All-Time Favorite Swamp Rat?

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
For me it’s the second generation Taliwhacker.

77C43203-C8C5-434D-8E77-E2381F19B954.jpeg
510D0C4C-4476-4278-9B36-7C304C9C354A.jpeg
I currently own about 8 Bussekin and have had a few others that I’ve sold off.

I love my two recent purchases: a Mega Swamp Warden and a SawManDu, but even my new babies can’t replace my Taliwhacker as my absolute favorite. It’s still the knife I take out on the trail the most.

It has a great, slightly blade-heavy balance. It’s light enough to carry around easily, long enough to chop wood quite well, thin enough behind the edge to zip through soft vegetation, and it’s designed to do all these things comfortably while still being a very capable fighter.

What’s your favorite rat and how come?

Last edited:
I’m still new to the Swamp Rat line. This year was my first purchase directly from Wauseon, a Christmas in July grab bag. I figured if anything, I’d keep my favorite, and sell off whatever else I got to recover some of the funds. First blade was a BG BM. Nice! Next was an Infiweiler. Cool! Then I unwrapped the third, and it was a Crabmandu. The two bigguns went on the block soon after. I love this “little” knife! It’s perfection to me in every way. If I had to sell off everything one day, this one still wouldn’t leave the house. Aside from those two, I had a Mega Warden, which ended up moving along (yes regrets) and recently got the SMD. There will definitely be more Swampy goodness in my future.

I’m still new to the Swamp Rat line. This year was my first purchase directly from Wauseon, a Christmas in July grab bag. I figured if anything, I’d keep my favorite, and sell off whatever else I got to recover some of the funds. First blade was a BG BM. Nice! Next was an Infiweiler. Cool! Then I unwrapped the third, and it was a Crabmandu. The two bigguns went on the block soon after. I love this “little” knife! It’s perfection to me in every way. If I had to sell off everything one day, this one still wouldn’t leave the house. Aside from those two, I had a Mega Warden, which ended up moving along (yes regrets) and recently got the SMD. There will definitely be more Swampy goodness in my future.

welcome to the club my friend... there is gong to be a lot of exciting things coming out of the swamp in the future!!!

+1 on the Chopweilers. Next up would be my Jackmandu.

I had a Jackmandu and the size/weight/balance were all about perfect - only reason I let it go was it didn’t have quite enough guard for me.

Jackmandu with a Rodent 7 style guard would probably be my grail if they made one...

I guess one could say that I like the Ratmandu - I've got a few around here someplace.
But I carry my R3s a lot more frequently.
And it's my Waki on display on my desk.
Those RMDs, though...

Desert Jack gets honorable mention from me.

My most used Rat model are my Swamp Wardens though. I have a bunch, stashed all over the place. Cars, packs, kitchen, nightstand, etc. Great little knife!

I guess one could say that I like the Ratmandu - I've got a few around here someplace.
But I carry my R3s a lot more frequently.
And it's my Waki on display on my desk.
Those RMDs, though...

You still have that green R3?

Tough......by numbers ;) it's the RMD. That knife hits many many sweet spots. By use for me it is my old and abused HRLM, that wonderful RMD handle wit a great slightly smaller blade for my needs. My CS Drop Point Rodent Trail rates well as does my Rodent Solution. I don't have a Choppy but WANT one badly..!!

Might have to put a Rodent Solution on the list. Looks like it would make a nice hunting knife...
They do. Rodent Trail has the same handle as the RS, but doesn't have the rounded off spine/butt. This is an old pic that might help showing them (the two custom shop knives had a choil added in place of the guard.

IMG_5976.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

Might have to put a Rodent Solution on the list. Looks like it would make a nice hunting knife...
In my opinion the Rodent Trail is a perfect hunting knife, but I would rather have the Rodent Solution as an EDC. I missed the boat on the Solution and never have managed to score one for myself. My buddy has one that I covet bit he wont turn it loose. Lol!

Back