All time favorite movie

Here is a really good one from 1965. It is a classic action adventure/survival story. The knives and spears in this look very authentic. This takes place in Africa, but is inspired by a true story from 1808 involving a trapper named John Colter in Montana and his encounter with Blackfoot Indians.

n2s

1629990831796.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll respect the OP’s question and avoiding showcasing any personal inability to make a decision. I wonder how some of you manage to navigate the daily challenges of life 🤣

Zulu

I’ll respect the OP’s question and avoiding showcasing any personal inability to make a decision. I wonder how some of you manage to navigate the daily challenges of life 🤣

Zulu
Howard Huge would have said Ice Station Zebra, but I doubt that kind of decision making is something to strive for.

n2s

I saw one of my all-time favorite movies recently, so I thought I'd share for any who might not know about it but might be interested in the subject matter. It's a movie about the cold, hard reality of survival versus the sentimentality of civilization.

The movie is "Abandon Ship" from 1957.

The story- A cruise ship sinks in the Atlantic ocean. There is only one lifeboat (actually just a row boat). There are several survivors from the sinking, but too many for the one boat. The boat is overloaded, and there are several people in the water clinging to the sides of the boat.

No distress signal was sent. No one is coming to save them. The nearest land is Africa, 1500 miles away. They have very little in the way of provisions. And there's a storm coming.

The captain is dead, and the acting captain decides that the only chance for survival is to row to Africa. But not everyone can go. Like I said, there are too many people in the boat, it's on the verge of capsizing, and they can't make the journey with people clinging to the sides. Some people will have to be left behind to the sea (and certain death).

So the captain has to decide- does he follow the "rules of civilization", sacrifice the strong and leave the weak, the sick, and the injured in the boat, in which case everyone will surely die, because the weak, sick, and injured have no chance of rowing to Africa.

Or, does he sacrifice the weak, sick, and injured, and leave the strong in the boat, because they can row, in the hopes of at least saving some people.

Great movie. It's free on Youtube.

Maybe a little cheesy, but these are the ones that I can rewatch indefinitely

Singing in the Rain
Matrix
Princess Bride
Knight's Tale
Bladerunner
Saving Private Ryan
Searchers
Terminator 2
Forest Gump

Favorite movie.......thats a tough one. The Big Country. Gregory Peck, Charleton Hesston, Burl Ives, Jean Simmons, Chuck Conners. Directed by William Wyler. Great musical score. Filmed in 1958. It is an epic western with one of the better fight scenes ever filmed. The film is beautifully photographed with great panoramic shots. Close seconds, many already mentioned - Seven Samarai, Apocalypse Now, Blazing Saddles, Blade Runner. One that holds a special place for me is Young Frankenstein - took my future bride on our first date to this movie - Pizza Hut, movie, Mcdonalds for a coke and had her home by 10:00pm as instructed by her father.

Too many to choose. My all time (If I was forced to choose) favorite is The Terminator (1984).

Any movie by Christopher Nolan. He's my favorite directors & yes I'm one of his "fanboys". Same with Tarantino, for the most part. There's 1 I criticize heavy.

I consider myself a movie buff. I've seen a lot. I literally have to break it down & separate them. I like most genres.

A lot of really good movies have been mentioned, but the greatest movie of all time is A Clockwork Orange.

Honorable mentions include: The Shining, Pulp Fiction, This Is Spinal Tap, Goodfellas, The Seven Saumari, Animal House, The Seventh Seal, Showgirls, Troll 2, The Godfather, Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War, The Outlaw Josie Wales, The Room, Fargo, Annie Hall, Scarface, Casablanca, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Maltese Falcon, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Rear Window, The Matrix, The Ten Commandments, Commando, Jaws, Terminator & T2, Fast Times at Ridgmont High, Das Boot, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Unforgiven

Dishonorable for film school overratedness: Citizen Kane, Raging Bull.

Last edited:
It has been a while since I have seen it but Power Play (1979) was an interesting political thriller about a group of military officers plotting a coup against a despot dictatorship in an unarmed South American Country. Peter o‘tool and Donald Pleasance head the cast. Perhaps not the best ever, but ence one of the best in this genre.

n2s

Back