View attachment 1505662 View attachment 1505663

Back