Allen, how's the Nemesis....

For use as a day-to-day folder?

Still trying to decide which ER folder to buy for my first.

Thanks in advance,

Thom

Hey Thom,

If I've missed a previous calling by you, I do apologize, it was unintentional. :)

I honestly haven't used the Nemesis much -- although I find my aesthetics to be better satisfied by this more "classic" looking Italian, I've gotta say that as a "user," the MPC seems to fare as well, and gives me a more solid feel....

However, this is not to say that the Nemesis is delicate at all. Although I have not yet had the chance to do so with the Nemesis, I think that should I "whack" a piece of wood with it as I did the MPC, it would feel just as solid and still send resonances of a fixed blade up my arm.

As a day-in, day-out EDC, this going to be one big mother to lug around. No slight to ER, but unless I wore a duty belt or web-gear as a part of my job, I would not choose to EDC one of these gigantic folders. Just to prove my point, I also never EDC my larger Strider folders, and now the only exception is the RJ Martin Avenger that I've inherited from cpirtle, which is outrageously light (but solid feeling) for such a large blade....characteristic of Martin's work, which seems to defy the laws of physics. My comfort level is about a "large" Sebbie or a "production" Strider SnG -- I'm not that big nor that small....6 ft. even, 200 lbs, built on a medium frame; it's just that this is my preference.

If you slice and dice a lot, I can see this blade as potentially being more desireable than the MPC as an EDC. However, if you intend harder tasks, the MPC gives you much more bang for not much trade off in additional weight, and its serrations do carry a certain utility value.

Hard decision, I know. :) In these cases, I tend to let my gut do the talking.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Thanks, Allen!

edited to say

I still can't make up my mind, but I think I'll pulling more towards a Fulcrum II D.

Does anyone else use the Nemesis for general utility? It seems like it's make a heck of a stylish-looking work knife.

I don't want to minimize the impact of weight on daily carry.
I know as I get older, I tolerate less and less weight on my belt.
However, I have begun to contemplate the difference between perceived weight and actual weight.
To wit: the ER Nemesis and the Spyderco Chinook II weigh almost the same, 7.93oz and 7.25oz respectively, and yet people describe the Nemesis as heavy and the Chinook as light.
I don't think .68oz makes that much of a difference.
Rather, I think the visual size of the ER Nemesis makes people think of it as heavy.
What do I know, though: I've never held either knife. :)

Ken,

I know that, compared to a Spyderco Delica or Benchmade 921, the Nemesis and the Chinook II are hefty beasts, but I've been finding the Nemesis to be a happy traveler with me. Both it and my ATR get their jobs done well. Will need to resharpen the Nemesis before too long, but it's holding up great. The only problems have been areas where knives thinner than .23" excellent, such as opening and cutting down boxes. A lot of that's pilot error, too.

Back