Alone Season 2

Alone Season 2 will be premiering in a few weeks:
[video=youtube;68FF0PtwnWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68FF0PtwnWw[/video]

Looks like it is Vancouver Island again, and some interesting developments in the gear lists. Several people have taken extra rations (even doubling up at the expense of tarps) while a few of the military/wet weather experienced are taking bivy bags. The latter being a very good choice, I think. I like David McIntyre's setup best, apart from the stainless and folding saw (also would pick him or Mike Lowe to win having to go on bio alone).

Full Bios here (in Canada you'll have to use a proxy to access the American site, or just search 'Alone 2 Cast' with each individual's name and click on 'Cached'):
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

Here's the list for everyone:

Randy Champagne

1. Full Tang stainless steel knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. Fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. Crosscut carpenter saw
6. Ax
7. -20° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Handmade bow and 6 arrows (4 broad heads, 2 field points)
10. Wire

Mary Kate Green

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart cast iron pot
4. 300 yards of fishing line and 25 hooks
5. Bow saw
6. 26-inch axe
7. 0° Rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. 12 foot x 12 foot tarp
10. Emergency rations

Nicole Apelian

1. Full Tang curved carbon steel knife with maple handle
2. Ferro rod
3. 16-inch stainless steel pan
4. 200 yards of 30 lb test fishing line, 100 yards of 80 lb test fishing lines and hooks
5. Folding saw
6. 23-inch splitting ax
7. -30° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Mike Lowe

1. Full Tang hunting knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
4. 300 yards of 50 lb test fishing line and 25 assorted hooks
5. Curved blade saw
6. 2.5 lb hickory handled axe
7. 0° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Jose Martinez Amoedo

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart cast iron pot with lid
4. 300 yards of fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. 1-piece handsaw
6. Ax
7. Canvas and flannel sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Woodworking multi-tool
10. Emergency rations

David McIntyre

1. Stainless steel knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. 270 yards of 50 lb test fishing line, 30 yards of 100 lb test line, 25 circle hooks
5. Straight-blade folding saw
6. 2 lb ax
7. 0° rated sleeping bag
8. Bivy bag with US Army-issue Gore-Tex cover
9. Gill net
10. Emergency rations

Larry Roberts

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
4. 300 yards of fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. Collapsible saw
6. Ax
7. -20° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Paracord
10. Emergency rations

Justin Vititoe

1. Multi-tool with 17 different tools
2. Ferro rod
3. 5 quart pan
4. 10 meters of 8mm climbing rope
5. 1-piece handsaw
6. Ax
7. Down sleeping bag with sleeves
8. Nylon netted hammock
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Desmond White

1. Full Tang knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
4. 300 yards of 40 lb test fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. Folding saw
6. Ax
7. -10° rated sleeping bag
8. Bivy bag with Gore-Tex cover
9. Gill net
10. Emergency rations

Tracy Wilson

1. Hunting knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. 200 yards of 40 lb test fishing line, 100 yards of 20 lb test line and 25 hooks
5. Collapsible saw
6. 3 lb ax
7. -40° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info. I don't watch as much tv as I used to, but I watched all of Alone season 1. Any idea what time of year it was filmed? I see some greenery in the video but everyone looks bundled up too.

Not sure, but I'll say a September/October start just based on the images and when they started the first season.

One of the few interesting shows still on tv anyway.

Wow mostly everyone is worried about starving more than most other concerns. All but one person took extra rations and many took two sets of rations. Not a lot of weather coverage/protection; only one is taking a tarp (smart) and only two have bivies.
Axes and saws make a lot of sense so does fishing gear. 100% will take Ferro rods (duh).
I enjoyed last season, hope to see some folks a little more comfortable in the wild than last time.

Probably same time of year as last time, after the salmon run as the bears will be a lower threat at that time of year, as well as the weather worsening will again act as a limiter on a lot of them. From the number of saws compared to last season, looks like more cabin type shelters are being planned, perhaps they felt that tarps didn't provide the animal protection that they thought they needed?

any word on if the base gear set is changing? that may have played a part in the choices. Some things make sense, but some don't. I guess we will see.

I think they may be focusing on non-folding saws for durability. As convenient as folding saws are they do have a serious weakness at the hinge, and in a few cases it sounds as if these may be smaller carpentry-type saws rather than crosscut/pulp saws. Although even these can work pretty good if they are just dealing with smaller logs for a cabin, so you may be right.

