All time favorite movie

are you me?
This is hard to answer, if we’re allowed to name only one movie. I like many genres. So I’ll cheat and mention my favorites from each genre I like:

Western: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (1966).

Crime/gangster: Goodfellas (1990).

Animated/anime: Your Name (Kimi no Na wa, 2016).

Martial arts: Shaolin Martial Arts (1974).

Sci-fi: Aliens (1986).

Horror: Suspiria (1977).

Comedy: Top Secret (1984).

Edit to add:

Musical: Saturday Night Fever (1977).

Jim

I have a bunch of movies that I regularly go back to, but I'd say Jaws and The Great Escape are my two favorites of all time.

My wife will not watch Jaws within a month of us going to the beach, so it's pretty much just a wintertime movie for us 😂

Seven Samurai
I have 100's of Japanses movies (mostly Samurai with some Anime and Gangster mixed in).
I'm currently rewatching the Zatoichi series (27 movies).
I've also recently enjoyed the Tarantino and Coen Westerns

Last edited:
Seven Samurai
I have 100's of Japanses movies (mostly Samurai with some Anime and Ganster mixed in).
I'm currently rewatching the Zatoichi series (27 movies).
I've also recently enjoyed the Tarantino and Coen Westerns

I had forgotten to mention the original Zatoichi movie series. My favorite chanbara movies. But I’m not certain they actually qualify as samurai movies (although they feature samurai), because the Zatoichi character himself, while a blind, unorthodox, and masterful swordsman, is not a samurai. He is actually a Yakuza, and has stated such, but he’s a chivalrous Yakuza. Zatoichi (played by Katsu Shintaro) is probably my favorite cinematic character, because of the depth of his character and emotions as we see him progress through the series. My favorites are the early ones, from 1962 through 1967 or ’68.

Jim

In 1972, when I was 7yrs old, my dad took me to see “The Cowboys“ staring John Wayne at the local drive in. It was the first movie I had ever seen and it left an indelible mark on me for many years.

Katsu Shintaro's older brother, Tomisaburo Wakayama ain't to bad with a sword either(Lone wolf and cub).
Some say Wakayama was the best. Or maybe Konoe Jushiro.

Last edited:
Katsu Shintaro's older brother, Tomisaburo Wakayama ain't to bad with a sword either(Lone wolf and cub).
Some say Wakayama was the best. Or maybe Konoe Jushiro.

Yes, the Lone Wolf and Cub films were also great. I believe that Wakayama had actually been a Judo instructor earlier in life prior to acting, and I think he also was trained in Kendo. I don't know how much real-life training Katsu had outside of the movies. They could both be menacing onscreen when their characters were in kill mode, but I think Wakayama had a bit more intimidation factor.

Jim

Sorry if my posts are going off topic, but a couple more westerns I love are:
The Big Gundown (1966), starring Lee Van Cleef.
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976).

1920s "The Crowd" (1928)
1930s "Dead End" (1937)
1940s "Laura" (1944)
1950s "The Quiet Man" (1952)
1960s "Donovan's Reef" (1963)
1970s "The Long Goodbye" (1973)
1980s "Used Cars" (1980)
1990s "Pulp Fiction" (1994)
2000s "The Royal Tenenbaums" (2001)
2010s "Moonrise Kingdom" (2012)

Lots of good ones already mentioned.
I have enjoyed The Killing (Kubrick), Hud (Newman), Papillon (McQueen), Cool Hand Luke (Newman), High Plains Drifter (Eastwood).

Oof. So many good ones out there ...

The Great Escape
12 Angry Men
Seven
Animal House
Slap Shot

Unfair to ask for a single one, and everybody else lists many :)

In that spirit, any Tarantino works for me. From Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, from Dusk 'til Dawn, the Grindhouse double feature, etc., to the last ones that I can't stop watching ....

Inglourious_Basterds_poster.jpg
Django_Unchained_Poster.jpg
The_Hateful_Eight.jpg

Back