All-Time Favorite Swamp Rat?

Probably the Choppy for me...

1523f598bb96749ccdfebcec3a0b85c9b7456c95.jpg

078aac8d292e5879db312fa8d78f55ae9d9e404a.jpg

f83b8c255987cd012a271954de3d162d7ac5d2f0.jpg

I’m pretty sure that since I started this thread I get to make the rules, no?
Rule #1: Rats are allowed to change their minds.

Ok first things first, I still love my Tali. (And frankly I love my Mega Swamp Warden and my WS1020 [I know - it’s a SYKCO]).

However, I couldn’t help but noticing that I haven’t given them or any of my other knives much love recently.

Instead I’ve been lugging this thing around:
46529D54-F4DB-4B80-898E-F9F4AFA898AE.jpeg
The Sawmandu. ^
Even for its size and chopping design, the original bevel was just a bit too obtuse for my preference. Now that it’s closer to 20dps it’s just a joy to use. I recall reading posts from years ago touting the MountainManDu and the Eraticator, and now having played with that handle quite a lot, I can say that it works very well - even when compared to full size Res-C handles.

I just returned from an extremely nice camping trip with my wife, my dog, my 18yo son and his 18yo girlfriend. I only brought about 10 knives so as not to make her think I was crazy.
508B4361-16B3-4049-A5C5-28FDEC73ECD3.jpeg
A6D5CD32-FB71-4B74-9CAC-490FC2F93CE0.jpeg
665F9090-2D78-48F9-87A4-942B6CEC230B.jpeg

On the second day the wind picked up and with the loose soil, suddenly many of our stakes weren’t doing their job (wind ended up breaking one of the legs off the shade structure...). So I in addition to clearing a firing lane for some .22 sub-sonic shooting (didn’t bother the dog just up the hill) and fire duties, I ended up making 8 chunky wooden stakes with the Sawmandu.

I wouldn’t pick it for combat, (Taliwhacker - maybe the Scrapper 6) and I probably won’t ever take it backpacking, (WS1020, plus a saw and/or light tomahawk if making fires) but as a hiking/trail clearing/camping/crafting/bash around on the deck kinda knife..? ❤️❤️

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure that since I started this thread I get to make the rules, no?
Rule #1: Rats are allowed to change their minds.

Ok first things first, I still love my Tali. (And frankly I love my Mega Swamp Warden and my WS1020 [I know - it’s a SYKCO]).

However, I couldn’t help but noticing that I haven’t given them or any of my other knives much love recently.

Instead I’ve been lugging this thing around:
View attachment 1558809
The Sawmandu. ^
Even for its size and chopping design, the original bevel was just a bit too obtuse for my preference. Now that it’s closer to 20dps it’s just a joy to use. I recall reading posts from years ago touting the MountainManDu and the Eraticator, and now having played with that handle quite a lot, I can say that it works very well - even when compared to full size Res-C handles.

I just returned from an extremely nice camping trip with my wife, my dog, my 18yo son and his 18yo girlfriend. I only brought about 10 knives so as not to make her think I was crazy.
View attachment 1558819
View attachment 1558821
View attachment 1558822

On the second day the wind picked up and with the loose soil, suddenly many of our stakes weren’t doing their job (wind ended up breaking one of the legs off the shade structure...). So I in addition to clearing a firing lane for some .22 sub-sonic shooting (didn’t bother the dog just up the hill) and fire duties, I ended up making 8 chunky wooden stakes with the Sawmandu.

I wouldn’t pick it for combat, (Taliwhacker - maybe the Scrapper 6) and I probably won’t ever take it backpacking, (WS2010, plus a saw and/or light tomahawk if making fires) but as a hiking/camping/crafting/bash around on the deck kinda knife..? ❤️❤️
That fire looks so cool.....interesting shot

My favorite is tied between my only two Rats, ratmadu se from the custom shop and the ffg infidu. Both are ffg so it’s hard to pick one, the se has sr 101 and g10 and the infidu has infi for the steel and micarta handles

Well my mega swamp warden still sees about 10 hrs a day on my belt during the work week. And its one tool id feel lost without on the job. Its a go to multi tool of prying cutting chopping scraping and it just keeps going hard..

Back