I know my own plan would be to build something sturdy off of a lean-to/tipi shape or build a separate lean-to and a more solid structure out of firewood (the structure is your firewood until it all gets established). So I would like to see if any of them try to develop more established fires and basically keep them going (apart from saving time it may be a help in predator prevention).

Haven't heard too much yet, but I am guessing nothing has changed in the gear possibilities list and that the very significant amount of rations given is the reason for people taking multiple extras. It is a huge advantage if they can stay dry and keep their minds strong. I'm also guessing they get to use the canvas tarp from the camera gear and knowledge of this is a big reason for the lack of tarps in the list. But for keeping sleeping gear dry and insulated from the ground, and as potential water collection/improvised gear I think it's a difficult thing to pass up. And part of the reason I think the folks with a bivy may do well.

From their bios it sounds as though they are quite experienced, right into the professional level. So it'll be interesting to see how they do. Now I want to get out for a couple weeks to see how I'd build my own.

I think last season they were able to utilize the tarp that covered their camera gear and may be the reason most did not select a tarp as one of the 10. I could be wrong?

Never watched the show, but since I shared a campfire with one of the competitors I plan on checking it out.

Also I thought they had a tarp supplied that wasn't part of the ten items. So they already have 2 tarps including the camera tarp. Wonder what Justin's plan is for getting food?

Alone Season 2 will be premiering in a few weeks:
Looks like it is Vancouver Island again, and some interesting developments in the gear lists. Several people have taken extra rations (even doubling up at the expense of tarps) while a few of the military/wet weather experienced are taking bivy bags. The latter being a very good choice, I think. I like David McIntyre's setup best, apart from the stainless and folding saw (also would pick him or Mike Lowe to win having to go on bio alone).

Dave McIntyre used to post here as Pict.

Thank you for posting this - been looking for updates periodically. It will be interesting to see if the new cast brings more skills than beating out starvation to win. Really looking forward to the new season.

I tried contacting them about being a contestant...guess they didn't want an amateur such as myself on there. :D
Which is too bad; I think some of us amateurs would do some entertaining things.

And maybe someone watching would learn valuable lessons from my silly mistakes. :)

I looked over the lists and bios, trying to think who would be strong contenders... but I just don't know, there are too many moving parts to work out the odds.

Should be interesting! :thumbup:

I tried contacting them about being a contestant...guess they didn't want an amateur such as myself on there. :D
Which is too bad; I think some of us amateurs would do some entertaining things.

And maybe someone watching would learn valuable lessons from my silly mistakes. :)

Yeah, why not? Perhaps keep trying and just make it clear that you have the will to do it. Probably have to make your video with a hook.

sideways, it's true. No matter how skilled you are you could be dropped off in an unlucky zone. In a recent Kochanski video he says he wouldn't be willing to try one of these contests unless he was dropped off in one of the few areas which had prime gathering resources.

yup. there is definitely some luck of the draw involved.

do you get an area with southern sun exposure for less less damp problems, what about easy natural resources (food, water, fire, building supplies), are you in a high wind area or on a game trail etc. Some will be forced to tap out because of unforeseeable accidents or health issues.

then there is the psychological side of things. it looks to me like they've made every effort to choose contestants who'll be able to deal with the logistics of a 10 item challenge. as time wears on though the psychological toughness will be more and more important.

no matter how well equipped one is for a short stint... how ready is one to stay on for an indefinite amount of time alone in the woods... How do you reconcile your quest for adventure/social proof/whatever-got-you-to-join-up-in-the-first-place with what you left behind. Your life, friends, and family. I imagine that is quite the mindflip when you are sitting there going on week 7 not knowing how close to tapping out the other contestants are. :D

Yeah, why not? Perhaps keep trying and just make it clear that you have the will to do it. Probably have to make your video with a hook.

Yep, I'll have to put something together to try for next year.
Not like I'd win (unless everyone else got eaten by bears :D), but it would be one hell of a challenge!

Damn I so wish I could go on one. No I will not win and i know it. Just like Stabman it would be one hell of an adventure.
The real problem is that I got too much going on in everyday life that its not possible for me.
Cant even get enough outdoors time as it is.

Back